Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2022, 07:11 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times

Advertisements

Spoke a friend of mine who is a lawyer working on Market St. She is going from taking the regional rail everyday to Center City, to driving 3 days a week, work from home the other days. Meanwhile she going out to eat tonight in Blue Bell, totally maskless.

Well done guys, well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 05:44 AM

386 posts, read 265,768 times
I agree the new mandate is stupid but I’m not sure why that would change her commuting habits when she comes to the city. Masks have always been required on SEPTA, this mandate doesn’t change that.

Old 04-13-2022, 06:29 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
I agree the new mandate is stupid but I’m not sure why that would change her commuting habits when she comes to the city. Masks have always been required on SEPTA, this mandate doesn’t change that.
Correct. That's a Federal mandate that looks like it won't be lifted soon, despite pushback from passenger transportation operators.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:03 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Conventions would likely be most affected, that's true. I would think that many concerts and weddings are are moving to outdoor venues at this point (or if not already, maybe this will be the impetus for them to do so).
So if you have an indoor wedding or event, you have to be masked starting Monday? That's not good for the hospitality business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
They're gonna pull this back within 10 days, my guess.
I hope. But it also makes the city health department (and Mayor) look even more ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Correct. That's a Federal mandate that looks like it won't be lifted soon, despite pushback from passenger transportation operators.
April 18th. It would be a weird scenario traveling to Philadelphia if that mandate is lifted. A person wouldn't need a mask during travel, but would need one to check into their hotel...

Old 04-13-2022, 08:37 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

I hope. But it also makes the city health department (and Mayor) look even more ridiculous.

They don't appear to care about looking utterly ridiculous.

Old 04-13-2022, 08:51 AM

I urge everyone to contact your local official and the health department. I feel bad for the hospitality industry.

Philadelphia restaurateurs worry reinstated mask policy will impact business from events and conventions, return to office

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...cy-return.html

"Frustration is brewing in the local restaurant community after government officials this week announced the upcoming reinstatement of the indoor mask mandate, making Philadelphia the first major U.S. city to bring back the requirement this spring."

Old 04-13-2022, 09:08 AM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
I don't know why either, I didn't ask. If nothing else, the reinstatement of the mandate gives the impression that COVID is once again a problem for the city. Maybe that is why she is taking the extra precaution.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:57 AM

445 posts, read 413,295 times
I'll say this - I think COVID spread is currently way higher than what the statistics show, given that many people are doing at-home test now and there is no reporting system for that.

Now, with the indoor mask mandate, there will be little to no enforcement or compliance. I agree it's bad vibes and a negative for the city's tourism industry but I really don't anticipate it having a major impact. No one is canceling trips except keyboard warriers.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
I'll say this - I think COVID spread is currently way higher than what the statistics show, given that many people are doing at-home test now and there is no reporting system for that.

Now, with the indoor mask mandate, there will be little to no enforcement or compliance. I agree it's bad vibes and a negative for the city's tourism industry but I really don't anticipate it having a major impact. No one is canceling trips except keyboard warriers.
You and others will have to share what you see (compliance wise) in the coming weeks.
I am in Philadelphia for a work day trip next week.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:30 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Okay, I'm just going to say it. At this point, who cares if people under age 60 who are otherwise healthy get Covid? With Omicron a few months ago, nearly everybody on the planet got it, vaccination status be damned. And each strain is weaker in intensity than the last. It's not the case count going up that is the problem, it's whether or not our healthcare system is going to be stressed. And it's just not happening anymore. People get sick, stay at home, and recover. Kinda like with any other airborne, respiratory virus out there.

The mask mandate is pure political theater and does nothing to actually address transmission of this airborne virus.

/rant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia