Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2022, 05:43 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
So ridiculous.

I can't find any other cities or large municipalities with mask mandates, so Philadelphia is a complete outlier. Not a good look.
On the other hand, maybe if we revert to a mask mandate now, we’ll significantly mitigate the incoming surge. Of course, the impact will be far more significant if the surrounding suburban counties follow suit (and maybe a few of them will).

Don’t get me wrong. I find this frustrating. It’s incredibly frustrating, in fact, as someone who’s fully vaccinated and boosted, and has played by all the rules, and has a child who’s still too young to be vaccinated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 10:55 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
On the other hand, maybe if we revert to a mask mandate now, we’ll significantly mitigate the incoming surge. Of course, the impact will be far more significant if the surrounding suburban counties follow suit (and maybe a few of them will).

Don’t get me wrong. I find this frustrating. It’s incredibly frustrating, in fact, as someone who’s fully vaccinated and boosted, and has played by all the rules, and has a child who’s still too young to be vaccinated.
6ABC had a story on their site yesterday evening in which they were mapping the thinking of local health officials regarding requiring masks again. The article noted that the people at CHOP said the city didn't need to reimpose mask mandates, because there was plenty of hospital capacity to handle cases requiring hospitalization.

And that's the thing that just about everyone seems to be completely overlooking about this latest surge as well as the Omicron variant and the new subvariant. Yes, cases are surging, but hospitalizations and severe cases aren't. The people I know who have all gotten COVID in this recent bout convalesced at home and were back to normal in two weeks or less. There don't even seem to be as many cases of "long COVID" caused by these variants.

This, to me, suggests (for the umpteenth time) that SARS-CoV-2 is headed in the direction of other coronviruses: the easier they are to catch, the less likely they are to kill you. (As I type this, there's an item on MSNBC about House Speaker Nancy Pelosi getting a negative COVID test — four days after testing positive.)

And what this suggests is that the combination of this weakening of the virus and widespread vaccination is working, and that it doesn't require that we all don masks again in order to stay healthy. I think the folks at CHOP are on target. (Edited to add: And I should note that the people I know who got infected were all vaxxed and boostered.)

Old 04-12-2022, 05:55 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomelo View Post
Dems need all the help they can get in Pennsylvania, and stupid stuff like this is going to cost them one of the few seats they can win. I do not understand how Dems have not got the nationwide word out that they should not even be saying COVID at this point.
Debate about the mask mandates is fair enough…but ignoring COVID would be to our peril locally and beyond. Both the city and state mirror the 67% national average vaccination rate. That’s just below the 70% estimate to achieve low-end herd immunity with the high end being 85%. We still have a long way to go.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:09 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
Just throw a mask on. WTF?

Old 04-12-2022, 08:50 AM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Just throw a mask on. WTF?
This totally and completely throws a wrench into many business's RTO plans and in turn will hurt center city. And when it comes to how it applies to restaurants, it is a complete performance. I know, I will just put on a mask for 10 seconds when I go take my seat at Quizzo tonight, but why? Because a board of medical professionals who are accountable to the major only, decided to ignore CDC guidance? No thanks

Old 04-12-2022, 09:01 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
I completely understand and sympathize with the annoyance, but I think there's a bit of an overreaction as to some type of economic impact that's being predicted.

People are going to grumble, that's expected--hell, I do too. But especially with spring ramping up and people wanting to spend as much time outdoors as possible, it's: 1) not going to apply nearly as much as does in the wintertime, and 2) much more likely to be a short-lived bump.

It's certainly not like the last surge.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:44 AM

People are going to pay far less attention to this mask mandate. The city has no way to enforce it, businesses find it ridiculous and people are over it.

This will be rescinded in a couple weeks when they realize 1. it was overly cautious and 2. completely toothless.

Old 04-12-2022, 11:30 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I completely understand and sympathize with the annoyance, but I think there's a bit of an overreaction as to some type of economic impact that's being predicted.

People are going to grumble, that's expected--hell, I do too. But especially with spring ramping up and people wanting to spend as much time outdoors as possible, it's: 1) not going to apply nearly as much as does in the wintertime, and 2) much more likely to be a short-lived bump.

It's certainly not like the last surge.
How will this affect indoor event? Conventions, concerts, weddings, etc.? Masks are required for all of those?

Old 04-12-2022, 02:22 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
How will this affect indoor event? Conventions, concerts, weddings, etc.? Masks are required for all of those?
Conventions would likely be most affected, that's true. I would think that many concerts and weddings are are moving to outdoor venues at this point (or if not already, maybe this will be the impetus for them to do so).

Old 04-12-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Conventions would likely be most affected, that's true. I would think that many concerts and weddings are are moving to outdoor venues at this point (or if not already, maybe this will be the impetus for them to do so).
They're gonna pull this back within 10 days, my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia