Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:58 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,903,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I was curious, so I did some very limited research using an imperfect tool. But using zillow, I took one Doylestown home for sale for $409K with an estimated value of $385K, and the taxes were $5324. I then took one home in Cinnaminson for sale for $400K with the same estimated value of $385K, and the taxes were $11,691.

Now, I won't draw conclusions based on two properties, but I certainly wouldn't take it at face value that the property taxes are comparable without seeing some evidence.

.. Pick same age homes.. Cause I pay 1/2 that.. I found similar age ho,mes and I stand corrected that D town is lower. But they are within $2500 on 560k homes. So they are close.. A LOT closer then you make it out ot be. In fact. There are not homes in Cinna for $385k.. The closest one I found on Zollow is at $360k and its taxes are $8600...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 03:44 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,731,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
.. Pick same age homes.. Cause I pay 1/2 that.. I found similar age ho,mes and I stand corrected that D town is lower. But they are within $2500 on 560k homes. So they are close.. A LOT closer then you make it out ot be. In fact. There are not homes in Cinna for $385k.. The closest one I found on Zollow is at $360k and its taxes are $8600...
And a LOT farther away than you made them out to be. Besides, I said I wouldn't draw any conclusions from my sample, unlike your unqualified statement that both places are comparable. Regarding homes in Cinnaminson, the link I provided seems like a legitimate listing. I realize it is about 10 years newer than the Doylestown one, but it also is on a smaller lot.

Believe me, I have no pony in this race and don't really care to argue about it. I just think posters should be careful about how they present things to outsiders looking for information about an area.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:29 PM

21 posts, read 54,055 times
Default Doylestown

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenFam View Post
A couple of you have said that taxes are high in Doylestown....is there somewhere that I can find this info online? Also, my husband used to live in the Lower Merion area so we started talking about moving there in a few years. He also mentioned Downingtown, Chadds Ford, Ardmore and some other areas. Everything that I am reading about these specifics towns is that people, and their children, hold a sense of entitlement and are "snobbish". This has made me shy away from those specific places (even though I do respect their schools' reputations). I have read such nice things about Doylestown and was hoping to find out if it is friendly and welcoming.

Thank You!!
Doylestown is lovely, but very expensive, high taxes, and not particularly friendly and welcoming.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:06 AM

621 posts, read 1,424,145 times
Haved lived just outside of Doylestown for 30 or so years. This is a small town that has really come up in the world in the past 15 yrs or so. Doylestown used to be somewhere you went if you had to go to court (Bucks County seat) but there wasn't much else to do there or reason to go there.
Today D'town has great restaurants, cool little businesses, and it's own personality. It's become rather upscale and they have done a great job of reinventing the town.
On the friendly scale.... probably no better or worse then anywhere on the east coast. If you are used to small town mid west, you would probably not think we are an outgoing and friendly bunch. I just think it's an east coast thing..... nod hello and keep walking.
The central Bucks area still has the farming, still has open land, you'll see horses and cows. Small business does fairly well, not totally overwhelmed with strip malls. It's not what it was, but if you want to live an hour from the beach, from skiiing, and to NY/Phila/Princeton at a reasonable price... there are great small neighborhoods to check out.
I would suggest you take a long weekend and check it out.
Dual

Old 11-17-2011, 03:34 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,703,728 times
I always found the native folk to be friendly, and very polite, even to strangers. As for affordability, Quakertown seemed more affordable, although more out of the way.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-17-2011 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: removed transplant comment

Old 11-17-2011, 04:05 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,569,765 times
Just an FYI, This thread is from the summer of 2011 and the poster has not posted on city data since July of last year and those posts were on the NJ forum.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-08-2012 at 08:15 AM..

Old 06-06-2012, 03:44 PM

201 posts, read 298,926 times
A couple of people here have indicated that 611 is horrible traffic. I too and considering moving to Doylestown and commuting to Horsham and would need to rely on 611. How is the traffic early in the morning and after rush hour? I usually like to get in early (around 8am), and leave around 6.
Thanks!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:09 PM

692 posts, read 2,354,147 times
If you leave at 6am you would be fine.... and you'd get to Horsham in probably 15-20 minutes. If you left at 8 on the other hand, you'd have quite a bit of traffic/headache to deal with.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 PM

154 posts, read 257,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
I always found the native folk to be friendly, and very polite, even to strangers. As for affordability, Quakertown seemed more affordable, although more out of the way.
As a Doylestown native, I agree with this. I live in MA now and have for 15 years, and it took me a long time to get used to the New England standoffishness after growing up in a place where everyone waved or said hello whenever I was out for a walk. Whenever I visit my parents in D-town I have to readjust to how friendly everyone in the area is.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:27 PM

21 posts, read 54,055 times
I have lived in Doylestown for almost 18 years and I find that attitude to be rather prevalent. There is a sense of entitlement. Having said that, there are some very lovely people, but many...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia