Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 06:42 AM

3 posts, read 3,775 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed all the litter on the streets and highways in this area? I live off rt 252 in the Daylesford townhouse community. I have been in that neighborhood for 12 years and have noticed a steady decline in its appearance, especially over the last 2-4 years.

I keep hoping someone else would notice but it seems no one cares that our community and the area in general is beginning to look like crap. The billboard across the street already gives it a commercial feel and we dont need the garbage and careless people to make it worse.

I am aware of the adopt-a-highway program. A lot of streets in this area are apparently sponsored. The sponsors have agreed to "beautify" their section of road 4 times a year but I have NEVER seen anyone picking up the litter so the program doesnt seem to work.

Also, there is tidy up tredyffrin day which is a great program but 1 day a year of cleanup is clearly not enough.

rt 202 is very bad, especially near the on off ramps. I travel these roads every day and it just gives the supposedly nice area a very "trashy" feel. No pun intended.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 AM

128 posts, read 267,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puravida1969 View Post
Has anyone else noticed all the litter on the streets and highways in this area? I live off rt 252 in the Daylesford townhouse community. I have been in that neighborhood for 12 years and have noticed a steady decline in its appearance, especially over the last 2-4 years.

I keep hoping someone else would notice but it seems no one cares that our community and the area in general is beginning to look like crap. The billboard across the street already gives it a commercial feel and we dont need the garbage and careless people to make it worse.

I am aware of the adopt-a-highway program. A lot of streets in this area are apparently sponsored. The sponsors have agreed to "beautify" their section of road 4 times a year but I have NEVER seen anyone picking up the litter so the program doesnt seem to work.

Also, there is tidy up tredyffrin day which is a great program but 1 day a year of cleanup is clearly not enough.

rt 202 is very bad, especially near the on off ramps. I travel these roads every day and it just gives the supposedly nice area a very "trashy" feel. No pun intended.

Thoughts?
I live in Chesterbrook and haven't noticed. Then again, I may not be paying close attention to the surrounding areas. Are you talking only about 202? I take that road but nothing in particular sticks out. Usually I'm fairly perceptive about stuff like that. I'll be more observant on my ride home from work today.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:14 AM

The part of 202 I am talking about is between the PA turnpike ( VF ramp ) and where we live. Its not just that road but almost all roads around there. Another bad one is along 252 between chesterbrook and rt 30. It seems to get a litter better after crossing rt 30 toward Waynesboro etc..

It seems to be in pockets. And realize a lot of the garbage is covered by spring and summer growth so it will look even worse when the grass and trees etc die off in the fall..

Old 07-25-2011, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,095 times
I live on Cassat and travel 202 between Chesterbrook and King of Prussia everyday. I agree, the trash and litter along the roads around here is DISGUSTING!! I can not believe the local leaders do not see it or choose to ignore it. I recently traveled to Long Island and made it a point to pay attention to see how those roads compared to our roads. Hands down, the Jersey Turnpike and Long Island expressway were both much cleaner and better maintained than this stretch on the PA turnpike and even 202!!! What is PA doing wrong???

Old 08-01-2011, 02:51 PM

I was near Boston the other day and actually saw a litter crew on the highway!!! Wow.. Very cool.. Returned to reality driving the PA turnpike and 202 today. Depressing..

Old 10-17-2011, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,849 times
I agree about 202. I think PennDot is responsible but they dont do anything about the garbage and car parts that are piling up roadside. Weeds and tree growth are also a problem. It is an eyesore but its also not their top priority.

Prison litter crew?

Adopt highway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia