Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 01:58 AM

11 posts, read 22,391 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have just accepted a job offer from Drexel University and will be relocating to Philly next August. My husband is a CPA and will most likely to find a job in downtown. We are both in our mid-30s.

For the first one or two years we would like to rent. I don't like to drive so ideally we'd like to be closer to the university, but we have heard that the University City is mostly for students and don't seem to have many nice, quiet choices.

Any suggestions where to look? I thought about Ardmore but it looks like the commute isn't that convenient. Center City might be an option too but most decent apartments are very expensive...
Will really appreciate your input-- thanks in advance!

Here are our responses to the questions for new residents:

When are you moving?
August 2012
Where are you coming from?
Los Angeles
Why are you moving?
Work
Where will you be working?
Drexel
Have you been here yet?
Only visited for one week
Will you buy or rent?
Rent first
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft?
No specific preference
How much can you spend?
Hopefully under 2200/ month
Do you have pets?
No
Do you want or need a yard?
A yard would be good but not necessary
Are you keeping a car?
Will have a car but don't want to drive it often
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
Clam and quiet
What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Train or subway stations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 04:12 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
Ardmore is only a 20 minute train ride to 30th Street, which is a couple of blocks from Drexel.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,176,024 times
$2200 will generally get you a nicer-to-high end 2BR apt in most Center City neighborhoods and perhaps even a home in some parts of University City.

Most of the student "noise" in University City is east of 43rd Street. However, the apartment stock west of 43rd Street is rather old. Short of renting one of the condos around 47th and Pine, a house may make sense. Most of University City is a mellow, socioeconomic mix including families, grad students and Penn/Drexel/USP professionals with an interesting array of restaurants, particularly West African, that are a better value than comparables over in Center City.

On the Center City side of the river, there are neighborhoods - Fitler Square, Southwest Center City, even Rittenhouse Square - that would be a healthy walk or short transit commute to Drexel. Center City as a whole is but two square miles so a commute from downtown to Drexel will never take that long.

If you do prefer the suburbs, then I concur that Ardmore would be a reasonable enough commute by train. Most of the towns along the same train route are known as "The Main Line", a string of long-established generally upscale communities. Lots of shopping along the common "Main Street" of Lancaster Avenue/Route 30 with the twin malls at King of Prussia (our South Coast Plaza) not far away. $2200 would go pretty far with 1-2BR apts here as well, depending on your amenity preferences.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,828,358 times
you might like the area of west philly around clark park

Old 11-22-2011, 10:54 PM

11 posts, read 22,391 times
Thanks for replying to my post. Very helpful!

I searched for some apartments in Center City and it seemed that the rents are really high... most 2b/2b rentals are priced over $2000. Is there any particular source for finding good deals? I have looked at websites such as Carigslit and Trulia, but would appreciate some pointers regarding where to find rental information. Or should I talk to a realtor?

Thanks again, and happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Jade

Old 11-23-2011, 12:11 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,220,702 times
If you are looking in Center City there are alot of property management agencies in town, you could probably google property management + Center City Philadelphia. Closer you are to Rittenhouse Square the better off you will be imo.

If you are thinking suburbs try weichertrents . com. Go to the map click PA and the 2 closest counties to University City are Delaware County and Montgomery County.Type in your max rent you want to pay and you should have a bunch of options. They have a section for private houses and another for apts/townhomes etc. If you have any questions on towns someone here will be glad to help you.

The good thing about this area no matter where you choose to live you will be 10-15 minute car ride to a train station that will take you right to 30th Street Station which is right next to Drexel U.. You simply park your car at the lot and take the train into town.

Weichert Rents example.

http://www.weichertrents.com/search/...000&search=bkr

Good luck.

Last edited by rainrock; 11-23-2011 at 12:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia