Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I thought it was clear that I realized this fact...as I noted in my post that it "skipped over beta completely". I'm confused, are you calling ME a negadelphian?
Thought your post was more reality than negative FWIW

I think we both agree it is a positive regardless of whether the ranking is pure reality, positive PR is good and speaks to positive direction of the city overall with many underlying issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Good to see some positive news about Philly. It does have to work on its reputation as one of the most segregated cities however. Any cultural rating's system that doesn't take this into account really is not taken seriously by me.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Good to see some positive news about Philly. It does have to work on its reputation as one of the most segregated cities however. Any cultural rating's system that doesn't take this into account really is not taken seriously by me.

Diversity and segregation come in many different forms and while Philly has become more integrated and diverse in the last ten years it still has a long way to go yet on the whole has a lot of diversity actually.

Though in terms of cultural offerings their are two sides, one the segregated nabes can create a more authentic offeirng in some regards and regardless of segregation the cultural offerings in the city are still very impressive, especially relative to most US cities

Old 12-04-2011, 11:01 AM

9,351 posts, read 13,017,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I love Philadelphia but come on, this is unbelievable.

Quote from the article: "Philadelphians probably don't have to read about that in a magazine, either. They're already experiencing it by visiting the wealth of historic attractions, or taking in exhibits at the Art Museum, a touring Broadway-style production at the Forrest Theatre, or a Philadelphia Orchestra or chamber music performance at the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts".

"Taking in exhibits at the Art Museum"? Do these peeps know how many art museums there are in NYC, including the Metropolitian? And what about the Smithsonian in Washington DC? "Touring Broadway-style production at the Forrest Theatre". Thats nice but what about the city that actually has Broadway!

Regardless of this strange poll, nationally Philadelphia is behind New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington DC in culture. The real question is where Philadelphia ranks among Boston, San Francisco, Miami, Houston and possibly other cities like New Orleans?
I agree with most of this. I think Philadelphia has a ton of culture to offer on a per capita basis, but it's tough to beat cities like New York, LA, and Chicago, given their size advantages.

I think DC is a bit more debatable, depending on how exactly you define "culture." In terms of cultural institutions, DC undoubtedly wins. But the city as a whole has a very generic, sterile feel. Don't get me wrong, DC is a great place to live/visit, but Philly has a whole lot more personality, which I don't think should be discounted when making these assessments.

I think Boston and San Francisco are definitely among our competitors (and what fine cities to be competing with!).

Old 12-04-2011, 11:13 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,902 times
Quote:
I don't think the average tourist or business traveler knows or cares if Philly is segregated or not. They want to know what there is worth seeing, is it entertaining and will they be safe. Right now too many people have the false idea that they won't be safe, no matter how much culture there is.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:34 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,069 times
Quote:
But NYC is very segregated - maybe moreso than Philly. But somehow no one counts that as a knock against it. Instead people come to see the "charming ethnic enclaves" and whatnot.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:02 PM

377 posts, read 667,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I thought it was clear that I realized this fact...as I noted in my post that it "skipped over beta completely". I'm confused, are you calling ME a negadelphian?
Of course not. I gave you credit for the link and for highlighting a major positive by referencing your post. You may be a bit over sensitive.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:21 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,886,219 times
Philadelphia itself is a wonderful city. Nice historic buildings, restaurants, shopping. Its the animals that call it home that trash it up and will kill you in a second for $5 that ruins it..

Old 12-04-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Philadelphia itself is a wonderful city. Nice historic buildings, restaurants, shopping. Its the animals that call it home that trash it up and will kill you in a second for $5 that ruins it..

Ah Frank, S Jerseys favorite crime reporter on the city

Old 12-04-2011, 03:27 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Ah Frank, S Jerseys favorite crime reporter on the city
Quiet, you animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia