Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 11:19 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times

Advertisements

And your non stop "Philly is the worlds best city with no problems because I refuse to see it all" does not count for well-work refrain?? Oh please.. I speak the truth, sorry if you are offended.. Well actually you should not be as long as your not part of Phillys problem and part of the solution..

oh and by the way I am entitled to my opinion whether it be good or bad, without your beat down, am I correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Ah, only frank could take good news for Philly as another opportunity to repeat his predictable and well-worn refrain. As soon as Cinnaminson tops Philly in a T&L survey, drop me a DM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 12:06 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
And your non stop "Philly is the worlds best city with no problems because I refuse to see it all" does not count for well-work refrain??
LOL. Find posts where I do this, please.
Quote:
Well actually you should not be as long as your not part of Phillys problem and part of the solution..
In addition to being a tax paying citizen and a dues-paying member of a civic organization, I also volunteer at two different non-profit organizations in Philly. Aside from an off-key, oft-repeated refrain which has absolutely no impact on the real world, what are you doing to make a difference in Philadelphia?
Quote:
oh and by the way I am entitled to my opinion whether it be good or bad, without your beat down, am I correct?
Yes and no. Yes you are entitled to your opinion. No, however - on this forum you are not entitled to give it without having it examined by others. Some will concur with your assessments while others will not. It's something you'll have to deal with.

Which leads me to me original view: only frank would take a piece of good news about Philly and use it an opportunity to rant once again about a worn out single-sided topic not even remotely related to the thread. Move along folks - nothing new here.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 12-08-2011 at 12:16 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
LOL. Find posts where I do this, please.

In addition to being a tax paying citizen and a dues-paying member of a civic organization, I also volunteer at two different non-profit organizations in Philly. Aside from an off-key, oft-repeated refrain which has absolutely no impact on the real world, what are you doing to make a difference in Philadelphia?

Yes and no. Yes you are entitled to your opinion. No, however - on this forum you are not entitled to give it without having it examined by others. Some will concur with your assessments while others will not. It's something you'll have to deal with.

Which leads me to me original view: only frank would take a piece of good news about Philly and use it an opportunity to rant once again about a worn out single-sided topic not even remotely related to the thread. Move along folks - nothing new here.

People think I have a point. And I do... Scroll up.. This is a open opinion forum, not a one sided forum, you do NOT have a right to not allow me my opinion, no matter how much you don't agree with it.. Suck it up.. Some people of the city are dragging it down.. Sorry to tell you.. Maybe not you but there are a whole lot who will do what I say in a second to you. Personally, I am doing MORE for Philly then you do. My career is something to raise the level of an important part of the city, and I deal with these people who are dragging it down on a daily basis.... You have no idea who I am or what I do.. Leave it at that.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:20 PM

Like most of your dubious and unsubstantiated claims, I challenged you to find a pattern of where I do this:
Quote:
And your non stop "Philly is the worlds best city with no problems because I refuse to see it all" does not count for well-work refrain??
Looks like you failed. Rather than do so, you change the topic:
Quote:
People think I have a point. And I do... Scroll up.. This is a open opinion forum, not a one sided forum, you do NOT have a right to not allow me my opinion, no matter how much you don't agree with it.. Suck it up.. Some people of the city are dragging it down.. Sorry to tell you.. Maybe not you but there are a whole lot who will do what I say in a second to you. Personally, I am doing MORE for Philly then you do. My career is something to raise the level of an important part of the city, and I deal with these people who are dragging it down on a daily basis.... You have no idea who I am or what I do.. Leave it at that.
Back at you: you have no idea who I am or everything I do either. As you said, "Leave it at that."

I am allowing you your opinion. Only the moderator can deny you that. I simply find it an off-balance single-focus crusade and am free to label it as such. If you don't like my observations, stop posting the same old tired, opinionated, unsubstantiated claptrap.

That said, your drumbeat on crime and grime is a sideshow for this thread. Feel free to continue to beat it, however, if it fits your agenda. This thread is about the T&L survey, so I've said all I will regarding your old news, oft-repeated yet non-related claims in this thread. If you care to actually open a thread on the topics that interest you rather than hijack yet another thread such as this one, I may or may not contribute.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Like most of your dubious and unsubstantiated claims, I challenged you to find a pattern of where I do this:

Looks like you failed. Rather than do so, you change the topic:

Back at you: you have no idea who I am or everything I do either. As you said, "Leave it at that."

I am allowing you your opinion. Only the moderator can deny you that. I simply find it an off-balance single-focus crusade and am free to label it as such. If you don't like my observations, stop posting the same old tired, opinionated, unsubstantiated claptrap.

That said, your drumbeat on crime and grime is a sideshow for this thread. Feel free to continue to beat it, however, if it fits your agenda. This thread is about the T&L survey, so I've said all I will regarding your old news, oft-repeated yet non-related claims in this thread. If you care to actually open a thread on the topics that interest you rather than hijack yet another thread such as this one, I may or may not contribute.
wrong. if you don't like what my observations are, don't reply. I speak the truth, much to your dismay.. If you don't believe me, Ill start posting links to crime data. But that will just make you more mad.. and you will cry foul.. Tough. Its the truth. suck it up. Did you read all of my original post I said it was a wonderful city. Its the few rotton people that are ruining it. Of course you did not read all of it. Its obvious.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 PM

^^^ As I said, unless you have some relevant comments on the T&L survey, I've said all I will regarding your sideshow. Start a new thread if you want to talk about crime & grime.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
While the premise of the T&L poll was geared towards visitors, it does remind residents that Philly has a lot to offer on the cultural front. Most of said culture is located in areas where only modest street wisdom may be needed by tourists.
That said...

Let's refocus on how the city's cultural offerings affect life - or not - for visitors and residents, rather thank getting sidetracked into an off-topic general discussion on the merits - or lack thereof - of living in the city.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:26 PM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Let's refocus on how the city's cultural offerings affect life - or not - for visitors and residents, rather thank getting sidetracked into an off-topic general discussion on the merits - or lack thereof - of living in the city.
Quick hit:

The residents take the city's cultural offerings for granted, and the visitors discover they're actually first rate once beyond the Historic Square Mile.

Not New York-class? So what? No US city's cultural offerings are. But they are among the best in the country in a number of areas, from the breadth of collections at the Philadelphia Museum of Art to the still-world-class Philadelphia Orchestra to the small Old City art galleries that launched First Friday, which has since taken on a life of its own, complete with street culture. And I know I've left a lot out of this brief assessment.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 AM

Since moving here from Houston about year ago (a city and metro slightly larger than Philly), I am amazed at the quality of theatre here. Houston has a first rate Tony-winning equity theatre called the Alley. In my estimation, Philly has three such theaters of the same caliber - the Wilma, the Philadelphia Theatre Company and the Arden. This is in addition to the numerous small venues as well as university theatre offerings.

Yes, no city can compete with NYC in terms of culture. That point aside, when I consider the variety and quality of theatre, performing arts companies, museums, art galleries, lectures, botanical gardens, historical attractions and festivals (remember PIFA?), the findings of this survey make sense to me.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:15 AM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Perhaps I should disclose here that I am not a disinterested party in this discussion - I am also a part of the city's cultural community.

I am one of the more than 130 members of the Philadelphia Gay Men's Chorus, which is celebrating its 30th anniiversary this year. (Our holiday concert is taking place this weekend. If you'd like to hear us, there's a chance you can get tickets for the 2 p.m. matinee today [12/10/11]; very few tickets remain for the evening show).

Philadelphia's musical community is IMO as vibrant as its theater community. And I have learned firsthand through my participation in PGMC that community cultural organizations such as ours play roles that go well beyond the creation and presentation of art, music, and culture. They can be, as ours has been, valuable sources of personal support for their members, resources for the communities that support them through outreach and charitable activities, and goodwilll ambassadors when they represent the city beyond it.

We are all that much richer here thanks to the presence of not only our world-class cultural and artistic institutions but also the many community arts and culture organizations such as PGMC. The tourists may know little or nothing about us, but we too help make this city an outstanding cultural destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia