Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 PM

10 posts, read 14,462 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job as a foster care social worker. My office is located at Broad and Fisher, right by Einstein Hospital and past Olney Transportation Center. I occasionally have to go to Family Court. I could park in CC and would be reimbursed, but I know parking downtown is a pain and the traffic can be awful. I was thinking of maybe taking to subway from Olney station to Race and Vine. I would usually need to be in court around 9:30AM sometimes later, like 2PM. What would you guys suggest? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 09:34 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
Coming from where?

Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 PM

Well I was thinking of parking where I work (by Olney station) and taking that down to Race and Vine. I would be coming from Willow Grove.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:33 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkThatBus View Post
Well I was thinking of parking where I work (by Olney station) and taking that down to Race and Vine. I would be coming from Willow Grove.
I'm confused, would you need to be in at work that day as well? Or would you only have to go to the Family Court? If you do not have to go to work that day, why not just take the SEPTA West Trenton Regional Rail line from Meadowbrook, Rydal or Noble into Center City? You could get off at Suburban Station and be much closer to the Family Court Building both the old one and when it relocates to the new one being constructed at 15th and Arch.

It would be much quicker and much easier on you than driving to Olney than taking the Subway.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:46 PM

Yes, I would need to go back to the office after I would get out of court. Yeah, if I didn't have to go to work I'd just take the train from Willow Grove to Suburban station, but I have paperwork I'll have to do and may have other visits to do those days. My real question is, would taking the subway be advisable, is it safe, or would it just be better to drive and deal with the hassle of traffic and parking?

Old 12-22-2012, 04:40 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,977 times
Quote:
Yes, I would need to go back to the office after I would get out of court. Yeah, if I didn't have to go to work I'd just take the train from Willow Grove to Suburban station, but I have paperwork I'll have to do and may have other visits to do those days. My real question is, would taking the subway be advisable, is it safe, or would it just be better to drive and deal with the hassle of traffic and parking?
Something like 150,000 people a day take the Broad Street Line, myself including. It's safer than your car, if that's your only alternative.

It'll take just over 10 minutes to Race Vine on an express train - express trains run every 7 minutes rush hour, 12 minutes during non-rush hours. A local will take you a little longer. Don't get on the 8th and Market train, it goes to 8th and Market (a lot of people don't understand that part somehow).

After they move to their new building on Love Park, you'll just get off at City Hall instead and be right there.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,605 times
Take the subway. From Olney to Race/Vine during the day it's frequent, quick, easy and safe.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:51 AM

Thanks for all your help! Just what I was looking for. I will definitely take the Broad Street Line when I need to get down to Family Court.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:34 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
Quote:
Thanks for all your help! Just what I was looking for. I will definitely take the Broad Street Line when I need to get down to Family Court.
The only problem with driving and parking in CC is the cost. If you can get reimbursed then driving is still easier.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:36 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times
The Express train is the way to go. As someone else said, just be careful about the 8th & Market trains. They're usually just two car trains anyway so they're easy to spot. They also run express but if you get on one you have to get off at Girard to transfer to a local or to one of the Walnut-Locust express trains.

Anyway, when you're going to a place across the street from the subway and you're coming from a place that's a block from the subway there's pretty much no easier or faster way than taking that subway.

There's no way you can get from Broad & Olney to Race St. in 12 minutes in a car. Not unless it has lights and sirens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia