Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:25 AM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
I moved to Philly 3 years ago and I cannot stress how unbelievably rude the people are around here. And to add to that, if a person is not rude, they are extremely boring and lack any personality. All people do is work, or obsess over various sports teams.

Lastly, whenever a person ask me where I'm from (California), they all ask me, "Why did you move here?" in a way that let's you know that Pennsylvanian is a boring state filled with rude people.
Meh... in very basic terms it comes down to inherent differences embeded in two geographically disconnected parts of our country. Qualities, preferences and habbits vary dramactically from the northeast to the midwest, the southeast to the northwest, etc... Approach to strangers (i.e. perceived friendliness) is just one of the many differences peoples of theses regions have adopted in silos. If you think people in Philly are rude Calicali, never ever ever drive North on 95.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:25 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,356 times
Quote:
I moved to Philly 3 years ago and I cannot stress how unbelievably rude the people are around here. And to add to that, if a person is not rude, they are extremely boring and lack any personality. All people do is work, or obsess over various sports teams.

Lastly, whenever a person ask me where I'm from (California), they all ask me, "Why did you move here?" in a way that let's you know that Pennsylvanian is a boring state filled with rude people.
I get it (although it was a bit hard to parse): the only way a Philadelphian can not be boring or have a personality is to be rude. I'm not rude by nature (just by occasional circumstance), so I must be boring and lacking in personality. So if I amp up the rude a bit, I'll have more things to talk about (becoming less boring) and my personality (even though it's its Dark Side) will become more defined. It's a plan, then! I'll let you know how it works out.

Seriously, if your perception of the city is so overwhelmingly negative, find some place that makes you happy. Everyone deserves (or should at least try) to feel good about where they live. And if you open yourself up to new experiences and if you try to engage people differently, don't be surprised if the place that makes you happy is Philly.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:58 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
Quote:

amen. it certainly is boring, atleast outside of philly it is.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:10 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times
Quote:

I don't know you personally, but taking an educated guess the problem most likely is you. You should probably work on yourself a bit and get back to us in about a year or so. Good luck.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 AM

58 posts, read 146,517 times
Why does our culture deem some experiences more significant than others? Boring LA suburbs with famous names are assumed to be more interesting than vibrant Philadelphia neighborhoods. Someone
who knows someone who works on a TV show is considered more sophisticated than someone who knows a trade.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:35 PM

38 posts, read 80,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
- i suppose i should add my 2 cents to the original poster. my main con of living in philly was the high wage tax. it was particularly shotty for me because i worked out of the city and my employer didnt take it directly out of my check.
I would actually like to know how bad is the city tax in Philadelphia proper? I mean if you were to work a regular 40 hour a week job at let's say $10 an hour (for example)? Would there be that much taken from your check? I remember getting city tax taken while I was living in Chicago, but at the end of the year I was able to get some of that back at least if I remember correctly.

Also on a side note...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
People in Philly are just more direct, cut to the chase and get straight to the point. Once you adjust and accept it for what it is, you'll realize it's not rudeness.
This is the most true statement I think I have EVER read!!! I've never been to Philly (believe it or not), but living in Milwaukee and Chicago we experience the same things! Maybe a bit more direct on the East Coast, but I'm ready for it! Philadelphia here I come!!!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:07 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Hopeful View Post
I would actually like to know how bad is the city tax in Philadelphia proper? I mean if you were to work a regular 40 hour a week job at let's say $10 an hour (for example)? Would there be that much taken from your check? I remember getting city tax taken while I was living in Chicago, but at the end of the year I was able to get some of that back at least if I remember correctly.
It's 3.9%, so if you worked 40 hours a week at 10 dollars an hour, they'd take about $15.50 out. If you live in the suburbs and work in the city, they still take 3.5% out...so one would save about a dollar a week.

I don't think there's a way to get that money back. It's just a tax on wages.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:11 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
If you can't find what you are looking for in the Philly Metro Area, you won't find what you are looking for anywhere. Except maybe a desert? So if you want a desert than Philly is not for you.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:01 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
amen. it certainly is boring, atleast outside of philly it is.
yup

Old 04-20-2012, 02:10 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom605 View Post
They probably asked you why you moved to Philly because of the weather. Everyone seems to think that every day is perfect and sunny in California. Maybe it is; I've never lived there. But that's probably why they said that.

On the other hand, there are some Philadelphians who honestly hate Philly.
If you live in southern California, the weather year around really is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia