Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 06:37 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryoda305 View Post
Thank you for the previous suggestion, this is super helpful.

Chicago is super segregated, everything read in the news happens on the south side.
We live in a old Italian American north side neighborhood that's been gentrified by hipsters. She feels super safe.

I'm open to hear about areas of Philly that are feel similarly safe, but she feels like the south jersey suburban life with easy access to city center is probably the best option.
nj is hardly the only place (but it is the closest to the beach). you might also want to consider manayunk/roxborough, east falls, chestnut hill, mt airy (all semi-suburban city neighborhoods) as well as ardmore. they may actually be better if you're wife gets a job in the western suburbs it would be a tough drive in jersey.
Philadelphia isn't frightening don't worry so much. Center city is the third most populous downtown in the country, probably very different from dallas in both good and bad ways. generally speaking, you should be fine in center city if you're fine in downtown chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 06:41 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
The biggest thing on her mind for Philly is the safety aspect. Everyone she speaks to is frightening her that living in the city is dangerous. So I'm guessing southern NJ might be the best, like the previous poster.
Congrats on your job opportunities. It is quite a decision to have to make in terms of choosing two completely different cities in two completely different regions.

Although I've never been to Chicago, my understanding is it definitely is a city that has far more similarities with Philadelphia than Dallas. Hence, although Dallas would definitely provide you with a lower cost-of-living, the difference in terms of lifestyles is worth considering.

Also, in terms of your wife's concerns about safety, we would be lying if we did not admit to Philly's crime issues. However, it is important to understand the dynamics of the city's crime, as well. The most violent of the city's crimes are highly concentrated in a handful of neighborhoods that can be entirely avoided, which I imagine is not unlike Chicago. Certainly wherever you live street smarts are important, but again, it is important to keep perspective and look at individual neighborhood statistics.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 07-28-2012, 07:35 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,977 times
Quote:

Chicago is super segregated, everything read in the news happens on the south side.
We live in a old Italian American north side neighborhood that's been gentrified by hipsters. She feels super safe.

I'm open to hear about areas of Philly that are feel similarly safe, but she feels like the south jersey suburban life with easy access to city center is probably the best option.
Philadelphia is segregated too. It's the plight of the modern city. The fact that you're coming from Chicago means you should really have a better idea about how cities work - and how peoples misconceptions of cities work. There are probably plenty of people in the Chicago area who are terrified to go to your neighborhood because it's in "Dangerous Chicago." And what would you say to someone who would only willing to consider living in Wisconsin or Indiana? It's all pretty silly.

A very quick online search will show crime rates in Chicago and Philadelphia to be very similar.

If you think you'd like living in South Jersey, driving to a park and ride to go to work, driving around to malls and junk, then I don't really want to dissuade you from that. Or maybe you're just getting to the age where your psychology is leading you to the suburbs. Which is also fine. And also, there are a couple of legitimately nice small towns on the Jersey side. But if you're going to move to the burbs and be unhappy just over some naivete about Philadelphia being vastly more dangerous to Chicago...that would be very sad. The part implying there are no orthodontists in the city is just confusing.

The "nice", "safe", "gentrified", "stable", "up-and-coming" and so on neighborhoods have been discussed a lot on this and other forums, and you can find them all around. Center City, South Philly, West Philly, Lower North Philly, the River Wards, Northeast, and Northwest. It really depends on what you want, and with your budget you could really probably do it anywhere.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:04 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,589,431 times
Center City and the areas surrounding it is safe using common sense that I am sure you use in Chicago.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:21 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times
Quote:

Philadelphia is not much different.

If you divide chicago by 2 and flip it upside down - that's philadelphia. Of course, it's important to note that to get an accurate comparison for what it's like here you'd have to imagine putting NYC in place of Milwaukee, Baltimore in place of Pontiac and DC in place of Bloomington. (a scenario you can't replicate in Dallas)

Everything on the news here happens in North Philly or the northern half of West Philly (because comeon, the west side of Chicago has its problems too). I would definitely visit and look around before basing a decision on 2nd hand information about "danger".

There's nothing wrong with the 'burbs. There are great places to live on both sides of the river. If the shoe was on my foot I would wait to see where both of you were working before making a permanent decision. If you're renting you're not going to be locked in anywhere for more than a year. Based on your job alone - living in south jersey is a much quicker commute than living in the PA 'burbs.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:51 AM

735 posts, read 1,130,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Everything on the news here happens in North Philly or the northern half of West Philly (because comeon, the west side of Chicago has its problems too). I would definitely visit and look around before basing a decision on 2nd hand information about "danger".
Southwest too, in parts at least. Other than that, I completely agree with what you're saying.

Also, there are plenty of burbs to the west, north, and northwest of the city that are every bit as good as (and in my opinion superior to) the suburbs on the Jersey side.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:47 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,991 times
Quote:
If you're considering NJ, look very closely at the real estate taxes. Very high, compared to Philly and generally higher than suburbs close to Philly on the PA side. Plus, you'd still be paying the Philly wage tax, although at a slightly lower rate than if you were living in Philly proper.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:58 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,048 times
Quote:
It's a really tough decision. The things you mention are spot on. I grew up in the tri-state area, so being connected again to the eastern seaboard sounds wonderful. My wife, however, is from south Florida, which is much closer to the southern car culture and lack of seasons. Chicago has been nice because you can largely have it all, except you get 6 months of brutal winter instead of brutal summer. cars and non-car.

The biggest thing on her mind for Philly is the safety aspect. Everyone she speaks to is frightening her that living in the city is dangerous. So I'm guessing southern NJ might be the best, like the previous poster.
You'll both be fine in Philly. Manayunk, West Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill, Upper Northeast, Art Museum Area, Fairmount, Franklyntown, Northern Liberties, Springarden, Old City, Fitler Square, Rittenhouse (area), Bella Vista, Graduate Hospital, University City, Cityline (area) There are many neighborhoods that you'd find appealing and could reside in without many problems outside of usual big city irritations. (Parking, traffic noise,dog poo, a noisy neighbor or two)

Coming from Chicago I'm sure you can relate..

Old 07-29-2012, 10:00 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
If you're considering NJ, look very closely at the real estate taxes.
The OP already said that he's renting.

I don't know why people from the PA 'burbs get so hung up on tax rates. especially when it comes to NJ property taxes - it's not true. It doesn't matter where in this region you live. There's a far stronger correlation between income and taxes paid as opposed to location and taxes paid.

The average annual tax bill in Collingswood is $5200. In Narberth it's $4800.

Sure, some towns in NJ with really expensive homes and exceptionally good school districts have exceptionally high taxes - but that's the exception, not the rule.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:14 PM

203 posts, read 386,343 times
I lived in the city of Chicago for over 3 years and visit Philly frequently.

The bottom line is that if you're comfortable in your neighborhood in Chicago, you should be comfortable with comparable neighborhoods in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia