Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 03:00 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
The above comments are why you don't ask gun questions anywhere but on a gun forum.
gotta keep it in the echo chamber?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
gotta keep it in the echo chamber?
People who encourage you to exercise your rights to the level of their comfort, and the rallying of the underlings around them. I OC every day and I've had not one run in with anyone "putting a bullseye on the back of my head" "trying to grab my gun" "Police targeting me". Not one. It's like the hunters who support anti-gun legislation that doesn't restrict hunting then try to claim they are 2A supporters.

I'm not saying everyone has to be all in, I'm just saying there's a lot of opinion being passed off as fact in this thread.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 PM

469 posts, read 925,462 times
Quote:
People who encourage you to exercise your rights to the level of their comfort, and the rallying of the underlings around them. I OC every day and I've had not one run in with anyone "putting a bullseye on the back of my head" "trying to grab my gun" "Police targeting me". Not one. It's like the hunters who support anti-gun legislation that doesn't restrict hunting then try to claim they are 2A supporters.

I'm not saying everyone has to be all in, I'm just saying there's a lot of opinion being passed off as fact in this thread.
If someone wants to open carry,that`s their right and I could care less.I was only saying it`s not for me. Personally when I`M out and about,I don`t want anyone knowing I`M carrying.I work in the heart of North Philly and the last thing I want,is some nut knowing I have a $500 gun on me,that he could sell for a lot more.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:17 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times
Quote:

Don't you live in DelCo?

I didn't try to pass off anything as fact.

As someone who carried a rifle for work for 5 years it's my opinion . . . but when the shoe fits, hey.

I have a 1st amendment right to say whatever the heck I want, whenever i want to. But as an adult (and as recent news might portend - as an american) I have a responsibility to think about what I'm going to say and chose my words wisely.

There is no 2nd amendment right to open carry but, assuming for a minute that there was, a reasonable adult in a civil society might chose a more civilized way to walk around.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,437 times
Quote:
Don't you live in DelCo?
Berks
Quote:
I didn't try to pass off anything as fact.
I was more referring to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin19119 View Post
Getting off topic a little. As I said before I`M pro gun and I have a gun permit for over 17yrs now.That being said I would never want to open carry.I don`t care where I`M at. I think when you open carry ,you are putting a bullseye on the back of your head.You have people that would shoot you for a few dollars sticking out of your pocket.I could see some trash shooting someone in the back of the head for a $550 glock on their hip.Real world,if you are walking down the street and someone can see you have a gun on your hip and they want it.They are going to shoot you from behind.Unless you have eyes in the back of your head,you are dead meat.
What is your view on open carry?
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
We I lived in Philly and was called to jury duty I took my gun with me on the subway and to the courthouse and they gladly gave me a locker to put the gun away as I was in court
Show me any source where an OCer has been the target of a gun grab or been singled out by a criminal for carrying. And OC is not illegal in any of the cities cited by frank. Restricted in Philly, but not illegal.

Quote:
I have a 1st amendment right to say whatever the heck I want, whenever i want to. But as an adult (and as recent news might portend - as an american) I have a responsibility to think about what I'm going to say and chose my words wisely.

There is no 2nd amendment right to open carry but, assuming for a minute that there was, a reasonable adult in a civil society might chose a more civilized way to walk around.
You sure do have the first amendment right to say whatever the heck you want. And the second amendment says "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Shall not be infringed. It says nothing about open carry, concealed carry, carry on your forehead or carry in your shoe, it says your right to carry shall not be infringed.

Anyway, the important thing about OC being legal is less the walking around with a full frame .45 on your hip, which is important and I do do that in summer, but it's more about not having to panic if you might be printing or your shirt might ride up some. In a state like Texas, if you're printing, you're committing a crime. Does that sound right to you? Someone's a responsible citizen if their gun's fully concealed but a criminal if it shows through their shirt? It's a load of bunk.

Anyway, I think the OP has moved on, and this isn't an argument for this forum. I grew up in a state where the People's ability to own, let alone carry, a firearm is very strictly regulated, all gun owners are treated like and looked at as criminals from the get-go. So if I'm a little defensive of my gun rights, it's because I know how quickly they can be stripped away.

Quote:
As someone who carried a rifle for work for 5 years it's my opinion
By this statement, I assume you are saying you were in the military. If that's true, thank you for your service.

Last edited by BTA88; 09-18-2012 at 11:23 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 04:45 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
Berks

I was more referring to:

Show me any source where an OCer has been the target of a gun grab or been singled out by a criminal for carrying. And OC is not illegal in any of the cities cited by frank. Restricted in Philly, but not illegal.

Try open carry in Philly and see what happens. You will be in court fighting to get your gun back and to stay out of trouble.
Laws are one thing but Police action are another..

Old 03-04-2014, 05:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,348 times
I know this is an old thread but I have to correct misinformation where I find it as it relates to guns in PA. You have the right to open carry or carry concealed in the State of PA and in Philadelphia. The ONLY difference is in PA you can open carry without any permit whatsoever BUT in Philadelphia you only need to the conceal permit which allows you carry concealed or open.

Please educate yourself on the topic and do not obtain your information from unreliable sources and that includes many of the Philadelphia Police Officers who intentionally disseminate misinformation about the right to carry laws in Philadelphia. I have a permit and I know the law and know my rights.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:29 AM

364 posts, read 733,014 times
Pleassseeeereee do not revive one of these threads.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:33 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by def519 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I have to correct misinformation where I find it as it relates to guns in PA. You have the right to open carry or carry concealed in the State of PA and in Philadelphia. The ONLY difference is in PA you can open carry without any permit whatsoever BUT in Philadelphia you only need to the conceal permit which allows you carry concealed or open.

Please educate yourself on the topic and do not obtain your information from unreliable sources and that includes many of the Philadelphia Police Officers who intentionally disseminate misinformation about the right to carry laws in Philadelphia. I have a permit and I know the law and know my rights.
Congrats cowboy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia