Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 11:24 AM

292 posts, read 372,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Very peaceful looking area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 01:49 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times
My neighborhood: Spruce Hill. Exceptionally lovely streets include Woodland Terrace, Regent Square, St. Mark's Square, "Little" Osage Ave., and the 4200 block of Pine Street.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:08 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times
East Oak Lane is very nice, but the truth is, Philadelphia has lots of classic, high-end looking neighborhoods, many with mini-mansions (or just flat out mansions). All with those classic Philadelphia fieldstone houses and lush gardens. Such in-city nice areas obviously exist in places like Chestnut Hill and Mt Airy, but there are also beautiful pockets in Wynnfield, Germantown, Overbrook and pockets in West Philly. Philadelphia, as an old Colonial city has done a great job of persevering green natural areas: public parks (Fairmount Park is the largest muni park in the world, extending all the way out to Chestnut Hill), open valleys and even farmland -- yes, farms with sheep, horses and the like.

There are so many in-city areas of Philly where you'd swear your out in the country ... and yet are in the midst of a 1.6 million person city... Drive out Wissahickon Ave to the end, or wander around the Forbidden trail or Valley Green in Chestnut Hill, and you'll see what I mean.

Old 03-01-2024, 10:07 AM

8 posts, read 2,375 times
Chestnut Hill

Old 03-03-2024, 06:43 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILLYUPTOWN View Post
[...]

HM goes to Germantown. You can easily see that if this neighborhood were revitalized it could easily be a top 5 neighborhood with its diverse housing stock, plethora of historical properties, access to the park and generous tree cover, transit access and highly walkable grid; all of which contribute to its beauty.
I read once that one wag referred to Germantown thusly: "It always seems to be one coat of paint away from being the cutest historical neighborhood in the city." And I don't think that wag's too far off the mark. But I also maintain that those who haven't been to Germantown have no idea just how eclectic and diverse (socioeconomically especially) a neighborhood this is.

3- and 4-over-1 apartment buildings (as well as some pure 4- and 5-story apartment plays) are sprouting like weeds in Germantown right now. These are bound to bring in younger and better off tenants.

There's also a development on the retail front that augurs well for Chelten Avenue's future: Weavers Way Co-op is finally opening a Germantown store. It will be housed in a former Acme supermarket at Chelten Avenue and Morris Street. Germantown's more affluent residents have been agitating for this for years. This leads me to conclude that the grocer has concluded that there are enough such residents to keep a store afloat. I'll probably join myself.

Old 03-06-2024, 07:42 AM

221 posts, read 114,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Many will disagree with me, but Strawberry Mansion (especially west of Ridge) and East Parkside are also two of the prettiest neighborhoods in the city. To this day, I don't understand why people fled from those neighborhoods during the mid-20th Century. Those neighborhoods should be two of the most desirable in the city, not as downtrodden as they've been over the years.
My guess is it has to do with proximity. Those neighborhoods you mentioned are not adjacent to Center City but happen to border some of the more violent neighborhoods in Philly. So middle class residents maybe felt they were targets due to proximity and left leaving all those mansions to be subdivided and the ghetto extended. Upscale neighborhoods like Overbrook Farms and Mt Airy didn’t face that kind of pressure while at the same time having being close to some of the best neighborhoods in the region (Main Line/Chestnut Hill) to ensure they didn’t go down the same route. University City has a similar housing stock and was close to failing but was propped up by Penn Parkside/Mansion had no such anchor so was vulnerable.

Interesting thing about those two neighborhoods is that they were Jewish neighborhoods. Originally built for the professional class; those neighborhoods were essentially suburbia. When the Main Line and other upscale areas were built up (satisfying that classes want of land and distance from working class); these upscale neighborhoods were left to Jewish population; many of whom had the income to sustain those houses but of course were shut out of suburbia. Post War when they were finally accepted, they left for places like Lower Merion and Cheltenham. Since there was no one left of means to support those large (and expensive) houses they were subdivided into apartments; which changed the character of those areas.

Old 03-06-2024, 07:47 AM

221 posts, read 114,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
East Oak Lane is very nice, but the truth is, Philadelphia has lots of classic, high-end looking neighborhoods, many with mini-mansions (or just flat out mansions). All with those classic Philadelphia fieldstone houses and lush gardens. Such in-city nice areas obviously exist in places like Chestnut Hill and Mt Airy, but there are also beautiful pockets in Wynnfield, Germantown, Overbrook and pockets in West Philly. Philadelphia, as an old Colonial city has done a great job of persevering green natural areas: public parks (Fairmount Park is the largest muni park in the world, extending all the way out to Chestnut Hill), open valleys and even farmland -- yes, farms with sheep, horses and the like.

There are so many in-city areas of Philly where you'd swear your out in the country ... and yet are in the midst of a 1.6 million person city... Drive out Wissahickon Ave to the end, or wander around the Forbidden trail or Valley Green in Chestnut Hill, and you'll see what I mean.
Yeah I grew up around EOL. Lack of public space/park space, Business District, overall lack of amenities and lack of highway connections kinda takes it out the running. There are nice properties there; and good value due to its perceived weaknesses, but that’s about it.

Old 03-06-2024, 11:13 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,789 times
Not a specific neighborhood, but the drive on Pine RD to the BJ's on Red Lion Road is one of my favorites in the city; that area of the Northeast is underrated for its beauty.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0865...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0971...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0807...8192?entry=ttu

Old 03-06-2024, 02:31 PM

752 posts, read 459,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Not a specific neighborhood, but the drive on Pine RD to the BJ's on Red Lion Road is one of my favorites in the city; that area of the Northeast is underrated for its beauty.

Oh wow, beautiful!!! That pavement striping is breathtaking! Don't get me started on the telephone poles!

I find it interesting that many are posting very suburban areas that are like a dime-a-dozen in the suburbs.

Old 03-06-2024, 03:33 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times

Last edited by kyle19125; 03-06-2024 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: I give up, photo won't post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia