Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2012, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,707 times

Advertisements

Hi all-

I am from NYC's northern suburbs and will be moving to Philly in a couple of weeks due to a new job. I will have 30 days of Corporate housing so I can look around for the right place (probably going to be a roommate situation). I am a 33yr old male, and my office will be in Bala Cynwyd, a large office park off of city ave. I will not be brining a car, so will either bike, walk train or bus to work.

I know very little about the area, but am told Manayunk is nice. What I read is that it looks a little more "early 20-something centric" than I was hoping, but I may be wrong. That said, I am looking for a sub-30 minute commute (bike, train, walk or bus) , and would like to be in a reasonably nice, middle class neighborhood. I am leaning towards Manayunk as of now but I don't want to miss any other suitable neighborhoods. Access to things within walking distance and public transportation or bike friendly roads are key for me.

What are some other reasonably priced and commutable neighborhoods I should consider, or am I on target with Manayunk? Are East Falls or Germantown comparable and/or nice? Are there any other neighborhoods in NorthWest Philly I should target?

I know this is a lot of questions, but any insight is tremendously helpful. Thanks So Much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 12:43 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Manayunk is fantastic. The main age group there seems to be mid to late 20's, but you won't feel out of place. East Falls might be a good option but not as hustling and bustling as Manayunk. Manayunk also has great shopping, food and nightlife. Germantown may be a bit far. Your best bet is probably Manayunk.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:48 AM

187 posts, read 350,436 times
Re Northwest Philly, there is definitely a 20s vibe to Manayunk but it is not so overwhelming that I would say you should dismiss it out of hand. Roxborough and East Falls are good neighborhoods without that vibe. There are several other neighborhoods on the other side of the Wissahickon Creek that I would consider, particularly Mt Airy. Parts of Germantown are dicey, parts are nice.

I have no idea how a bike commute would work in that area. The city is definitely bike friendly, but I am not sure how it would be to bike across the bridge that connects Philly to City Ave if it is even possible or if you can bike on City Ave. There are a couple of bus lines that run along City Ave including one that would give you some access to NW Philly. If you are not going to have a car, finding the exact right apartment will be key.

There is also a train line with stops in Bala and Cynwyd. There are only a few trains a day, but if your office is close enough from the train station you could live in Center City if that were your choice.

One choice you have is whether to live in the city or not and be subject to the city wage tax which is about 3.5 %. You wouldn't have to pay that particular tax if you lived in the suburbs since your job is outside of the city (of course there are other taxes and expenses to calculate). Bala Cynwyd is part of the Main Line which is the most desirable of the Philly suburbs. Bala Cynwyd, Merion, Narberth, Wynnewood, Penn Valley and Ardmore are all pretty close. I'm not sure what a bike commute would be like. Narberth in particular has a small town feel and is one of my favorite places in the region. None of these areas are very hip though.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:41 AM

283 posts, read 607,432 times
The wage tax for city residents is 3.939%. If you plan on buying a place longer term, this is a less of an issue because you can deduct your wage tax as part of an itemized tax return and Philly's property taxes are very low versus the suburbs. If you are renting, you will pay 100% of the wage tax vs. 75% (or whatever your Federal bracket is). That said, you would certainly make up for it in terms of things to do. I would rent a place in Manayunk and see how you like it. The extra wage tax you pay will be offset with a short commute and all of the conveniences of a city lifestyle versus being stuck in a more family-oriented suburb like Bala Cynwyd or Conshohocken. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,206 times
Are bikes allowed on the City Ave. bridges?

Old 10-23-2012, 11:24 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times
There is no safe way to bike across the river up there - you'd have to cross the Falls Bridge then bike up the Plateau. It's good exercise but probably not something you'd want to do every morning on your way to work.

The bus is much more practical. Most buses in NW Philly stop at the Wissahickon Transfer Center before they go down City Ave. (or head into Center City)

There are actually two train stations on City Ave. - there's the Bala Station then there's the Overbrook Station. You can transfer to a bus from either station. The 44 bus also runs express from Center City to Bala. You can also take the 10 trolley to Overbrook and catch a bus.

If it's in your budget I would live in Center City. You'd have a ton of transit options. Easy, car-free living and a more mature crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia