Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,971 times

Advertisements

I am moving down to Philly in August and I was wondering if there are any places to live that are cheap and have no/small security deposit. I really won't have much money until I get my refund on the first day of school and I have orientation the week before. There are options to live on campus, but I'd rather not be stuck living with 4 people in a three bedroom apartment. I don't mind a commute as long as I can safely and easily make it to Jefferson. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 08:47 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Did you check with Jefferson to see if they have any graduate housing?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 PM

They do, but I've heard that there are bugs and it is hard to get things repaired. The rates are also pretty high. When I went for my interview, the tour giver told us to not even apply for the one building because it's in such rough shape. I'm thinking it might be better to just suck it up and pay the extra to live on campus for at least the first year seeing how I really don't have money for a security deposit and first and last months rent until after I need to be down there.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:30 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 753915 View Post
I am moving down to Philly in August and I was wondering if there are any places to live that are cheap and have no/small security deposit. I really won't have much money until I get my refund on the first day of school and I have orientation the week before. There are options to live on campus, but I'd rather not be stuck living with 4 people in a three bedroom apartment. I don't mind a commute as long as I can safely and easily make it to Jefferson. Thanks.
What is your preferred rental budget?

Odds are that you will have to pay a security deposit equal to one month's rent unless perhaps the landlord/management company has an arrangement with Jefferson.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
If you want cheaper than Center City, you could live in South Philadelphia and take the bus or subway to school. Let us know your budget. Staying on campus for a year may be a good idea, at least until you become familiar with the area.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:28 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times
Subleasing is also an option, either a studio by yourself or somewhere with just one (or two) roommates. Somebody looking for a roommate might not require as much up front.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:04 PM

I'd rather not go over like $750 a month. I'm all for the cheaper, the better as I am taking out student loans to pay for this. This is the first time I've ever looked for an apartment and I've done much searching. I'm also cringing at the amount I'll end up paying in student loans. Honestly, I think I just might live in the university dorms because the price isn't terrible compared to some of the "luxury" studios I've seen.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:07 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Will you be primarily studying at the East Falls Campus or the Center City Campus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia