Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,462 times

Advertisements

Wilmington is very safe. The person who included it in the list of "unsafe" must have meant the inner-city part of Wilmington, and the OP isn't looking for city life. The Delaware suburbs north of Wilmington (except for Claymont in the eastern side, and even that's not bad) are way safer than the suburbs south of Philadelphia. The New Castle, Elsmere and Christiana areas south of Wilmington are a little grittier, but still safer than Chester. Further south in Newark / Pike Creek / Hockessin is very safe, but probably too far afield for the OP. If the OP is looking for just a touch of city life without being in the thick of the city, Trolley Square is a great neighborhood, comparable to University City but, frankly (and I say this as someone eager to move into U. City) much safer. If someone gets mugged there, and they do on rare occasion, it makes front page news. I work in downtown Wilmington and, with a wildly flexible schedule, have often arrived before dawn or left at 2am. I often park blocks away to save money on parking. I use street smarts because people do get mugged - a few times a *year*. Are parts of Wilmington very unsafe? Yes - Southbridge, east of downtown, Hilltop (but that is sandwiched by a couple of nicer neighborhoods - little Italy and the Canby Park area). But to say "Wilmington is unsafe", especially to someone looking into suburbs, is very misleading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 AM

11 posts, read 23,894 times
Well then I guess I learned not to just take somebody's word at face value. Well either way more things appeal to us about living in PA than living in NJ especially the landscape. Now that I have the list to start of with that BTA88 gave me I should be set to start looking for places again without worrying I'm moving into an unsafe area. Thanks everybody for your input!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Almost all of Philadelphia's suburbs are very safe. With the exceptions of Norristown, Camden, Wilmington, Coatesville and Chester, you'd be safe anywhere in Greater Phila.

Here's a list to start with:

Collegeville
Phoenixville
Spring City
Royersford
Pottstown
Downingtown
West Chester
Paoli
Springfield
East Norriton
Plymouth Meeting
Blue Bell
Drexel Hill

I could go on, but you get the picture.

Curious why you're not interested in returning to the Jersey suburbs, though. There are lots of safe burbs on that side of the Delaware, too.
There are plenty of safe places in NJ sure. We just want to I guess move somewhere and start "new" I guess you could say. Pennsylvania has always appealed to us because of the landscape and life is to short to not do what you want. Sounds cheesy but thats our reasons.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Not true for south Jersey. In fact my co worker in Montgomery county pa with a smaller home pays more taxes then us.
That is because Montgomery County on the whole is a wealthier county than anywhere in South Jersey. You can't compare Upper Class areas to Middle Class areas Frank. On average, the middle class resident will pay LESS in taxes in the PA suburbs than in the NJ suburbs... but you are right, a good amount of the time, there is little to no difference.

I think the OP just wants something new and different, and doesn't want to move back to somewhere they already lived. I think that's the point of them "not wanting to live in NJ again."

Old 01-04-2013, 11:24 AM

Check out Media, PA. It looks like they have some apartments for rent in your price range.

Media Apartments For Rent and other Media Rentals — Trulia.com

Willow Grove too
http://www.apartments.com/Pennsylvan...z0xrxWq-|2Ys4=

Old 01-04-2013, 11:28 AM

Summersm343 your spot on. We want a change. We probably counldn't afford to live in an upper class area, I will definitely look into Media.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambeezy View Post
Summersm343 your spot on. We want a change. We probably counldn't afford to live in an upper class area, I will definitely look into Media.
Media, PA is fantastic. Great middle class area with a nice walkable downtown area.

Here are apartments listings in Lower Bucks
Willow Grove Apartments for Rent | Willow Grove, PA Rentals - Apartments.com

Listings in Malvern, PA
http://www.apartments.com/Pennsylvan...hOkPJ5BfZc5w==

Listings in Lansdale
http://www.apartments.com/Pennsylvan...bD-|7cUKjiVw==

Looks like you can get something in your price range in most areas of the PA suburbs.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
That is because Montgomery County on the whole is a wealthier county than anywhere in South Jersey. You can't compare Upper Class areas to Middle Class areas Frank. On average, the middle class resident will pay LESS in taxes in the PA suburbs than in the NJ suburbs... but you are right, a good amount of the time, there is little to no difference.

I think the OP just wants something new and different, and doesn't want to move back to somewhere they already lived. I think that's the point of them "not wanting to live in NJ again."

Nope. Where we live and where my co workers lives is the same social economic class. Using the city date site to zoom into the exact location of both of us he is in the 65k-110k range and I am in the 40k-175k range. So on average we live in a wealthier area then he does.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:39 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Nope. Where we live and where my co workers lives is the same social economic class. Using the city date site to zoom into the exact location of both of us he is in the 40k-110k range and I am in the 40k-175k range. So on average we live in a wealthier area then he does.
Aside from the fact you're cherry-picking a single example, it's worth noting taxes are levied on a municipality-wide basis. Whether you live on a comparatively wealthy or poor block is inconsequential.

That said, Cinnaminson is overall slightly wealthier than Abington, but Abington is much bigger and has a markedly wider socioeconomic span. Either way, it's best to examine properties on an individual basis, because assessments can and do vary widely.

This is also of no help to the OP, who is looking to rent.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:41 AM

The taxes are important and all but what I'm most concerned about is safety. I don't care how low the taxes are, if an area is unsafe I want nothing to do with it. My g/f is 5' 4" 125lb I want to be able to let her go out alone or if I go out and leave her alone and not worry. Like I said before any suburb of Philadelphia is fine so long as it's safe and can fit reasonably within our price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia