Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:13 AM

187 posts, read 350,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by commutingsucks View Post
I will look into what was mentioned above but after a little research I'm also wondering about Wayne, Narberth, Gladwyne, Ardmore, or Bryn Mawr?
I wouldn't rush to recommend those areas to a hippie from the south who is looking for fun and diversity. The towns you mentioned are in the main line so a lot of money and some snootiness. Good safety and city access though. Maybe the in-town parts of Bryn Mawr, Ardmore or Narberth where you would get a little more diversity.

New Hope is the first town that came to mind when you mentioned your mom is a hippie. It is a little distant from Center City though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone! She is nervous about Center City, though I think she'd grow to love it. I'm driving her around there this weekend so she can see it, but I think she's better suited to a smaller place with access to Philly proper. She's choosing Philly somewhat at random but also because I'm likely relocating there for a job within the next year (I personally will be in Center City). She's wants to be in a diverse place (and I don't just mean racial diversity)-- she's somewhat of a hippie and looking for someplace fun after yeeeaaaarss of living in the middle of nowhere in the south. She's keeping a car but as long as there's street parking it's okay. No, she will not be looking for a job.

I will look into what was mentioned above but after a little research I'm also wondering about Wayne, Narberth, Gladwyne, Ardmore, or Bryn Mawr?
If your mother wants a fun diverse area, there will be no better option than Center City and surrounding core neighborhoods of the city. You will find that a TON of empty nesters move to the city. She will have a lot of people to converse with who are in the same situation as her. If she wants more of a small town feel but still inside the city, may I suggest the Northwest section of the city? Primarily Chestnut Hill, West Mt. Airy and East Falls? These areas a gorgeous, act and feel as small towns but are actually WITHIN the city limits. Also, the SEPTA Regional Rail serves this section of the city fairly well and you can reach Center City from this section of the city in approx 20 minutes via train and visa versa.

If your mother wants a diverse experience where she will meet, and interact with other people in a similar situation as her, where she can meet new people and go out and do things of interest, there really is no substitution for the city. It will be a complete change and a culture shock for sure, no doubt about that, but what is life without a little fun?

IMO, living in the suburbs won't offer much in the way of meeting new people and new friends to go out to dinner with, or go to the museum with or go to the theater with, etc. etc.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:07 PM

712 posts, read 701,585 times
One thing you may want to suggest to her is to rent for a year so that she can both get more acclimated to Philadelphia and city living. It would give her much more of an opportunity to figure out which parts of the area she perfers and whether living in Cetner City or an adjacent neighborhood might appeal to her without having to jump into the deep end of the pool immediately. Given her budget for purchasing, she should be able to find a three bedroom house to rent without much difficulty.

As far as the suburban areas you mentioned are concerned, Narberth, and Ardmore are probably your best bets. You might want to consider Bala as well. Within the City, Center City aside, the Northwest part of the city is a good option. A couple other areas you might condsier are Spruce Hill, just west of the Penn campus, and possibly Fox Chase. Spruce Hill though less dense than Center City may still be too dense for your mom's taste at the moment, but I think it would appeal to her hippie sensibilites. Fox Chase has good transportation into CC and is urban but is still leafy. I'm not sure if it would be diverse or hippie enough for her, but it's probably worth a look.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:00 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
I've read over other threads but would love some input from someone who knows the area on the specifics I'm looking for!

My mom (newly divorced and in her 50s) is moving to Philadelphia. She wants to buy a 3 BR rowhouse (or maybe a condo) for under $300K. Schools, etc. not important anymore, but she'd love somewhere with trees, a nice downtown, and a little "character" if that makes sense? GENERAL safety, rather than "just be on guard" safety is important because she's lived her entire life in the middle of nowhere so I'm not sure she'd know what that means Proximity to Center City is also nice.

I really appreciate any help! Thanks!
I'm slightly older than your mom & also, more or less, of the hippie persuasion. She should look at Chestnut Hill & Collingswood & plan to keep her car.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scosm View Post
I wouldn't rush to recommend those areas to a hippie from the south who is looking for fun and diversity. The towns you mentioned are in the main line so a lot of money and some snootiness. Good safety and city access though. Maybe the in-town parts of Bryn Mawr, Ardmore or Narberth where you would get a little more diversity.

New Hope is the first town that came to mind when you mentioned your mom is a hippie. It is a little distant from Center City though.
I think Bryn Mawr, Ardmore, or Narberth could be very good fits. Most other parts of the Main Line are far more family-oriented (and out of her price range anyway). Though to echo other posters' suggestions, I think Chestnut Hill/Mt. Airy would be the best fits for someone who's middle-aged, fun-loving, and concerned about safety. Collingswood or Westmont wouldn't be bad either.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I think Bryn Mawr, Ardmore, or Narberth could be very good fits. Most other parts of the Main Line are far more family-oriented (and out of her price range anyway). Though to echo other posters' suggestions, I think Chestnut Hill/Mt. Airy would be the best fits for someone who's middle-aged, fun-loving, and concerned about safety. Collingswood or Westmont wouldn't be bad either.
Collingswood has a few row houses. Haddonfield has a few, too, but I have no clue what the price would be. I have a friend who has a twin in Chestnut Hill.

Last edited by southbound_295; 01-30-2013 at 06:14 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 05:50 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
punched up Collingswood. $155k for a nice twin...

180k for this gem..

wow

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-31-2013 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: real estate advertising

Old 01-30-2013, 05:52 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Or for $239k you can get this!! LOTS more home for the buck then in the city people..

Home on Dayton Avenue in Collingswood

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-31-2013 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: real estate advertising

Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
One thing you may want to suggest to her is to rent for a year so that she can both get more acclimated to Philadelphia and city living. It would give her much more of an opportunity to figure out which parts of the area she perfers and whether living in Cetner City or an adjacent neighborhood might appeal to her without having to jump into the deep end of the pool immediately. Given her budget for purchasing, she should be able to find a three bedroom house to rent without much difficulty.
Excellent idea! Was going to suggest it myself, but you beat me to it.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
If what you are looking for is trees, somewhere with character, close to Center City, off street parking, diverse, safe, under 300k than there is no better option than Chestnut Hill, Mount Airy, East Falls, Wissahickon, West Germantown IMO.

There are other great areas much closer to CC but she may want more trees and parking than what will be available in Fairmount, Queen Village, Spruce Hill/Clark Park, etc. These may also be too urban for someone moving from the middle of nowhere and probably limited options for under 300k.

Neighborhoods in the NW all have downtowns of their own, with Manayunk and Chestnut Hill being the most established. I am not at all familiar with New Jersey suburbs so I won't comment but I think you will have trouble finding what you want in The Mainline towns for under 300k.

Renting is great for many people but IMO it is not worth it in Philly if you can afford to buy something. The real estate market here is not thriving but it has been stable for a long time, especially in Northwest Philly. Neighborhoods like Chestnut Hill, Mount Airy, Germantown are also great rental markets so your mom would have no trouble renting out her house (and for a lot more than the mortgage; rents in The NW seem disproportianately high in relation to the cost of owning).

Here's some examples of houses in great areas under 300K.

Close to "Downtown Mount Airy"

Close to "Downtown Chestnut Hill"

There are also plenty of great houses in Roxborough/Wissahickon (19128) and East Falls (19129).

Germantown has great areas and is a great value but a lot of it borders some sketchy areas. Granted the sketchy areas are improving daily and Germantown also borders The Wissahickon Park, Mount Airy and East Falls

This house is beautiful and I know much bigger than what your Mom wants, but just pointing out the type house you can get in Germantown:

7 Bedrooms 5,000+ Square Foot Victorian for under 300K. And yes, the area is safe.

Some others in Germantown

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-31-2013 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: sorry, but this is real estate advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia