Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:58 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,564 times

Advertisements

We just found out the address of my husband's office. It is off the PA turnpike about a mile from KOP Mall, off Freedom Rd., something like that. What suburbs are within a 30min. commute? Not 30 miles, a 30 min. commute. I don't think he wants to drive any longer than that to get to work. We were looking at Bucks County but others have told us that is too far. What other areas are nice with good school districts? Is the Main Line along this area? We are looking for houses in the $500k to $800k price range. I am from So. CA and I have not been to this area yet. We are coming back in the spring to look at houses I would like to have all my facts before we go.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 06:21 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,587,544 times
Yes, the Main Line would work well for you. KOP is about a 20-30minute drive depending on where you live on the Main Line.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:09 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Actually, KOP is 5-30 minutes from the Main Line, depending on what Main Line towns. Wayne is 5-10 minutes away. Devon and Berwyn are about 15 minutes. Villanova, Bryn Mawr, and Paoli are about 15-20 minutes. Ardmore, Malvern, and Gladwyne are about 25 minutes. Wynnewood and Bala Cynwyd are about 25-30 minutes. All of these areas have great schools, and none of these areas will be a very tough commute, for the most part, especially if you are used to CA traffic.

The school districts these area cover include Lower Merion, Radnor, and Tredyffrin-Easton.

Other areas you could check out include Media, Swarthmore, and Wallingford.

You can find homes in your budget in any of these areas, but $800k will go a lot further in a place like Berwyn or Ardmore than it would in Villanova or Gladwyne.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:08 AM

543 posts, read 1,900,564 times
Awesome thank you so much. I have a list of Main Line towns but no idea where they were in relation to KOP. Now I can concentrate on the ones within our commuting preference.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:20 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
You will love the King of Prussia Mall. Largest Mall on the east coast and I believe the largest"Shopping Mall" in the USA. Its become a regional destination, you will see buses of people from NY,Virgina,Jersey,Md pour out into the mall.

King of Prussia Mall

Along with the great mainline towns you may also want to check out areas to the west and north of King of Prussia. Especially west imo.

West-Great Valley,Chester Springs,Malvern,Pickering Valley,Charlestown Township has an incredible landscape considering you are 20 miles from a dense major city like Philadlephia.

North-Skippack,Worchester Township,Blue Bell,Gwenyd Valley,Collegeville.

Here are a couple maps to give an idea where KOP is in relation to the Mainline.KOP is in the upper middle part of the map The mainline is the area surrounding RT 30 that leads from Philadelphia westward towards Downingtown.

Lower Merion,Radnor,Haverford,Tredyffrin are all considered mainline.

http://kingofprussiamall.com/directions/area_map1.gif (broken link)

Old 10-27-2007, 03:42 PM

45 posts, read 209,389 times
Don't forget Newtown Square which is Marple School district. The houses are in that price range and excellent schools. Depending on traffic it should take no more then 25 minutes or less. Like the other person said the Main Line is a large area so it will depend which town on the main line.

Good luck

Old 10-30-2007, 02:33 PM

425 posts, read 1,570,763 times
You might also want to look into Phenoxville. The school district is rated very highly and you can get a lot for your money. It is an are that is really growing and appreciating in value.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:16 PM

5 posts, read 67,856 times
I am in love with Perkiomen Valley School District. I keep trying to move closer to work but I keep coming back to this area because of the schools. People here are so nice. When I moved my new neighbors all came and brought me a welcome gift, brownies, cake, etc. It made me feel like this was home. The schools all have the best technology and have helped my child reach the gifted level her 2nd year at the school.

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-13-2007 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 12-13-2007, 03:08 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
Please keep in touch with us after your visit here. I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Philly area after you've seen it.-Leigh

Old 12-13-2007, 06:50 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,946 times
I live in Lafayette Hill and it takes me about 20 minutes to get to KOP Mall on a good day. The longest it's even been was probably a little over 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia