Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 05:17 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
You are more independent or have more freedom of choice. I used the term "rich" too much in a general sense; that is my fault. When I say rich, i dont just mean you have more money than the next man; I also mean you have less constraints on what it is you can do.

For example, you say you don't have any debts; I bet that you can suddenly up and move away from the Philadelphia region, and it won't be too much of a hassle on you. But when you go into debt (student loans, mortgage, car note, etc) you put constraints on yourself, cause you can't just up and move away from your home if you got a mortgage to pay. You got obligations that keep you here in Philly if you got debt
I'm just having a laugh. The way you're arguing your point is a tad under-thought, but I agree with the basic premise and what you're driving at, more or less. This is actually an area I'm hoping to tackle in my research in Psychology here at UPenn. For the record, I did in fact just pick up and move to Philadelphia I''m brand new here, as of January 7th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 05:28 PM

572 posts, read 1,871,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Reason #2134982 this is absolutely hilarious: even at the peak of the slave trade, there were far more free men of color than there are currently people making over $650,000 a year.
I honestly don't understand the point you are trying to get across. I don't understand what free men of color and people making $650,000 have to do with what I said. Not trying to dismiss you; I honestly do not understand the point you are trying to make.

You also said something about the "Main Line" in a previous post. What is the "Main Line?" If that is a Philly thing, i'm unfamiliar because I am not originally from here and am a new resident.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I see your analogy, but I wouldn't compare a family with that income to a slave. Slaves had no rights and no money. The definition of rich has many interpretations, I am more liberal with my view, but according to you, I guess gladwyne is a mostly working class community, the rest of those communities are near the depths of hell.
I'll say this: People in the past and even today usually view(ed) their situation from the perspective of "It is what it is." Meaning most people when coming into the world accept the world for what it is, and just try to make the best of it.

In the early United States slavery was an accepted way of life for the wide majority of slaves. Only a few slaves really tried to run away, or start some type of rebellion against the master and his people. The wide majority of slaves accepted slavery as their fate; meaning that they didn't necessarily try to fight it, even if they knew it was wrong. Many just did what they had to do to get by, or to gain a better position on the plantation.

I can argue it is the same type of mentality with people today. They are just trying to get by and/or gain a better position on the plantation. People deep down know there is something wrong with society today, when you had dedicated workers who showed up everyday of the week to work, who belived in America and the idea that diligent work pays off; and then you lay him off and send his job over to Mexico, because Mexican workers are cheaper. Or outsource his white collar service job to India.

Dude, in the 50's and 60's a man working a "regular job" could support his whole family with his one income. What happened?

Old 04-01-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I'm just having a laugh. The way you're arguing your point is a tad under-thought, but I agree with the basic premise and what you're driving at, more or less. This is actually an area I'm hoping to tackle in my research in Psychology here at UPenn. For the record, I did in fact just pick up and move to Philadelphia I''m brand new here, as of January 7th.
Welcome to Philadelphia! I recently moved here myself. A bit crowded for my taste, but it's an interesting city. I'm originally from a rural area down south.

You are doing research in psychology? I've read a little on the discipline of psychology, but not much though. I have a question for you to ponder, maybe you know better than i do. Who or what came up with the idea of "middle class." As in who came up with the terminology. I mean the term is basically too general and highly subjective. It is basically another man's (or group of men's) idea of what it means to live "the good life." It seems that somebody came up with idea and got people to buy it, or atleast using his terminology.

Also don't be freaked out that I predicted your life. Me and Miss Cleo are blood relatives, haha.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:45 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
I honestly don't understand the point you are trying to get across. I don't understand what free men of color and people making $650,000 have to do with what I said. Not trying to dismiss you; I honestly do not understand the point you are trying to make.

You also said something about the "Main Line" in a previous post. What is the "Main Line?" If that is a Philly thing, i'm unfamiliar because I am not originally from here and am a new resident.
The main line region of suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a string of affluent towns built along the old Main Line of the Pennsylvania Railroad which ran northwest from downtown Philadelphia parallel to Route 30. The majority of that area began as a weekend escape for Philadelphia's elite population. A lot of estates on a lot of land, polo clubs, country clubs etc. Today the name stuck and some old money remains, but there is a lot of new money and some snobbery and families making $650,000 a year. Very congested area, high property values etc. Comparible to the very wealthy areas in Connecticut and New York. Theres a list of towns all varying in wealth, Gladwyne being the wealthiest. I would look just look up the Main Line and surrounding communities, it will help you acquainted with the area.

Quote:
I'll say this: People in the past and even today usually view(ed) their situation from the perspective of "It is what it is." Meaning most people when coming into the world accept the world for what it is, and just try to make the best of it.

In the early United States slavery was an accepted way of life for the wide majority of slaves. Only a few slaves really tried to run away, or start some type of rebellion against the master and his people. The wide majority of slaves accepted slavery as their fate; meaning that they didn't necessarily try to fight it, even if they knew it was wrong. Many just did what they had to do to get by, or to gain a better position on the plantation.

I can argue it is the same type of mentality with people today. They are just trying to get by and/or gain a better position on the plantation. People deep down know there is something wrong with society today, when you had dedicated workers who showed up everyday of the week to work, who belived in America and the idea that diligent work pays off; and then you lay him off and send his job over to Mexico, because Mexican workers are cheaper. Or outsource his white collar service job to India.

Dude, in the 50's and 60's a man working a "regular job" could support his whole family with his one income. What happened?
Now your going into a whole different topic, the thread was just about the high concentration of wealth in the philadelphia area. As far as single income, there are just a lot more expenses today for families. Cable bills, phone bills, internet, higher taxes, inflated property values, a more wasteful society. Most families in these wealthy communities cannot even live comfortable lifestyle without making at least $150,000 a year.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:49 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:

You said people who make $650,000, a figure well into the top 1% of American household earnings, are "house slaves," as opposed to "free." I'm saying that if you're actually going to make this loaded comparison, you should at least pick a value commensurate to the percentage of free blacks in the slave era. Your entire premise is odd.

And the Main Line is a string of suburbs west of Philadelphia well-known as home to the highest concentration of wealthy greater Philadelphians. But I guess by your logic most of them can cry and carry on about how poor and powerless they are.

Edit: cpomp got it right. I would add, again, that even on the Main Line, the vast majority of families make under $650k.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The main line region of suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a string of affluent towns built along the old Main Line of the Pennsylvania Railroad which ran northwest from downtown Philadelphia parallel to Route 30. The majority of that area began as a weekend escape for Philadelphia's elite population. A lot of estates on a lot of land, polo clubs, country clubs etc. Today the name stuck and some old money remains, but there is a lot of new money and some snobbery and families making $650,000 a year. Very congested area, high property values etc. Comparible to the very wealthy areas in Connecticut and New York. Theres a list of towns all varying in wealth, Gladwyne being the wealthiest. I would look just look up the Main Line and surrounding communities, it will help you acquainted with the area.

Now your going into a whole different topic, the thread was just about the high concentration of wealth in the philadelphia area. As far as single income, there are just a lot more expenses today for families. Cable bills, phone bills, internet, higher taxes, inflated property values, a more wasteful society. Most families in these wealthy communities cannot even live comfortable lifestyle without making at least $150,000 a year.
Dude, I went off topic in my first post; I clearly stated my view that the OP's original topic was nothing worthy of speaking on (no offense to the OP).

Also when folks use the word "just", that is a replacement word for the phrase "it is what it is." I asked you why a man cannot support a family on one income. You basically told me "it is what it is" which is another way for people to say "I don't know why, I just accept the world for what it is." You didn't say anything of value. Why are property values inflated, why are taxes higher, why do people have more expenses?

Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
You said people who make $650,000, a figure well into the top 1% of American household earnings, are "house slaves," as opposed to "free." I'm saying that if you're actually going to make this loaded comparison, you should at least pick a value commensurate to the percentage of free blacks in the slave era. Your entire premise is odd.

And the Main Line is a string of suburbs west of Philadelphia well-known as home to the highest concentration of wealthy greater Philadelphians. But I guess by your logic most of them can cry and carry on about how poor and powerless they are.

Edit: cpomp got it right. I would add, again, that even on the Main Line, the vast majority of families make under $650k.
Here is my problem. I don't understand what black people have to do with my argument. I did not mention black people in any of my previous posts. I think you saw the word "slave" and in your head you automatically turned this dialogue into something about race. I still do not understand the point you are trying to make.

Another thought: there are people in this world that make high incomes, but when it comes to having power and being able to control their environment, they do not have that. As a human you are not really free unless move about the way you actually want to.

Think about this, you are a CEO making $650,000, but you are not part of the family that owns and/or controls the company. Your livelihood depends on you subjugating yourself to their will basically. You have to work when they say work, you have to report to them during regular meetings. You have to play apl those Machiavellian/48 Laws of Power type of games to keep the position you want. An oitsider may look at you and be like you are doing well, you are living the dream. But they dont know the things you go through and the obligations you have. You can't just up and take a trip to Mexico whenever you want to. But the bosses probably can.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:03 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Dude, I went off topic in my first post; I clearly stated my view that the OP's original topic was nothing worthy of speaking on (no offense to the OP).

Also when folks use the word "just", that is a replacement word for the phrase "it is what it is." I asked you why a man cannot support a family on one income. You basically told me "it is what it is" which is another way for people to say "I don't know why, I just accept the world for what it is." You didn't say anything of value. Why are property values inflated, why are taxes higher, why do people have more expenses?
At an attempt to answer, whether you wanted one or not, people have always been wasteful and spenders. We are a consumer society, people want everything, whether rich or poor. There are so many more ways to spend money today than there was in the past. That is my opinion why so many Americans are struggling. Plus the cost of having children is astronomical compared to 50 years ago. Most families(except the super rich) whether making 60,000 or 5,000,000 a year live paycheck to paycheck. So we are all in the same boat, we just have different expenses. Buying groceries, or buying your third home in Hilton Head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia