Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:37 AM

177 posts, read 357,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
lol. I take it your not a fan of the ESPN show "First Take".
Haha no but honestly I'm not a fan of any show on there anymore, except maybe the NFL or MLB broadcasts, and even they are getting to be unbearable to watch. NBA is fine I guess but the pregame and postgame shows are just so awful. Nobody should ever put Bill Simmons on TV. The only thing I used to watch on there towards the end of my viewing that channel was 30 for 30/ESPN films, and they even ruined them. They used to have all kinds of people in the films and documentaries, but now every single one is full of nothing but ESPN "experts" (who honestly don't know anything about anything whatsoever), like I'm watching SportsCenter or one of their stupid "specials" rather than a documentary or film. ESPN is no different than any other mainstream channel now, which is a shame.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:28 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
I don't care if Riley Cooper was drunk or not, I was totally offended by his use of the word. That word doesn't come out of your mouth unless you're used to using the term. I also saw the larger context of the way he was acting that night -- a video of him challenging someone to fight, a video of him acting like a total a** when the Eagles were on-stage, and of course the N-word snippet. I would totally boo him. Don't want him representing my team.

As for Hugh Douglas, I love the way people compare his use of the N-word to Riley Cooper's. Unbelievable.

It is also unbelievable to me that Hugh Douglas is a paid commentator on ESPN. He was HORRIBLE when he was on 610 WIP. I remember he was bantering with (I forget his co-host's name) about an upcoming Eagles pre-season game, and he totally had the day wrong. It was a Thursday game and he said Sunday. And I mean, football is his sport. Showed a total lack of preparation on his part. Other than the rant, I wonder if he's improved any in his actual commentating?

Old 08-10-2013, 08:18 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
... yet ESPN analyst Hugh Douglass went on a rant using the N word against his Co-Host Michael Smith the other day and that hasn't really become too much of a news story....
Well the reason why is obvious. It was espn driving the hype train on cooper, the Douglas story would make them look bad so of course we hear nothing about it.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:06 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,217 times
The guy is a professional football player. I wouldn't expect him to be the most intelligent or culturally sophisticated.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:19 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,522,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
The guy is a professional football player. I wouldn't expect him to be the most intelligent or culturally sophisticated.
Did you ever see the playbook they have to memorize? I thought you were more open-minded than that.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:42 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Did you ever see the playbook they have to memorize? I thought you were more open-minded than that.
good point. They do have to read a book and memorize it's contents. I remember how tough that was when i had to do my third grade book report.

listen there are plenty of smart people playing football, but let's be clear though, intelligence is absolutely not a prerequisite to play football and there are plenty of people dumb as bricks playing football. having intelligence is a skill like any other in sports, the truly greatest are often very sharp as it's hard to reach the pinnacle without it. By the same token some of the absolute worst players can also be smart, using their great intelligence to maximize their potential despite a lack of true physical talent. There are definitely plenty of players however who get by on physical gifts alone and are true morons. Both Hugh Douglas and especially Riley Cooper have proven that they are certainly idiots.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:59 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
The NFL is a macrocosm of the general population. They are not all just a bunch of meatheads, LOL. The average age of an NFL player is 28, and their education, thoughts and opinions are pretty much in line with an average 28 year old who does not play football.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:39 PM

Default Q,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Yes, I've seen the playbook they have to memorize. That certainly doesn't make one more intelligent, as that is a rather average thing to do... it definitely does not make one more culturally sophisticated. These guys are good at football because they dedicated a large chunk of their life to it. There are no doubt many players who have a high IQ, but they've dedicated their time to football and not to learning. Therefore, I expect them to not be erudite in terms of things outside of football. It isn't really an insult, as they fulfill their function of being football players quite well. We only have so much time to dedicate to things, and greatness requires even more dedication. I know many successful in finance who wish they would have "diversified" in other areas of their life, but if they had, they probably wouldn't be where they are today. That's life.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
The NFL is a macrocosm of the general population. They are not all just a bunch of meatheads, LOL. The average age of an NFL player is 28, and their education, thoughts and opinions are pretty much in line with an average 28 year old who does not play football.
Well then, that's a pity for the average 28-year-old, who undoubtedly is not as entrenched in a life that revolves around being one of the finest in their field in the entire world. The average 28-year-old surely has more time to attempt to become learned and have more sophisticated opinions than someone whose life revolves around football nearly every second of the year. Intelligence in terms of IQ in this particular instance is not relevant. One can be brilliant, but the man with an average IQ who spent his time learning C++ and Python will surely put the man with the genius IQ to shame when assessing their ability to program. Likewise, a professional football player who has dedicated his life to the sport will put any of us on this board, surely, to shame. If the average 28-year-old cannot put the average football player to shame in a more diversified manner, then I do wonder what most 28-year-old persons do with their time.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:03 PM

584 posts, read 1,425,494 times
If the wonderlic IQ test is any indication of intelligence (which a great deal of research would suggest it is), NFL players,on average, actually do have about average intelligence. The average Wonderlic score is 20, and the average Wonderlic score within the NFL population is also 20.

Wonderlic Test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: