Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:20 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,589,431 times

Advertisements

This will explain TJ's.

Welcome to Trader Joe's - Your Neighborhood Grocery Store

Whole Foods is a great store, but is a bit high in price. Their seafood is especially good. Wild, not farm raised. They specialize in natural, organic products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 09:24 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
Speaking of Target and Trader Joes ( I love both). We are relocating to KOP area. Not sure exactly where, either Main Line or Exton/West Chester. Anyway, I was wondering if there are any Targets or TJs close in those areas?
There is a Trader Joes in Wayne(western half of the Mainline).

Closest Target would be Exton(Rt 100) and there is another Target in Plymouth Meeting which is a few miles north of KOP.

Wegmans is the best supermarket ever. As newmarlig said there is one on the Exton/Downingtown border. They are currently building one in Malvern-Great Valley.

Exton area pretty much has everything you will need in shopping. Macy's,JC Penneys,Kohls,Boscovs,Target,Sears,Walmart,Kmart,S ams Club,BJs Wholesale,Old Navy, Genuardis, Acme etc..

West Chester is more of a quaint historic small college town with lots of local stores, markets etc. No big box retailers in west chester and thats not particularly a bad thing imo.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:54 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times
FYI I'm from San Diego and did a lot of family shopping at Walmart/Target/Albertsons. The Walmarts here are not as nice, nor are the grocery stores. Mainliners usually go to Costco by KOP mall. I go to Target in Plymouth Meeting's Metroplex (off 476) and Walmart in Norristown on West Germantown Pike.(Walmarts diapers are better than Costcos IMO).I split my shopping among Genuardis (Vons), Acme (Albertsons) and Whole Foods. BTW, Philly has very backwards liquor laws and you can't buy wine or beer at Trader Joes or any other Grocery store.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:25 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
BTW, it's not just Philadelphia, it's the whole state No, the Wilmington TJ's doesn't have wine either. I think the way I would describe TJ's and even Wegmans is they GET that the average shopper wants ethnic and organic food that is competively priced along with everyday things like pet food, milk and bread. We've had a Wegmans in the Lehigh valley for several years now and I like to go to the one up here after church for lunch. After lunch - their hot soups are my cold weather favorites - we pick up groceries for a few days.

Wegmans is a full size grocery store, TJ's are always just a little too small with too little parking but with a really cool selection.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:21 PM

543 posts, read 1,901,218 times
I usually use Trader Joes when I have a get together, they have some great cheeses, crackers etc. Our TJs and grocery stores carry wine and beer so I am going to miss that, but I know the Wegman's near my cousin's house, in NJ, has a nice Liquor store right next to it. If I have a Wegman's I really won't need TJ's in my opinion. I love those stores! I always wanted one in CA. I am so excited that there is one in Exton. It seems that the KOP area has everything we are used to. Just what I wanted to hear. I can't wait to come back and check it out.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:27 PM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Wegman's has the BEST buffalo chicken wing and bleu cheese pizza I have EVER tasted! I'm so blessed to have not one but TWO of these stores near my home!

http://www.readexpress.com/read_freeride/photos/2006-05-05-wegmans.jpg (broken link)

Go to Wegman's! You won't leave disappointed!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 11-13-2007 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 11-14-2007, 08:08 AM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
No, the Wilmington TJ's doesn't have wine either.
Dang. I usually buy a case of Two Buck Chuck on my semi-annual trips to Cincinnati. Anyone want to put in orders? LOL

What is wrong with Pa. and its stupid ol' liquor laws, anyway? (don't answer that -- I already know!)

What I really like about Trader Joe's is that it carries a lot of convenience foods that don't have a lot of chemicals, additives, etc. in them. And the prices are great. I can buy a carton of organic soy milk or a jar of organic peanut butter for half of what they'd cost at the mainstream grocery stores. You can't get everything there -- and I'm not nuts about the produce -- but what they do carry is pretty high quality, and more than reasonably priced.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:21 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What is wrong with Pa. and its stupid ol' liquor laws, anyway? (don't answer that -- I already know!)
What's your reasoning? There's many theories out there.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:04 AM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
What's wrong with Pennsylvania's liquor laws? I'll try to narrow it down ...

1) Resistance to change. One of the disadvantages of living in Pennsylvania.

2) Nepotism, favortism and patronage. After all, some legislator's dysfunctional brother-in-law has to work somewhere, doesn't he? Well, there's always PennDOT, I suppose ...

3) Unions. The costs have to be killing the state. The state will still get its taxes from the liquor, but won't have to pay bloated salaries and pensions. Not to mention that the overpaid, undertrained and indifferent clerk at the liquor store doesn't know squat about wine (or anything else), whereas the husband and wife who own the mom-and-pop neighborhood wine store would be able to suggest the perfect wine for whatever occasion.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:45 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What's wrong with Pennsylvania's liquor laws? I'll try to narrow it down ...

1) Resistance to change. One of the disadvantages of living in Pennsylvania.

2) Nepotism, favortism and patronage. After all, some legislator's dysfunctional brother-in-law has to work somewhere, doesn't he? Well, there's always PennDOT, I suppose ...

3) Unions. The costs have to be killing the state. The state will still get its taxes from the liquor, but won't have to pay bloated salaries and pensions. Not to mention that the overpaid, undertrained and indifferent clerk at the liquor store doesn't know squat about wine (or anything else), whereas the husband and wife who own the mom-and-pop neighborhood wine store would be able to suggest the perfect wine for whatever occasion.
OK, I was just wondering your opinion. I definately agree with 3 and 1.

Organized labor has managed to mess up lots of things (school systems, strikes, pension shortages, over-generous healthcare, failing urban areas because all the industrial employers fled, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia