Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:06 AM

7 posts, read 10,558 times

Advertisements

I filled one of these out a few weeks ago, when we were planning on staying in the city. Now we have decided to consider the suburbs. And now I am totally clueless on where to look. I spent all of my life in the city or South Jersey, and haven't a clue about PA suburbs. Key is the commute to West Philly for my husband. And decent schools. I am afraid our budget might not cut it for a house in the 'burbs. Thanks in advance for your advice!

When are you moving? No rush, waiting to sell our current house. Hopefully within a year.
Where are you coming from? Riverward, Philadelphia
Why are you moving? Need more Space.
Where will you be working? Me, from home. Husband, West Philly.
Have you been here yet? Yes

Will you buy or rent? Buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House, 150,000-180,000
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA (My entire family is in NJ, we want some space)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, 2 kids (6 & 12)
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? 2 Cats
Do you want or need a yard? Yes
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? In the middle

What do you want to be closest to? Would like some walkability, but willing to sacrafice that. Decent schools are important. Husband would like to be less than 30 minutes from his work (West Philly) but would consider a little farther if we found the right spot.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Would like to be in a family friendly area.

Coke or Pepsi? Coke, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 11:33 AM

147 posts, read 284,014 times
Media or anywhere on the mainline within LM school district.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhusky11 View Post
there is absolutely no reason to qualify "anywhere on the main line." lower merion is not the only good school district, they're all good on the main line. the OP should also look at towns. jenkintown, ambler, paoli all have good schools.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:25 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhusky11 View Post
It may be a challenge for the OP to find a place in those areas with their preferred budget of $150-180K.

One compromise to consider would be Upper Darby, particularly north of Garrett Road. Homes are likely to be within the housing budget although Upper Darby School District may be considered below average by local suburban standards.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:28 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
there is absolutely no reason to qualify "anywhere on the main line." lower merion is not the only good school district, they're all good on the main line. the OP should also look at towns. jenkintown, ambler, paoli all have good schools.
A little further north from Jenkintown and west of Old York Road/ Route 611, Abington boroughs such as Roslyn, Glenside and Ardsley may offer homes within the OP's preferred budget. The trade-off may be the commute which would likely be around 45 minutes whether by transit or car.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-01-2013 at 03:19 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 12:45 PM

7 posts, read 10,558 times
I know we can't afford the Main Line I did find a house, below budget, that is in the Owen J Roberts district. The house is in South Pottstown. Any info on that area? I know it's a far commute, but with that price my husband is ok with it.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:52 PM

147 posts, read 284,014 times
use great schools and schooldigger for info on school rankings. Owen according to schooldigger comes in at 74 in PA.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:00 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
As I think you have already figured out, you may either have to trade off school district or commute to get the house you want in that price range. From everything I have heard, Owen J Roberts is a very good school district, but Pottstown to West Philly sounds like a killer commute. The suggestion of Abington may be a good one. I'm not as familiar with Delaware County, but wonder if there are areas (Springford?) which would be in your price range and offer a better commute. Not sure if Upper Darby is a great option, since you have a child approaching high school age in the next couple years. Maybe Upper Merion would be another alternative. Probably looking at townhomes in that price range.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:47 PM

80 posts, read 156,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alreadyhere View Post
I know we can't afford the Main Line I did find a house, below budget, that is in the Owen J Roberts district. The house is in South Pottstown. Any info on that area? I know it's a far commute, but with that price my husband is ok with it.
If you're thinking that far out, explore Chester Co south of there (Glenmoore and lots of other hamlets) and look into the train commute from Downingtown to W Philly rather than 422-76.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:00 PM

283 posts, read 463,717 times
Gotta throw in one for my hometown... Check out Phoenixville. I'm inclined to say that Phoenixville HS is a little better than OJR, because I truly think it is, though not by much admittedly, as OJR does plenty well. Phoenixville Area might be a little easier on your budget than OJR area, and is a closer commute than Pottstown by a good twenty minutes or so. It has a nice walkable downtown, affordable houses, a very good (and getting better) school. It might be worth looking into. Family friendly with all the amenities you might need (except a train).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia