Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:08 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times

Advertisements

Delaware County is in the Philadelphia Metro area, so you may want to repost in the Philadelphia forum to get more advice from people who live in the area.

There are plenty of great areas in Delaware County. While Chester is terrible and places like Upper Darby and Marcus Hook aren't great, Delaware County is still the fourth wealthiest county in the state. In fact, Villanova is one of the wealthiest places in the country.
List of Pennsylvania counties by per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some great places are Newtown Square, Media, Villanova, Wayne, Haverford, Springfield, Drexel Hill, Garnet Valley, etc. etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 10:22 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Why does it have to be in DelCo? Does your job have a residency requirement?

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 11-13-2013 at 11:14 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 10:33 PM

3 posts, read 12,501 times
No, I would just prefer to live closer to the city of Philadelphia. I'm used to living in the suburbs, that's all.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:35 PM

3 posts, read 12,501 times
Default Safe areas in Delaware County, PA

I was looking up safe areas with good schools in Delaware County. One person suggested I move to the Broomall area. I looked up some residential neighborhoods on Google maps street view. It does look quite nice. Some people said that the Broomall/Newtown Square area is my best bet. I would prefer options within Delaware County, so please don't recommend cities/townships outside the county. So here are my few questions:

1. Is Broomall and Newtown Square safe?
2. If not, are there any safe towns within the county?
3. Are the schools good?
4. Fun places to visit that are nearby, (Movie theaters, malls, etc.)
5. Any safe apartments you could recommend?
6. Are homes expensive?
I'd really appreciate a detailed response. Thanks!

Old 11-13-2013, 11:11 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForack200 View Post
I was looking up safe areas with good schools in Delaware County. One person suggested I move to the Broomall area. I looked up some residential neighborhoods on Google maps street view. It does look quite nice. Some people said that the Broomall/Newtown Square area is my best bet. I would prefer options within Delaware County, so please don't recommend cities/townships outside the county. So here are my few questions:

1. Is Broomall and Newtown Square safe?
2. If not, are there any safe towns within the county?
3. Are the schools good?
4. Fun places to visit that are nearby, (Movie theaters, malls, etc.)
5. Any safe apartments you could recommend?
6. Are homes expensive?
I'd really appreciate a detailed response. Thanks!

I am in Broomall (and the surrounding Marple Township) often, and it is indeed a nice area with single homes in the high 200K to multi-million dollar residences. I think that Newtown Square is a step up with many, many homes nearing and over the million mark. The edgemont Regal theatre is about a 10 minute drive from Broomall as is the Springfield Mall and county seat Media with lots of cute eateries and retail, including Trader Joes. Schools are very good and some have been recently rehabbed. Both areas are very safe. Wish I knew more about apartments, but Google will help you out>

Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForack200 View Post
No, I would just prefer to live closer to the city of Philadelphia. I'm used to living in the suburbs, that's all.
Then the inner parts of Montgomery could work as well. Same with some parts of South Jersey. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with DelCo, but there's no reason to needlessly limit yourself either.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:23 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,165 times
PS: you can also access historic Ridley Creek State Park from both Upper Providence (Media) and Edgemont. Lots of events for the kids there with a seasonal calendar. Broomall has a shopping center with an Acme, deli, Barnes & Noble, liquor store, etc The very active town of West Chester is about 15 minutes away as well.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:12 AM

36 posts, read 113,017 times
I'd say a vast majority of Delaware County is safe with pretty good schools... Broomall certainly meets that criteria.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:16 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Much of Delaware County is good to great. The relative exceptions might be sections of towns that border the city line such as Upper Darby, Darby (yes, there are two) and Yeadon.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:34 AM

36 posts, read 113,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Much of Delaware County is good to great. The relative exceptions might be sections of towns that border the city line such as Upper Darby, Darby (yes, there are two) and Yeadon.
and Chester....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia