Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 AM

4 posts, read 28,272 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm considering a job offer in Philly. I understand the income taxes are lower in PA fixed just above 3%; However, some folks think that moving to NJ might be a better move.
Here's what I'm looking for:
* Easy communte to Philly
* Nice home in a safe neighborhood.
* Great school district (looking to start a family)
* Nice down to earth folks.
* Price range: 500-700K (or less)
Are property taxes the same in NJ as they are in PA? Any other financial pluses?
I heard nice things about the Main Line - what areas match my criteria?

Thanks,
Ana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 11:01 AM

691 posts, read 3,059,709 times
NJ property taxes are definitely higher than PA, however home prices in NJ tend to be cheaper. You can definitely get more bang for your buck.

Also, commuting into Center City Philly is much easier from Jersey. You basically have 4 bridges going into Philly and they rarely backup during the AM rush. You also have the PATCO speed line which gets you into downtown in 30min or less.

Bottom line, if you are working in downtown Philly, i'd suggest NJ

Old 11-28-2007, 11:15 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
unless you want to live in the city, NJ is 1000x easier in an out over the Philly suburbs. the Betsy Ross bridge is the most underutilized bridge i've ever witnessed. the commute on the Schulkyll (sp?) will kill you slowly. also, jerzboy is right re: property taxes, vs cost is a trade off. nice towns in Jersey: Moorestown, Haddonfield, Cherry Hill, Voorhees. Bucks co., in PA is nice as well..

we bought in Philly and that price range won't get you much space for a family. especially if you'd like to live in Center City. but you do have the convenience.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:27 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
I agree, I think it depends on how long you want your commute to be. Imagine driving from Whitemarsh Township ALL the way to Princeton 3 days a week. It was horrible.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:43 PM

11 posts, read 53,163 times
PATCO to Center City is easy. Septa from Main Line is easy. NJ prop/income taxes are higher. On that income tax I'm assuming you make more than 35k considering the 500-700k house.

Main Line is also VERY expensive in some areas for housing. I would suggest Chester or Delaware counties if you choose PA. West Chester, Exton, Media, Swarthmore. These might be a little cheaper but will be a longer commute.

If you choose NJ - check out collingswood. It is minutes from Center City by either car or PATCO and is a nice looking town with plenty of restaurants.

Henry

Old 11-30-2007, 11:48 AM

4 posts, read 28,272 times
I thought the main line cut across 3 counties - what exactly are the towns in the main line? is there a website? I have another job offer in Wilmington and I'm guessing the main line would not be an option if I go that route.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:05 PM

35 posts, read 192,895 times
with the bridge toll going to $5 i'd say stay in PA!!!!!!

Old 12-04-2007, 03:38 PM

71 posts, read 240,200 times
I grew up in Philly. now live in Jersey. NJ taxes (property) are much higher. But, you get what you pay for. The schools are great in most towns in the price range you will be looking at.
You will need to watch the commute into Philly. If you are taking the train, stay near towns with Patco (haddonfield, collingswood). If you are driving, you might want to look into towns around the Commodore Barry bridge... Woolwich & Mullica hill are two in price range. Walt Whitman can be brutal at rush hour (especially during the summer month with beach traffic).

Lots of towns in NJ to consider.... you'd have to describe more about what you are looking for.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:02 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ana2007 View Post
I thought the main line cut across 3 counties - what exactly are the towns in the main line? is there a website? I have another job offer in Wilmington and I'm guessing the main line would not be an option if I go that route.
Mainline towns east of Rt.476(Blue Route)- The Bigger more expansive houses with more elbow room are N of Montgomery Ave.
Bala Cynwd-Ardmore-Narberth-Wynnewood,Merion,Bryn Mawr,Haverford,Villanova,Penn Valley,Gladwyne,Radnor,Rosemont,Ithan.

Gladwyne,Villanova,Radnor,Penn Valley, Bryn Mawr are off the charts but $$$.

Mainline towns west of Rt.476(Blue Route)

St Davids,Wayne,Devon,Paoli,Malvern,Tredyffrin .

If you work in Wilmington and want to live in Pa. living in one of the mainline towns is certainly possible but you are probably looking at a 1 hour commute. In regards to working in Wilmington you might want to consider Chadds Ford,Birmingham Township,Garnet Valley ( which is Concord+Bethel Townships) Thornbury,Westtown,West Chester. You'll take a 1/2 hour off your Wilmington commute compared to the mainline towns, and all those communities are exclusive communities with outstanding schools.

NJ does have some very nice towns/schools etc. but so does the Pa.suburbs. Being that the Pa suburbs are twice as big as the South jersey burbs you have more of a selection and a much better landscape if you are into that sort of thing.Jersey =flat. S.E. Pa has a nice vareity of hills,valleys ,rivers,streams etc.Also I don't doubt the schools in South Jersey are excellent but so are the public + private schools in the Pa suburbs.

Approximate area population dispersion.
1.5 million people live in Philly.
2.5 million people live in the Pa. suburbs
1 million people live in suburban S.jersey
1 million in suburban Del.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:02 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,713 times
Moorestown, Cinnaminson, or Delran is an easy commute to Center City now with the light rail or even driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia