Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:00 PM

3 posts, read 7,534 times

Advertisements

My husband will be retiring in 18 months. We want to move to Philly to enjoy all that it has to offer. I haven't lived there since the 1970's. My husband has never lived there, although we did live in Wilmington for more than a decade, until a few years ago, and visited Philly occasionally. We currently live in Florida.

We went through the neighborhoods where I grew up: on Arthur St in Rhawnhurst and Brighton St in Mayfair. We also went through my late grandparents neighborhood (Chandler St in Foxchase).

Hubby was not impressed with Mayfair but really liked the Rhawnhurst neighborhood. It seems to have some shopping nearby and it doesn't look like the catholic church has been closed. We've read that some of them have shut their doors.

We would rather rent an apartment in one of the homes than live in a large complex. A bus line nearby would be nice so we can visit downtown attractions without driving in traffic. We enjoy picnics in the park, sketching nature, and live a quiet lifestyle.

Our problem is that we don't know how to go about renting from an individual when we live 800 miles away. I realize it is too soon now, since we are not moving for 18 months, but how do we go about this? Also, can you tell us an average rent for this neighborhood? We want to set up a retirement budget and housing is an important part of it.

When are you moving? 18 months
Where are you coming from? Florida
Why are you moving? Retirement
Where will you be working? N/A
Have you been here yet? Yes

Will you buy or rent? Rent

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Flexible
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Walk-up

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb?

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Not needed, but enjoy gardening
Are you keeping a car? One
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Quiet

What do you want to be closest to?

Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - Walking distance or a short drive
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Not particular. We've lived all over the East Coast.

Coke or Pepsi? Pepsi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 12:28 PM

36 posts, read 47,618 times
Not really sure , I don't live in Rhawnhurst, but attend the Catholic Church Resurrection of Our Lord and shop at Target and Supermarket in that area. I have not heard anything about the church closing. If I see any for rent signs in the area I will let you know. There are buses that would take you to the el , or train station to center city.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 PM

Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 PM

166 posts, read 278,151 times
The average rent in that neighborhood ranges from $875-$1,025. There aren't many places available for rent there, but, I would give Padmapper a try.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:13 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criedman101 View Post
The average rent in that neighborhood ranges from $875-$1,025. There aren't many places available for rent there, but, I would give Padmapper a try.
Really? With all those Apartment houses and duplexes there?

Old 02-18-2014, 08:26 AM

166 posts, read 278,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Really? With all those Apartment houses and duplexes there?
Oh, I see the problem. I only checked Padmapper (which is basically just a funnel for Craigslist). I found 19 apartments on Zillow, but they seem a bit expensive for someone on retirement benefits.

Rhawnhurst Philadelphia Apartments for Rent - 19 Rentals - Zillow

Old 02-18-2014, 12:31 PM

154 posts, read 215,281 times
The neighborhood is still "good," but like anything else, isn't what it used to be. The blight and crime may slowly creep nearby, but I would consider Rhawnhurst to be one of the better parts of Philadelphia.

Pennypack Park is nearby, and shopping is plentyful in the area. I think you will like it.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:24 PM

640 posts, read 1,294,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern Rock View Post
The neighborhood is still "good," but like anything else, isn't what it used to be. The blight and crime may slowly creep nearby, but I would consider Rhawnhurst to be one of the better parts of Philadelphia.

Pennypack Park is nearby, and shopping is plentyful in the area. I think you will like it.
Gotta agree with this centrally located and lots of shopping still a good area. I would recommend tremont apartments its 19115 zip code.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:13 PM

Thank you for the info. It gives me a place to start. The rents seem comparable to what we are now paying ($900), so that's a relief. I hadn't thought about checking Craigslist, so I'm glad it was mentioned.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:12 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Any other comments, good or bad about Rhawnhurst, Rhawn & Castor, the area around Nazareth Hospital, or Holme Avenue on the other side of Pennypack Park? Some friends of mine are very much interested in buying in the area and are concerned about safety. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia