Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 04:28 PM

88 posts, read 97,982 times

Advertisements

As a teenage Delawarean looking for somehwere to live in about 2 years, I was wondering about Philly. They have MANY homes (3 story, rowhome type things) for like 80-120k. How do I know which areas are seedy or not? Do the homes that are good tend to LOOK good, or is that not it?

Is it a good idea to live in Philly vs Delaware? Cheap taxes? What are some other precautions, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 06:24 PM

Little add on: to make it easier, can anyone just tell me the "safest" zip codes in Philly?

Old 12-17-2006, 09:24 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,589,431 times
Since you are a teenager, I assume you are still in high school? Please let us know what your plans are when you move to the city? College, work? If work, doing what? Good areas for someone your age would be center city, including center city west. Queen Village, Bella Vista, Olde City, or University City. But please provide more details.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:02 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,430,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm31091 View Post
As a teenage Delawarean looking for somehwere to live in about 2 years, I was wondering about Philly. They have MANY homes (3 story, rowhome type things) for like 80-120k. How do I know which areas are seedy or not? Do the homes that are good tend to LOOK good, or is that not it?

Is it a good idea to live in Philly vs Delaware? Cheap taxes? What are some other precautions, etc?
If you're looking at houses costing 80-120K, you're looking at a seedy area. If you want to live in a nice area, be prepared to pay over 200K for a home. Best zips are: 19127, 19128, 19129, 19118, 19119, anything in Center City and the far Northeast (near Bensalem). These places have less crime than the rest of Philly. As for cheap taxes, not in Philly. If the wage tax doesn't drain you dry, the newly assessed property taxes will. Your best bet is the surrounding 'burbs. There are better job opportunities out there also.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:48 PM

So, what burb cities would be good?

I haven't decided on college yet...sorry...just looking at various options for places to live. As for a career, I probably am going to be a pastry chef, a hairstylist, or maybe a real estate agent--those are some things I'm considering. The 1st one is most likely.

Last edited by kdm31091; 12-18-2006 at 01:26 PM..

Old 12-18-2006, 02:21 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
Don't move to Philly if you absolutely don't have to. It's overpriced and crime ridden. If you're going to college,maybe the University area.
But I live in Philly and it seems that Delaware is probably the nearest area that's reasonable. I wish I could trade with you.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:52 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Don't move to Philly if you absolutely don't have to. It's overpriced and crime ridden. If you're going to college,maybe the University area.
But I live in Philly and it seems that Delaware is probably the nearest area that's reasonable. I wish I could trade with you.
Wah wah wah. Have you ever made it outside your little section of Philadelphia? Sounds like you have it bad. Are you living in one of the ghettoes?

Old 12-18-2006, 06:20 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Wah wah wah. Have you ever made it outside your little section of Philadelphia? Sounds like you have it bad. Are you living in one of the ghettoes?
Well I see I have a natural adversary here who again rubs me wrong. Your profile doesn't say much,but you must be a local.
As a matter of fact I do live in a ghetto,south Philthy to be exact.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:54 AM

Default the 'burbs

Try Conshohocken. It's a nice place to live; my sister-in-law has a home there. She says it's a great place to raise a family (of course you're a little young to be worrying about that). There are job opportunities, taxes aren't as high as in Philly, and it's much safer. And it's close enough to Philly if you still want to visit. The only problem is the price of houses (about 200k+); but you get what you pay for.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Well I see I have a natural adversary here who again rubs me wrong. Your profile doesn't say much,but you must be a local.
As a matter of fact I do live in a ghetto,south Philthy to be exact.
If I remember correctly, he/she lives in the nicer part of Chester County. Only comes to the nicer parts of Philly to visit. Where do you live in south philly that it's a ghetto? My grandmother lived at 4th & dickinson. I still have some family that lives near there (the ones that didn't move off to S. Jersey).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia