Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 04:50 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I do not see how an ethnic theme is being racist against a particular ethnic group. I look at it more as paying a "tribute" to an ethnic group. Ethnic themes have always been popular in the Mummers and have never seen anything offensive about them.
See, but that's the thing. If ethnic groups ARE actually offended by it, it doesn't really matter whether you personally think it should be offensive. Life's unfair like that.

But of course I wasn't just talking about "themes", and noted that in previous posts.

Last edited by rotodome; 01-31-2015 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 07:55 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
See, but that's the thing. If ethnic groups ARE actually offended by it, it doesn't really matter whether you personally think it should be offensive. Life's unfair like that.

But of course I wasn't just talking about "themes", and noted that in previous posts.

I don't understand why white people, especially white men--because that's who it usually is--think they have the right to tell other groups that have been marginalized NOT to be offended. How about just not acting like a piece of crap, and not offending people in the first place?

Yes, there is some truth that some people will find anything offensive, but a LOT of people deliberately offend just for the sake of trying to make a point that they are soooo edgy and refuse to be PC

It's not about being PC. It's about not being a POS.

A perfect example is the multiple signs that read things like "Wench Lives Matter" and "Comic Lives Matter." That's a blatant disregard for an important issue.

Depicting a culture by stereotyping it and treating it as a caricature is not a tribute. If you think they mean it as such, you are fooling yourself.

What's funny is that if the shoe were on the other foot, every white guy on this board would be screaming reverse racism.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:21 AM

677 posts, read 672,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post

A perfect example is the multiple signs that read things like "Wench Lives Matter" and "Comic Lives Matter." That's a blatant disregard for an important issue.

Just because some think it's an important issue, it doesn't make it so to everybody. I don't know a single person who cares about the "Black Lives Matter" movement. Not one. As a matter of fact, most think it's comical. Hence, the signs at the Mummers Parade.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post

But, ARE they actually offended? Or is it a few anti-white troublemakers?

Old 02-01-2015, 11:07 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
This thread isn't really helping the case hah.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:59 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Is the Mummer's Parade 'Racist?'

The answer is a little bit. But not as racist as this thread.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:22 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:
I don't understand why white people, especially white men--because that's who it usually is--think they have the right to tell other groups that have been marginalized NOT to be offended. How about just not acting like a piece of crap, and not offending people in the first place?

Yes, there is some truth that some people will find anything offensive, but a LOT of people deliberately offend just for the sake of trying to make a point that they are soooo edgy and refuse to be PC

It's not about being PC. It's about not being a POS.

Depicting a culture by stereotyping it and treating it as a caricature is not a tribute. If you think they mean it as such, you are fooling yourself.

What's funny is that if the shoe were on the other foot, every white guy on this board would be screaming reverse racism.
I never followed or paid much attention to the Comics. I will admit the highlighted is in poor taste. But do not marginalize all facets of the Mummers with the Comics. Back 20 years ago I was a Mummer (String Band guy), currently have friends and family members that are Mummers. Can tell you down on 2nd Street there are a lot of string-band guys that have no time for say a controversial group like Froggy Carr. Many feel they give the Mummers a bad wrap.
That being said when string-bands and brigades do ethnic themes such as Chinese or Indians, they almost always consult with actual Chinese and Indians for authenticity.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:21 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,279,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I never followed or paid much attention to the Comics. I will admit the highlighted is in poor taste. But do not marginalize all facets of the Mummers with the Comics. Back 20 years ago I was a Mummer (String Band guy), currently have friends and family members that are Mummers. Can tell you down on 2nd Street there are a lot of string-band guys that have no time for say a controversial group like Froggy Carr. Many feel they give the Mummers a bad wrap.
That being said when string-bands and brigades do ethnic themes such as Chinese or Indians, they almost always consult with actual Chinese and Indians for authenticity.
I am glad to hear. I was very excited to see the parade live for the first time. The idiocy that I mentioned tainted my experience. Next time I will skip the ridiculous comics and only watch those who actually care about the pageantry.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Is the Mummer's Parade 'Racist?'

The answer is a little bit. But not as racist as this thread.
Ok, I'll try harder to change my racist views.

Being any racist is wrong.

Last edited by Better Than You; 02-01-2015 at 03:01 PM..

Old 02-01-2015, 03:28 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:

Exactly. White people are the worst. What with the way they are all the same and think the same. Especially the men!

Now watch them get all uppity at my bald-faced truths!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia