Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 08:10 AM

677 posts, read 673,063 times

Advertisements

I don't see it, but others do. Why do you think it is or isn't 'racist?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 08:12 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
What is the significance of the quotation marks?

Old 01-31-2015, 11:49 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,599 times
I'm going to say that someone who stated in the last thread that "White people don't care if they are called racist" isn't going to be convinced that anything is racist, so why even bother having this discussion?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-01-2015 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: talking about moderation

Old 01-31-2015, 12:24 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
No, not in the least bit!!

Old 01-31-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I'm going to say that someone who stated in the last thread that "White people don't care if they are called racist" isn't going to be convinced that anything is racist, so why even bother having this discussion?
You don't have to convince me of anything. But, why do you consider the parade to be 'racist?'

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-01-2015 at 06:55 AM..

Old 01-31-2015, 01:12 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Everything is "racist" if you actively seek out things to be offended by.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:40 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
Using quotations around the word implies that you don't actually mean racist, or perhaps don't believe in the concept, which does affect the meaning of the thread topic.
Hence the request for clarification.

Now to answer the question, ignoring the quotation marks.

First of all: I'm a Philadephian, I am not white, and I like the Mummers. I think that they make Philly the best place I know to be on New Years Day.

That said: Every year, almost without exception, there are brigades or individuals in the parade who put on ethnic themed routines that feature performers in brown-face, red-face, yellow-face, etc and even blackface (even though it was banned). And every year it offends some people and causes controversy. Why do they do it, year after year? The answer to the question, if asked, is almost invariably that it's part of Mummers tradition.
Sooo... what does that say about Mummers tradition?
Are there perhaps some things that could and should be changed, and possibly expunged from Mummers tradition, seeing as it is the year 2015, and the Mummers are one of Philadelphia's signature traditions, and Philly wants to be taken seriously as a city on the national/international stage? I think so.

I also think that some of the anti illegal immigrant stuff in the last couple of parades was, if not racist, in pretty poor taste at best, considering the modern day demographics of South Philly.
This should be a parade for all Philadelphians, not one that alienates groups of Philadelphians. That might even help with the dwindling turnouts.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-01-2015 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned comment

Old 01-31-2015, 01:44 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Using quotations around the word implies that you don't actually mean racist, or perhaps don't believe in the concept, which does affect the meaning of the thread topic.

First of all: I'm a Philadephian, I am not white, and I like the Mummers. I think that they make Philly the best place I know to be on New Years Day.

That said: Every year, almost without exception, there are brigades or individuals in the parade who put on ethnic themed routines that feature performers in brown-face, red-face, yellow-face, etc and even blackface (even though it was banned). And every year it offends some people and causes controversy. Why do they do it, year after year? The answer to the question, if asked, is almost invariably that it's part of Mummers tradition.
Are there perhaps some things that could and should be changed, and possibly expunged from Mummers tradition, seeing as it is the year 2015, and the Mummers are one of Philadelphia's signature traditions, and Philly wants to be taken seriously as a city on the national/international stage? I think so.

I also think that some of the anti illegal immigrant stuff in the last couple of parades was, if not racist, in pretty poor taste at best, considering the modern day demographics of South Philly.
This should be a parade for all Philadelphians, not one that alienates groups of Philadelphians. That might even help with the dwindling turnouts.
This is a good answer, other than the part about the Mummer Parade being one of the best things about Philly. It's nice to watch on TV or at the performance stand, but once they got past the crowded areas they seemed to lose all class. There's nothjng enjoyable, IMO, about watching fat middle-aged men walk down Broad Street while getting drunk and smoking.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-01-2015 at 06:56 AM..

Old 01-31-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post

I was using the quotes because a couple of posters deemed the parade 'racist' the other day.

I agree with some that a little more diversity would help the parade, but it needs to be done fairly, not through some sort of affirmative action nonsense.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-01-2015 at 06:56 AM..

Old 01-31-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
This is a good answer, other than the part about the Mummer Parade being one of the best things about Philly. It's nice to watch on TV or at the performance stand, but once they got past the crowded areas they seemed to lose all class. There's nothjng enjoyable, IMO, about watching fat middle-aged men walk down Broad Street while getting drunk and smoking.
But, why do YOU think the parade is 'racist?'

Last edited by Better Than You; 01-31-2015 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia