Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:37 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyTightWad View Post
I was born in the 80s, so I've only heard about MOVE in retrospect. Could anyone provide the context under which an AA mayor would ok the bombings?
They were on the news constantly. They were shown to be harassing & intimidating neighbors. It was well known that they has an arsenal. They frequently brandished their weapons. They killed a cop during a standoff in 78.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

I think that the mayor just wanted it to stop. Neighbors in 2 neighborhoods wanted it to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 10:13 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,069 times
Goode did not really ok the bombings. The decision to drop the incendiary device was made by the PPD. Goode pretty much found out about it on the news. As the head of the City Government, has/had to take responsibility for it though.

And he got re-elected basically because:
1. As the city's first AA mayor, he did still have some degree of popularity,
2. He was the incumbent Democrat,
3. He was running against Frank Rizzo, who switched parties to Republican in order to run for a third mayoral term, and who was a polarizing figure at best in Philly politics -hated at least as much as he was loved.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:35 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Because of the Amtrak tradegy I don't think it will be mentioned at all.
There was a small spot about it on channel 3 showing Pam Africa spouting the same "revolutionary" rhetoric from the 70s.

Most of the people whose homes were destroyed have moved away. Who's going to talk to them? Or try.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:53 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,242,679 times
It seems ironic that the Amtrak derailment, or at least the aftermath of the derailment, took place 30 years to the day after the MOVE bombing (which as a 12 year old living in the Lehigh Valley at the time I remember was a huge story on the Philadelphia news).

Not to make a political/racial statement, but the symmetry of having one event involve a black/A-A mayor (as I like to call him, Wilson "Not So" Goode) who allowed the city to bomb its own residents and a second event involve a black/A-A mayor (Mike Nutter) responding strongly and quickly to a terrible accident involving an organization that has long served Philadelphia is striking and ironic to me.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:15 PM

The irony is escaping me.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
It seems ironic that the Amtrak derailment, or at least the aftermath of the derailment, took place 30 years to the day after the MOVE bombing (which as a 12 year old living in the Lehigh Valley at the time I remember was a huge story on the Philadelphia news).

Not to make a political/racial statement, but the symmetry of having one event involve a black/A-A mayor (as I like to call him, Wilson "Not So" Goode) who allowed the city to bomb its own residents and a second event involve a black/A-A mayor (Mike Nutter) responding strongly and quickly to a terrible accident involving an organization that has long served Philadelphia is striking and ironic to me.
It is an incredible irony. No one was ever charged criminally for the MOVE disaster either.

There's also another local irony as well, but not of the tragic kind.

On the very date of MOVE 1985, and while the police action was going on(before the bombwas dropped), ground was broken for Liberty Place One, which broke the "Gentlemen's Agreement" regarding not building any building taller than city hall's tower.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
The irony is escaping me.
Really? Aren't "paradox" or "incongruity" synonyms for "irony"?

Old 05-14-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Really? Aren't "paradox" or "incongruity" synonyms for "irony"?
I don't really see how this situation is paradoxical or incongruous either.

Ironic would be if say, the mayor was on the train, traveling to a national conference on transportation safety.

It is certainly an interesting coincidence that two tragic events happened on the same day 30 years apart, though.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:51 PM

Maybe my vote for most ironic MOVE-related event is Live Aid happening in Philly that summer while Osage was still smoking.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Maybe my vote for most ironic MOVE-related event is Live Aid happening in Philly that summer while Osage was still smoking.
Hmmmm, yes that! Also the Bike Race, a Manayunk-centric event now, started barely a month later, in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia