Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 13,301 times

Advertisements

Please answer this. I have been on sevral similar groups and no one answered any of my posts.
I want to move to Washington but I don't know where. I need a place with an abundance of Computer programing jobs, a place where it rains 30-40" a year, and ideally close to a city but still in the country. also not Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2006, 01:07 PM

331 posts, read 2,109,063 times
Well for technology...the west side of the state seems to be a good idea. There are plenty of places outside Seattle to the North, East and South that are more open. I guess it depends on your budget.

Keep in mind that here you can live in a city and it still feels like you are out in the wilderness. Just make sure you have mature foliage when you are looking for a home.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:13 AM

9 posts, read 48,988 times
You might try Silverdale WA. Its a reallllllllly quickly growing town. You could also try the outlying areas of Tacoma OR the other side of the Tacoma bridge is some of the nicest (albeit expensive) areas around like Fox Island or Gig Harbor. Really gorgeous there and there are actually many techies living in that area. You can also commute fairly easily via ferries so you could live anywhere in the sound and be an hour (and a nice easy relaxing hour aboard a ferry sippin coffee at that) away from work in Seattle if you wound up getting job there.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:43 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDash
I want to move to Washington but I don't know where. I need a place with an abundance of Computer programing jobs, a place where it rains 30-40" a year, and ideally close to a city but still in the country. also not Seattle.
What is your price range? Do you want to rent or own? The epicenter of computer programing jobs is on the Eastside in Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, etc. There are plenty of rural and semi rural areas nearby. The outskirts of Redmond, Woodinville, and Issaquah are close to town and more rural. Places like Duval and Maltby are even more rural. These areas all probably receive between 30-40" of rain a year, though expect a bulk of it to come during the winter months. Summers are dry up here.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:23 PM

8 posts, read 35,168 times
It really depends on your price range and if you care how close you are to the water or cool places like Victoria, BC (which is a lot of fun!).

Old 03-27-2006, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 13,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDash
Please answer this. I have been on sevral similar groups and no one answered any of my posts.
Issaquah, Carnation, Fall City, North Bend Great small towns close to the pass and within an hour drive to Downtown Seattle. Redmond is within 30 minutes... the hub of Microsoft.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 21,011 times
Default Moving to Washington

Hi there,
Washington is a great place to live, if you dont like Seattle, (very busy & congested) think about Vancouver , which is cheaper and there are rural areas outside of Vancouver, like Battle Ground, LaCenter and Woodland that are easy commutes, plus very beautiful!
Let me know if you need anymore help.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:40 PM

653 posts, read 1,802,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strattonfarms
Hi there,
there are rural areas outside of Vancouver, like Battle Ground, LaCenter and Woodland that are easy commutes, plus very beautiful!
Judging from Mapquest, there isn't much forest around the Vancouver area? When I think of Oregon, I think of forest. (the movie, "Up a Creek") How much actually is? Seems like only the western 1/3rd of WA is.

What would Oregonians think about the Blue States seceding?

Old 04-21-2006, 11:29 AM

148 posts, read 1,228,504 times
The skirts of Vancouver are very country (check out the Washougal, Camas and Battle Creek areas). The city is still far from overpriced like the Seattle market is currently. Vancouver has a budding tech sector and it's right next door to Portland. Crime is extremely low, the schools are great. Olympia is very similar, but more country and not nearly as large. It's also only minutes from Tacoma. I'd absolutely consider either one of those cities over anything near Seattle.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:05 PM

148 posts, read 1,228,504 times
I thought of another option. If you don't mid commuting, Aberdeen, WA is 45 min. from Olympia and is the business hub of the WA coast. Nicer homes start at $135k. The huge homes, mansions and estates start at $275. The homes are appreciating at 20%. Most are in the hills and have great views. It's just down the way from the state salmon hatchery, so fishing is the best. It's bordered by a bunch of state forests, wildlife preserves, recreation areas, the Oympic Nat. Forest is just north and the beach is a 20 min. drive. There's lots of outdoor recreational activities. Best seafood in WA. Lots of shopping ( a mall and a few large shopping centers), but also small country town feel. Has a nice litle old town area and a junior college. Schools are average, but improving. 3/4 blue collar population, very down to earth and friendly people. I honestly feel it's the best buy in WA. Another nice city in this area but 10 miles closer to Olympia is Montesano. Less features than Aberdeen, but nicer overall community (still can't beat the Aberdeen Hills IMO). Check out Shelton also. Lots of people from Seattle and CA cashing out and moving to Aberdeen and Monte as of late. Like I said before, if you comute to work in Olympia or Lacey, you can't beat it.

Last edited by Ryan; 04-23-2006 at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington