Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 06:42 AM

56 posts, read 59,230 times

Advertisements

Visiting philly in September and the one thing our group can't leave without trying is the world famous cheesesteak sandwich.

any recommendations as to who makes the best ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 08:50 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
It's times like these that you should use the search function. This has been discussed ad nauseam

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...teak-poll.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...city-area.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...teak-town.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...ak-philly.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...esesteaks.html

There's probably an additional 12 million threads on this topic, I just linked to ones from the first page of the search.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:39 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Congratulations!

You have just posted the 100th thread on cheesesteaks in Philadelphia.

For what it's worth: the TRUE Philly sandwich is a roast pork with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe - you can get one at John's Roast Pork in South Philly, Tommy DiNic's in Reading Terminal, or Jake's in the Gayborhood.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:04 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
I have three recommendations

1. Jimmy's G Steaks on Broad and Fairmount

2. Steve's Prince of Steaks on 16th and Chestnut

3. Pat's Steaks at 1237 East Passyunk Avenue

My Top 3 in the city

Old 06-21-2015, 03:59 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,940 times
Go for the trifecta of philly sandwiches. cheesesteak, hoagie, and roast pork. While there are many places you can get good versions of each, if you are going to be in center city I'd recommend Sonny's (cheesesteak), DiNics (roast pork), Campo's (hoagie)

Old 06-21-2015, 04:38 AM

789 posts, read 2,564,368 times
Visited the city for the first time yesterday due to college visits and went to Jim's on South Street. Kids and the wife thought it was great, I thought it was okay. If was very crowded with what seemed to be repeat customers, so it must be considered to be very good. It was recommended to me by a couple of the locals.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:21 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Congratulations!

You have just posted the 100th thread on cheesesteaks in Philadelphia.

For what it's worth: the TRUE Philly sandwich is a roast pork with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe - you can get one at John's Roast Pork in South Philly, Tommy DiNic's in Reading Terminal, or Jake's in the Gayborhood.
Why don't you people EVER talk about hoagies?!

I forgive you 'cause you are an "immigrant". But the ones who grew up and are still here, let's stop all the cheesesteak talk and talk about the OTHER Philly sandwich.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:24 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc View Post
Visited the city for the first time yesterday due to college visits and went to Jim's on South Street. Kids and the wife thought it was great, I thought it was okay. If was very crowded with what seemed to be repeat customers, so it must be considered to be very good. It was recommended to me by a couple of the locals.
I bet those locals have no idea that the original Jim's is miles from there. It's at 62nd and Girard Ave.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:35 AM

233 posts, read 334,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I bet those locals have no idea that the original Jim's is miles from there. It's at 62nd and Girard Ave.
When I was a younger my dad sometimes took me to that Jim's since it was much closer than south street, although later I ended up mainly getting steaks from Overbrook Pizza (I have a weakness for their toasted rolls) and Real Pizza in Narberth (decent and walking distance from where I lived). Anyways I remember them having good steaks.

Last year I went to the South Street one for the first time in forever and I thought they were terrible (dry beef plus I ordered a steak with provolone and got unmelted slices of cheese.) Not sure if it was an off day, If my memory was wrong, or if the west philly one is just better, in which case I should go back there sometime.

Last edited by thwanko; 06-21-2015 at 08:58 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 09:34 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Why don't you people EVER talk about hoagies?!

I forgive you 'cause you are an "immigrant". But the ones who grew up and are still here, let's stop all the cheesesteak talk and talk about the OTHER Philly sandwich.

Hoagies is something you get only in south philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia