Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 05:03 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
In the US, "German-American" Day is celebrated every year the same date as the founding of Germantown, Phila.

Quaker history runs deep as well-Penn Charter is considered the oldest Quaker school in the US (I know today considered East Falls).
The two are intertwined, AIUI: I believe William Penn encouraged Francis Pastorius to establish a settlement in his colony.

Not everyone welcomed the Germans, however: ISTR Benjamin Franklin penning some rather intemperate remarks about them in the 1700s using language similar to what Donald Trump has used to describe Mexican immigrants.*

IIRC, what's now East Falls was never part of the German Township. Its borders encompass present-day Germantown (carved out of the township as Germantown Borough in the 1830s), Mount Airy and Chestnut Hill.

*To bring that into the present, sort of:

Sometime last year, I was riding the K bus down Chelten Avenue towards Central Germantown when a woman on board warned us to beware "the Germans" that were invading the city. "And these are Germany Germans, who are worse than regular Germans," she continued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 11:43 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The two are intertwined, AIUI: I believe William Penn encouraged Francis Pastorius to establish a settlement in his colony.

Not everyone welcomed the Germans, however: ISTR Benjamin Franklin penning some rather intemperate remarks about them in the 1700s using language similar to what Donald Trump has used to describe Mexican immigrants.*

IIRC, what's now East Falls was never part of the German Township. Its borders encompass present-day Germantown (carved out of the township as Germantown Borough in the 1830s), Mount Airy and Chestnut Hill.

*To bring that into the present, sort of:

Sometime last year, I was riding the K bus down Chelten Avenue towards Central Germantown when a woman on board warned us to beware "the Germans" that were invading the city. "And these are Germany Germans, who are worse than regular Germans," she continued.
The more things change....

Old 10-12-2016, 05:13 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Somebody already mentioned this on here.. but seems like re establishing the trolley line like what they did on Girard could help ?
No it wouldn't. Germantown Avenue is not wide enough to properly run a trolley line. Traffic would get horribly backed up behind every trolley at peak hours and overflow traffic would choke the side streets. Trolleys may be more aesthetically pleasing but are impractical for the route.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:06 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
No it wouldn't. Germantown Avenue is not wide enough to properly run a trolley line. Traffic would get horribly backed up behind every trolley at peak hours and overflow traffic would choke the side streets. Trolleys may be more aesthetically pleasing but are impractical for the route.
It sounds like you might be unaware of some basic historical facts - if so, here's something short to read.

The argument for buses is as a benefit to transit riders. In that buses can go around things like double-parked cars, accidents, and detours.

The trolleys wouldn't run anymore than the buses already do - and cars already zoom around the buses at high speeds like they have a death wish and/or get backed up behind them and/or use other streets.

If anything, trolleys would run less than buses, as they have a larger capacity.

I don't really care all that much about trolley versus bus, as I'm just taking it to get where I need to go. But the 23 is I believe the route that carries the most people in the city (or did before the separation), yet only uses regular buses (as opposed to the articulated buses of the 17, 18, 33, 48, 9, 14, etc.) and only runs every 7-8 minutes peak-times (as opposed to the every 4-5 minutes of the L, 18, 17, H/XH combo). Makes for a very volatile situation. Whenever I take a 23 home during evening rush hour, I have to be mentally prepared to let at least 2 buses pass me by before one hopefully has enough room to let me on.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:03 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
I'm well aware of the history of the 23, and used to take it when I worked in Germantown in the '80s. I take the 23 to work most days now, so am also well aware of the need for more buses at peak times, especially during the school year. Trolleys would make the situation worse, not better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia