Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 06:26 AM

9,344 posts, read 13,010,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
If nothing else, IDK why anyone would go to the Acme up the street at this point. Grocery Outlet seems very good for staples. Fresh Market and/or Flourtown Giant for other items.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I hate ACME. It's the worst of both worlds. Meh quality at Whole Foods prices if you ask me.

See ya at the Grocery Outlet sometime soon, Tweb.
The Flourtown Giant is a great store (in a way that many other Giants are not). I’m not really enthused by Fresh Market. They have interesting gourmet odds and ends but don’t feel like a complete grocery store.

I will sometimes go to the Market Square Acme, but only because I treat it like a giant convenience store since it’s very close to me. In that limited context, the meh quality and Whole Foods prices aren’t so bad.

I really should check out Grocery Outlet, which also isn’t too far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 07:32 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
The Flourtown Giant is a great store (in a way that many other Giants are not). I’m not really enthused by Fresh Market. They have interesting gourmet odds and ends but don’t feel like a complete grocery store.

I will sometimes go to the Market Square Acme, but only because I treat it like a giant convenience store since it’s very close to me. In that limited context, the meh quality and Whole Foods prices aren’t so bad.

I really should check out Grocery Outlet, which also isn’t too far away.
LMK when you do. Be glad to meet you there.

The supermarket closest to me is a former Pathmark that got sold to Korean-American owners who have affiliated it with IGA. It's competitive on pricing, has a very good selection of Asian and Caribbean fare (they listened to their customers on the latter), and the best beer and wine section of any supermarket in this part of the city.

Old 02-16-2023, 08:07 PM

1,839 posts, read 677,466 times
Grocery Outlet will be opening a second store in South Jersey, in Vineland:
https://www.courierpostonline.com/st...d/69906572007/

It has another store in Delran.

It's great to see another grocery store expanding in South Jersey, and Grocery Outlet appears to use existing sites. Aldi and Lidl seem partially inclined to build freestanding sites.

I was just thinking that it would be a perfect fit at the former Moorestown Kmart on Route 38. Center is somewhat dying but center has Marshall's/HomeGoods and Dollar Tree, ideal tenants as neighbors, and has good site access in general.

Old 02-16-2023, 09:49 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Isn't there a grocery store on North Broad Street somewhere around Fairmount, I think. It was supposed to open last year. Is it open or did it close?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The flagship Aldi?
That Aldi is doing quite well. It is the largest Aldi store in the region. (I front-and-centered it in my preview writeup of the apartment building that was built around it.)

However, from what I can tell, the extra space isn't devoted to increasing the variety of products the store carries — and given that Aldi operates on a business model that limits the number of SKUs on the shelves, this makes sense.

What it does have are unusually wide aisles and maybe more "ALDI finds" non-food items than most Aldi stores. It's also the first, or one of the first, Aldi stores in the region to install self checkouts. The store has six, which replaced four of the seven checkout lanes.

Something else that distinguishes the Broadridge Aldi from other stores: it's the first Aldi in the region that puts the produce department in the front of the store, where it's the first section you pass through (unless you enter from the garage entrance, where you have to pass the checkouts before entering the store). Most supermarkets place the colorful produce section right inside the main entrance, but up to this point, Aldi made you pass the salty snacks and bread before depositing you in the produce section in its stores.

I tend to frequent this store because it sits right on top of Fairmount subway station. When we had our offices in the Curtis Building, I just took the Ridge Spur two stops; now that we have no office, I just remember to take the local rather than the express if it's before 6:45 p.m. Either way, it's on my way home from Center City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia