Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 11:57 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,881,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Oh, God no! I was hoping pleated pants would never come back.

No socks, in summer, comes and goes as a style.
Yes

Quote:
Please! Let's not repeat fanny packs or Birkenstocks or Earth shoes. I think Earth shoes are definitely gone though.

Eh, no Crocs either!
Yes, and yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 12:01 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,491,727 times
Quote:
You forced all the millenial posters to google Thatcher L. Lol. They would have no idea who he was without looking him up.
I had to Wikipedia him.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:13 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,771,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I had to Wikipedia him.
Wrt Thatcher L. et. al

Southbound has a remarkable memory for a lot of old things/people regarding Philly. It's great actually. When she does it I end up remembering many of those things too...things I had forgotten, tbh.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:44 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,459,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
I am just glad that for ONCE it is men, instead of women, who are following ridiculous-looking fashion trends!

My philosophy is this: I don't care how "in" something is. If it looks ridiculous, or is unflattering, I am not wearing it.
You mean the pants half-way down or even below the keester with the underwear showing isn't ridiculous? How about the baseball cap to the side so as to make one appear to be a child simpleton? Males, all males.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:11 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,711,256 times
Quote:
Wrt Thatcher L. et. al

Southbound has a remarkable memory for a lot of old things/people regarding Philly. It's great actually. When she does it I end up remembering many of those things too...things I had forgotten, tbh.
I saw Thatcher walking in Center City frequently. He had the reputation for the socks. It wasn't until you saw him that you understood that the sock thing came from him wearing high water pants that were also the 1940s style pleated pants.

The shoes that are in the current pictures look like updates of the 1940s brogans.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:24 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,459,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I saw Thatcher walking in Center City frequently. He had the reputation for the socks. It wasn't until you saw him that you understood that the sock thing came from him wearing high water pants that were also the 1940s style pleated pants.

The shoes that are in the current pictures look like updates of the 1940s brogans.
Mr. Longstreth was a true Philadelphia character and a good man.

Old 02-11-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Mr. Longstreth was a true Philadelphia character and a good man.
After the Bicentennial debacle I couldn't help but think that if Thatcher had been mayor that would have gone down differently. I heard the same thought from several others over the years.

But, back to the topic, it looks like the 40s are back, again.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:04 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,771,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
After the Bicentennial debacle I couldn't help but think that if Thatcher had been mayor that would have gone down differently. I heard the same thought from several others over the years.

But, back to the topic, it looks like the 40s are back, again.
I agree with you. The Bicentennial could have been a spectacular success with someone like him behind it.

Did anyone wear skinny suits in the 40s? Tight-ish, single breasted jackets, unpleated pants in solid colors. No tweeds or stripes. That's what some of these young guys are wearing. Clothes that work against people who any extra poundage.

The 40s had men in a lot of double breasted suit jackets and, yes, pleated pants with cuffs, always white shirts and tie clips.. A lot wore suspenders. And hats. My dad wore suspenders and hats. John Kennedy killed that style in about 1960. Doubled breasted came back in the 80s. Now it's gone again.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I agree with you. The Bicentennial could have been a spectacular success with someone like him behind it.

Did anyone wear skinny suits in the 40s? Tight-ish, single breasted jackets, unpleated pants in solid colors. No tweeds or stripes. That's what some of these young guys are wearing. Clothes that work against people who any extra poundage.

The 40s had men in a lot of double breasted suit jackets and, yes, pleated pants with cuffs, always white shirts and tie clips.. A lot wore suspenders. And hats. My dad wore suspenders and hats. John Kennedy killed that style in about 1960. Doubled breasted came back in the 80s. Now it's gone again.
One word, disco. Remember Travolta in the Saturday Night Fever Suit. Somewhere in there were the hideous pleated pants suits, too.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:39 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,355,195 times
Quote:

I just hope the bagginess of suits and jackets doesn't come back. I love a man in a slim suit. I thought skinny suits were big in the 60s as well? Men seem to like slimmer fitting clothes in the 2010s, I certainly do, and hope the trend continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: