Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:14 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,774,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I just hope the bagginess of suits and jackets doesn't come back. I love a man in a slim suit. I thought skinny suits were big in the 60s as well? Men seem to like slimmer fitting clothes in the 2010s, I certainly do, and hope the trend continues.
I'm with you! Yes, suits and ties definitely got slimmer during the 60s. Smaller lapels, single venting on jackets, ties shrunk to almost strings. Suspenders died off. Bow ties died off. Belt-less pants happened but were not that universal. But the suits then were not as slim as they are now.

JFK brought on the "no hat with brims" look and it's still going on. Unless it's a beanie, in colder whether, I don't see hats with brims on men ever coming back in any big way.

The slims, I think, kinda grew out of skinny jeans/leggings-on-women look and those are still controlling what I see women wearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I just hope the bagginess of suits and jackets doesn't come back. I love a man in a slim suit. I thought skinny suits were big in the 60s as well? Men seem to like slimmer fitting clothes in the 2010s, I certainly do, and hope the trend continues.
If you have an interest in seeing how some of the styles evolved during the 60s, the Mad Men show is a good place to start.
The flip hair style the Peggy Olsen character had in the mid-60s is exactly what I was doing from about 1965-67.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:04 PM

9,384 posts, read 9,362,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'm with you! Yes, suits and ties definitely got slimmer during the 60s. Smaller lapels, single venting on jackets, ties shrunk to almost strings. Suspenders died off. Bow ties died off. Belt-less pants happened but were not that universal. But the suits then were not as slim as they are now.

JFK brought on the "no hat with brims" look and it's still going on. Unless it's a beanie, in colder whether, I don't see hats with brims on men ever coming back in any big way.

The slims, I think, kinda grew out of skinny jeans/leggings-on-women look and those are still controlling what I see women wearing.
The men I see wearing hats with brims is very selective crowd, popular in Brooklyn.

Quote:
If you have an interest in seeing how some of the styles evolved during the 60s, the Mad Men show is a good place to start.
The flip hair style the Peggy Olsen character had in the mid-60s is exactly what I was doing from about 1965-67.
I see hints on 1960s fashion becoming more common between the thicker heels, vibrant colors, mini dresses, thick circle rimmed sunglasses, etc.

Yet home décor is now taking on a very neutral gray tone, kind of 1930s/40s, I believe? I was in restoration hardware the other day and it almost felt like an art deco era with the latest home deco trends.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
The men I see wearing hats with brims is very selective crowd, popular in Brooklyn.

I see hints on 1960s fashion becoming more common between the thicker heels, vibrant colors, mini dresses, thick circle rimmed sunglasses, etc.

Yet home décor is now taking on a very neutral gray tone, kind of 1930s/40s, I believe? I was in restoration hardware the other day and it almost felt like an art deco era with the latest home deco trends.
Now, that you say that, yes, some men wear hats now and have for a few years. But, decades ago most men wore fedoras. Any really old film shows how universal hats used to be.

Mini dresses/skirts were late 60s into the early 70s. Yes, I wore them! Lol.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:41 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,771,128 times
Quote:
I agree. But unfortunately, it starts to come back.
Everything now started to get oversized. I have couple shirts, jackets and pants like that. Just because it's a part of my job. They do not really fit my body profile. When I wear them I look like a HOBO.

Old 02-15-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Everything now started to get oversized. I have couple shirts, jackets and pants like that. Just because it's a part of my job. They do not really fit my body profile. When I wear them I look like a HOBO.
You will never see me in baggy clothes haha. I wear my shirts nice and slim to show off the guns.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Ugh.... I guess we will have to see if that catches on in any big way in Philly.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,385,785 times
Quote:
Plus, ....sorry for being ageist....but this model is too old to being doing this.

Only guys under 35(if that!)
Cutting edge fashion trends are common up to about 60 in Europe, maybe 50 in big American cities .

In the rest of the US, if you are over 35 or have more than one child, wearing anything but khakis, a tucked in polo shirt straining over your gut, and white sneakers with white socks (think Jake from State Farm), you are considered an insufferable hipster :-)

Old 02-15-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Cutting edge fashion trends are common up to about 60 in Europe, maybe 50 in big American cities .

In the rest of the US, if you are over 35 or have more than one child, wearing anything but khakis, a tucked in polo shirt straining over your gut, and white sneakers with white socks (think Jake from State Farm), you are considered an insufferable hipster :-)
This is so funny yet sadly true. Europe has always been more fashion forward then the states. I always see such sad outfits when I leave my NYC bubble.

Old 02-15-2017, 01:12 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,492,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

This is so sad, but oh so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: