Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 07:56 AM

512 posts, read 320,972 times
This is certainly my favorite place online.
So many people have chimed in with amazing info, and there is so much for me to take in and ponder.
Thank you EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU who have contributed to this thread; I truly appreciate all of the stuff you guys have posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 09:49 AM

288 posts, read 244,615 times
Fishtown is featured in American Airline's in-flight magazine this month!

https://americanwaymagazine.com/neig...watch-fishtown

They mention Cake Life which isn't all that great compared to the hidden gem down the block - Ramona Susan's.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:20 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post

They mention Cake Life which isn't all that great compared to the hidden gem down the block - Ramona Susan's.
This is SO funny to me in a good way because I doubt many oldtimers would have pegged Fishtown as turning into some cool place even 10 years ago.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:14 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,869,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
This is SO funny to me in a good way because I doubt many oldtimers would have pegged Fishtown as turning into some cool place even 10 years ago.
Some folks that currently live in the neighborhood, but don't really frequent the commercial strips are still unaware of how wild it's gotten. I know someone who lives in an intact older block (they very traditional and don't go out much) and I'd love to see their face if they were on an AA flight and saw the article.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:46 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post

I like Cake Life a lot, but they tend to be real expensive too. I'd never heard of Ramona, and now I want to try her out.

Old 10-07-2017, 07:52 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
Growing up in South Philly and then Eastwick -- I can't say I know anything much about Fishtown. (other than it's there, along with Kensington, Port Richmond, and Bridesburg) Who knew it was a hot regentrifying spot.

Maybe it's because I live closer to these areas -- but over the years, I've heard much more about the "grad hosp area" -- (a term that came into fashion when the gentrification of "SW center city" -- another real estate moniker came to be) -- Brewerytown, Northern Liberties, and Art Museum gentrification -- than Fishtown.

But then again maybe I'm misinformed about Brewerytown. I thought Brewerytown was the triangle area north of the art museum, bordered by about PA avenue, Brown/Parrish/Poplar and 23rd street. But then I saw that name used for an are further east. So maybe I don't know WHERE it is.

I've even hearing more about Point Breeze, and Gray Ferry and "Newbold" -- than Fishtown.
And "Newbold is also new to me. Growing up in South Philly I never heard the neighborhood term -- "Newbold."
Granted I was young when we moved to Eastwick but I never heard "Newbold" -- and had lived at 21st and Christian and went to school at 18th and Passyunk (and we shopped sometimes on Point Breeze Avenue) -- so you'd think I would have heard that name at some point. Is that name new -- or being "revived?"

As for Fishtown good to hear and learn that it's "hot."

Old 10-08-2017, 01:17 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
But that's part of the new inhabitants charm ... and let's not even talk about the increase in crime and rude behavior.
I'm not going to touch crime and rudeness, but if I were a lifelong Philadelphian, I wouldn't go around making snarky remarks about newcomers trashing neighborhoods here.

"Filthydelphia" has been around for decades and has only ceased to exist where the local business owners have decided to tax themselves for extra street and sidewalk cleaning.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:21 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Growing up in South Philly and then Eastwick -- I can't say I know anything much about Fishtown. (other than it's there, along with Kensington, Port Richmond, and Bridesburg) Who knew it was a hot regentrifying spot.

Maybe it's because I live closer to these areas -- but over the years, I've heard much more about the "grad hosp area" -- (a term that came into fashion when the gentrification of "SW center city" -- another real estate moniker came to be) -- Brewerytown, Northern Liberties, and Art Museum gentrification -- than Fishtown.

But then again maybe I'm misinformed about Brewerytown. I thought Brewerytown was the triangle area north of the art museum, bordered by about PA avenue, Brown/Parrish/Poplar and 23rd street. But then I saw that name used for an are further east. So maybe I don't know WHERE it is.

I've even hearing more about Point Breeze, and Gray Ferry and "Newbold" -- than Fishtown.
And "Newbold is also new to me. Growing up in South Philly I never heard the neighborhood term -- "Newbold."
Granted I was young when we moved to Eastwick but I never heard "Newbold" -- and had lived at 21st and Christian and went to school at 18th and Passyunk (and we shopped sometimes on Point Breeze Avenue) -- so you'd think I would have heard that name at some point. Is that name new -- or being "revived?"

As for Fishtown good to hear and learn that it's "hot."
Brewerytown is located entirely to the west of Girard College. 27th is its eastern border, Brown its southern (more or less). Fairmount Park and Thompson Street (roughly) form its other two.

"Newbold" was recently given a quiet burial by the people who embraced it when they discovered it used to be the name of one of the streets located in it (the block of South Hicks next to the South Philly Tap Room, John Longacre's first restaurant).

Newbold Neighbors Association voted to rename itself East Point Breeze Neighbors.

"Graduate Hospital" never made sense for me as that neighborhood's name, as the institution is both defunct and outside its borders, if only barely. Were I a real estate agent, I would have started calling it "Andersonville" after its best-known former resident, singer Marian Anderson.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:28 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
^^ Thanks.

As for Fishtown. Being to the south side of there....
(Yes, I know Philly doesn't use the word south for it's neighborhoods. I just mean 'on the southern side of....')

....I just never had a reason so go there or to any area on that side of the city.
I'm 57 years old and have NEVER been to Fishtown, or most of its neighboring/nearby areas.
Heck outside of Roosevelt Blvd for shoppingm until abouta year ago I could count on one hand the number of times I've been to ANY part of "the Northeast." (same for folks from the NE coming my way, I guess.....)

But it's good to know Fishtown and its environs are improving. anything that raises the 'socio-economic' demographics of Philly is a good thing.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:49 AM

288 posts, read 244,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I like Cake Life a lot, but they tend to be real expensive too. I'd never heard of Ramona, and now I want to try her out.
For my birthday this past August, my wife ordered a chocolate-peanut butter cheesecake with graham cracker crust. Let those words sink in. It was as decadent as it sounds.

My fav there is the red velvet cupcake. There's little salt crystals (not too many) that add a nice crunch and flavor contrast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia