Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 08:43 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,772,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
This is me. I go to fancy restaurants in baggy shorts because I am comfortable in baggy shorts. Sorry, I don't dress for strangers. I once went to New York in crocs.

If you see someone dressed like a punk in business class on a plane, that's me. I'm glad Mark Zuckerberg still dresses in hoodies and has refused to fit into what is expected of him to dress. I also think suits suck.
Would you have just stayed home when dress codes were a way of life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 09:30 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,557,677 times
I would have suffered. I do wear suits depending who I am meeting for work, but I hate suits and ties. The last time I wore a tie was to a job interview and the next time I wear a tie it will be to an interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Would you have just stayed home when dress codes were a way of life?

Old 10-25-2017, 04:46 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,228,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Personally, I don't consider it urban vs. suburban. If folks from "middle America" came into the city dressed with clean pants, a nice sweater or something that demonstrates an effort to present one's self to the world in a quality manner, that's good enough. It's the folks who stroll in and go to a nice restaurant with a t-shirt with writing all over it or women wearing yoga pants out to eat (yes, as a straight male, I technically don't mind, but come on). Those are offenses even from people living in the city TBH.
So having spent most of my life in "'murica" whatever that is...

The really weird thing to me about the self-declared East Coast Philadelphia elite versus middle America thing is that outside of bubbles, Philadelphians aren't exactly fashionable.

I see more sweatsuits as an outfit here more than I have anywhere else. Not to mention clothes that don't even fit over people's bodies.

But I mean there is a ton of deep poverty here, not to mention the amount of derelicts, compared to almost anywhere in middle America. I don't blame people for not spending money on how they are presenting themselves when they are possibly trying to feed a family and have very little.

My wife and I honestly go out of our way to buy the least nice thing possible suitable for work so that we don't really stand out taking SEPTA back and forth from work, especially standing on streetcorners in North Philadelphia waiting to transfer.

I'm just having trouble seeing all that hate from Philadelphia towards jean and t-shirt country (which is how I typically dress, or a button down shirt - and I've never felt out of place anywhere I lived, inlcuding supposedly fancy Philadephia).

Old 10-25-2017, 05:06 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,269,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Philadelphians aren't exactly fashionable.
Understatement.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:59 AM

14,201 posts, read 9,103,670 times
Quote:
My wife and I honestly go out of our way to buy the least nice thing possible suitable for work so that we don't really stand out taking SEPTA back and forth from work, especially standing on streetcorners in North Philadelphia waiting to transfer.

I'm just having trouble seeing all that hate from Philadelphia towards jean and t-shirt country (which is how I typically dress, or a button down shirt - and I've never felt out of place anywhere I lived, inlcuding supposedly fancy Philadephia).
I note that sweats outnumber suits on the Route 18, but at peak hours, I do see riders dressed in business wear. Other than on Sundays, when I'm underdressed in a tweed jacket and turtleneck, I tend to be the best-dressed male waiting for the bus at Chew and Chelten in that same getup at AM peak. (The women dress well.)

One of those riders, as those of you who follow me on Facebook may remember, is the vice president for government relations at the Greater Philadelphia Association of Realtors, who lives further up the route in an overwhelmingly African-American middle-class neighborhood. (He's Indian-American, one of only a handful of Americans of Asian descent living in that neighborhood.)

I don't mind dressing up or dressing down. However, while I wear jackets fairly often, I almost never wear neckties.

Who said Philadelphia was fancy? I get the distinct impression that kyb01, AJNEOA and cpomp, who moved away, represent a minority sentiment hereabouts.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:01 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,357,240 times
Quote:
So having spent most of my life in "'murica" whatever that is...

The really weird thing to me about the self-declared East Coast Philadelphia elite versus middle America thing is that outside of bubbles, Philadelphians aren't exactly fashionable.
To clarify, I don't think Philadelphia is a fashionable city. A walk down Chestnut St will surely support that argument. I was meshing two points into one. My big city bubble comment came from walking down the street and not blinking when you see two men or women embrace in public, or any other sight that might not fly in traditional "murica". That was related to my tourist comment in New York when small town Americans venture to New York and act shocked/ disgusted when they see two men kissing. Plenty of other examples, that is just an obvious one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Who said Philadelphia was fancy? I get the distinct impression that kyb01, AJNEOA and cpomp, who moved away, represent a minority sentiment hereabouts.
Also to clarify, I don't think Philadelphia is fashinable. Sure, you see some well dressed people in Center City, but thats about it. The only real fashionable cities in the USA (IMO) are New York, LA, and Miami.

I actually stood out many times walking the streets of Philadelphia in my attire, however in New York, and basically every European city I've been too I do not stand out.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:25 AM

288 posts, read 245,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
My point is: As a straight, white male, I have to be very careful with sharing my views (esp when true) on this forum regarding race, religion and sexual orientation.
Snowflake.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:26 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,882,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Also to clarify, I don't think Philadelphia is fashinable. Sure, you see some well dressed people in Center City, but thats about it. The only real fashionable cities in the USA (IMO) are New York, LA, and Miami.

I actually stood out many times walking the streets of Philadelphia in my attire, however in New York, and basically every European city I've been too I do not stand out.
Yes, exactly what I was thinking. Exactly.

And I'm not "hating" on jeans and t-shirts FBR. Not sure if that was directed at me. But there's a time and place for that just like there's a time and place for a suit. And clothes can be very cheap and still look respectable. It's more that I see people on the streets in sweat pants and $400 sneakers. Not exactly a sign that they couldn't afford sleeves on their shirts or a different material of pants...

Old 10-26-2017, 07:28 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,882,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
This is me. I go to fancy restaurants in baggy shorts because I am comfortable in baggy shorts. Sorry, I don't dress for strangers. I once went to New York in crocs.

If you see someone dressed like a punk in business class on a plane, that's me. I'm glad Mark Zuckerberg still dresses in hoodies and has refused to fit into what is expected of him to dress. I also think suits suck.
LOL, you and Mark Zuckerberg are part of a different context, no? Btw, I love how apologetic you are for not being apologetic for your Billy Idol punk attire on planes in business class (not to be confused with first class).

Old 10-26-2017, 09:15 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,459,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
Snowflake.
Hey, just stating facts. Don't blame me, blame the system ... But, you are using 'snowflake' in the completely wrong context here. Try again.

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 10-26-2017 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia