Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 12:39 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm considering seeking an internal transfer to my company's HQ in Philly. I'll respond to the questions from the sticky in a sec, but wanted to give some background info on myself first.

I'll be a young 40 around the time of the considered move. Born and raised in NYC, grew up in the Bronx, lived in Manhattan for several years, now live in Astoria (Queens). I'm single, but would like to meet someone, get married, start a family, that whole thing. I do not want to spend the rest of my life in NYC, but don't want to be too too far from my mother as she gets older. Philly seems like a good option.

I like living in Astoria, it's walkable, has lot of restaurants and bars (although I don't frequent those much), and gives me an easy-ish commute to work. I also don't have much trouble keeping a car here, so it provides a nice balance. Cons are: it's expensive, I don't have many amenities (that's NYC for ya!) and I want to eventually be able to buy.

IF I move to Philly, I would rent for a year to make sure I liked the area, and then look to buy. The idea of a multi-family/duplex/triplex etc is very appealing to me but may be less important outside of NYC. I'm definitely not interested in suburbs, but also don't need to be downtown.

When are you moving? 12+ months, in the considering phase right now
Where are you coming from? NYC, have never lived anywhere else
Why are you moving? Want a change of pace, possible job relocation
Where will you be working? Center City, would like to commute by train and have a commute of less than 30 minutes if possible
Have you been here yet? Many times but quick trips, usually no longer than 1 night

Will you buy or rent? Rent first, then eventually buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? n/a
How much can you spend? TBD
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Any of the above. More interested in space and parking than actual apartment type. Prefer to spend less than $1600, would like a 2 bed/2 bath, with washer/dryer/dishwasher/parking
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Either is fine, will not walk up more than 1 flight though

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? Prefer to live in city, no suburbs please.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single for now, hope to change that eventually, also eventually want a kid or two
Do you prefer public or private schools? n/a as of now, but would like to be able to send any future kids to public
Do you have pets? No. Probably wouldn’t until after buying.
Do you want or need a yard? Not necessary with renting, would want with buying.
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Something in between or a balance of both

What do you want to be closest to? Don’t have a preference, I like living in a vibrant neighborhood with walkability but also quiet pockets
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Diverse

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water? Wine

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 01:08 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Maybe areas like Bella Vista, East Passyunk, Queen Village or even Point Breeze

all close even walkable to Center City and with transit options

will give some of the Queens feeling

There are many options North, South and West just in the next set of Center City neighborhoods to explore

parking will be the biggest challenge but most of these would not require a car to get to your job so street parking is always an option

Come down for a weekend and walk around and explore

Old 01-25-2018, 01:21 PM

Thanks - does Philly have alternate side the way NY does? I have alt side now, albeit fairly lax days, and it's ready to make me drive the car into a river. Just kidding, I need it but I'm so over street parking.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:27 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Thanks - does Philly have alternate side the way NY does? I have alt side now, albeit fairly lax days, and it's ready to make me drive the car into a river. Just kidding, I need it but I'm so over street parking.

no alt side parking in Philly $35 a year for street parking

Old 01-25-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
no alt side parking in Philly $35 a year for street parking
Good to know! Thanks again.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:57 PM

288 posts, read 244,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
No alternate side because there is NO street cleaning here. That's right. Do get a parking permit; it's stupidly cheap at $35/year, which is TEN cents a day to park your car in your zone for as long as you want.

Astoria is cool, just keep in mind that there are only two subway lines here vs the 25 or so we have grown up with. I'm sure you are used to getting on the N/Q at Broadway and I think any of the neighborhoods along the Broad st line below City Hall would be similar. There is the huge project at the corner of Washington & Broad that will have a lot of units coming online sometime this year, which might be a good option. It's a couple blocks away from the awesome Viet restaurants and Asian markets, Broad st line is a couple blocks away, and walkable north to South, Pine, Chestnut, Sansom streets, etc.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:16 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
OP, there are two ex-New Yorkers, somewhat regular posters, who moved to Philly. Both are city people. You might want to check out the neighborhoods they live in: Old City and Fairmount.

Old City is the historic district. It contains Independence Historic Park. Old City is also a neighborhood in Center City(what we call downtown)which you may have heard of. Old City gets loads of tourists but is still a draw for active Philadelphians to its many restaurants, clubs, art galleries, and independent unique shops.

Fairmount, or sometimes called Art Museum because it's adjacent to The Philadelphia Museum ofArt, is more family oriented but still has a robust set of lively restaurants, bars and independent coffee houses. No Starbucks in Fairmount, for instance. The other draw to Fairmount is Eastern State Penitentiary which is now a museum and does get substantial tourist traffic. Since you mentioned starting a family you might want to check out this neighborhood or Spring Garden which is "next door". I live in Spring Garden. If it matters to you the largest Whole Foods in the city is in Fairmount.

Both Old City and Fairmount are pretty easy commutes to your job.

Note: Our transit agency, Septa, is getting to the final stages of implementing its new fare system, Septa Key. It's a refillable tap card. We are finally retiring tokens here! Just look at septa.org for info.

Oh, I'm remembering there's another ex-New Yorker, I think, who just moved here. She moved to University City/West Phila.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post
No alternate side because there is NO street cleaning here. That's right. Do get a parking permit; it's stupidly cheap at $35/year, which is TEN cents a day to park your car in your zone for as long as you want.

Astoria is cool, just keep in mind that there are only two subway lines here vs the 25 or so we have grown up with. I'm sure you are used to getting on the N/Q at Broadway and I think any of the neighborhoods along the Broad st line below City Hall would be similar. There is the huge project at the corner of Washington & Broad that will have a lot of units coming online sometime this year, which might be a good option. It's a couple blocks away from the awesome Viet restaurants and Asian markets, Broad st line is a couple blocks away, and walkable north to South, Pine, Chestnut, Sansom streets, etc.
OP, the Viet, Mexican places this post talks about are an out growth of the open air of the Italian Market on 9th St.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:35 PM

288 posts, read 244,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
OP, the Viet, Mexican places this post talks about are an out growth of the open air of the Italian Market on 9th St.
My bad forgetting to mention the Italian Market. It's a great place. DiBruno Bros. there has my and my wife's most recent guilty addiction - Lemon Ricotta cheese. Holy shi*t. It's SO good. Tastes delectable like cheesecake but it's still a cheese!

Parking will be a nightmare in Old City and a price for a parking spot will be high. Fairmount is cool but I think the established parts are further from the BSL and outside of feasible walking distance, Closer to the BSL, that section has a ways to go.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_PHL_DEL View Post

Parking will be a nightmare in Old City and a price for a parking spot will be high. Fairmount is cool but I think the established parts are further from the BSL and outside of feasible walking distance

The OP didn't stipulate where her job would be so using the BSL might not matter.

I'm almost 70. I live in the western part of Spring Garden, next to Fairmount, and I can walk to at least JFK/Comcast Center in about 15 minutes. The OP would be 40. We live in a so-called walkable city so more people should be walking.

Buses run through Fairmount: the 48 and 33.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia