Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,116 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I will be starting residency at Thomas Jefferson University mid-June. Since my hours will be pretty terrible, I have prioritized living as close to the hospital as I can afford. However, it seems like none of the apartment complexes in this area have parking included, and it is very expensive to keep a car.

I am moving from Alabama, where a car is absolutely essential for everything...

I think I can handle living without a car for the most part, but I am worried about groceries and a few other things. For instance, I will have to commute to Wilmington for 1 month per year. Is there any way possible to keep a car peripherally? I.E. could I park somewhere outside of the city, like at the end of a metro line or at a train stop? Ideally, I would only need the car about once a month, and then I could move it to a close (but expensive) parking lot in city center for the month when I will have to commute every day.

I would appreciate any input, even if it is just to tell me that I am being unrealistic. lol. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 08:47 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charminglynne View Post
Hello all!

I will be starting residency at Thomas Jefferson University mid-June. Since my hours will be pretty terrible, I have prioritized living as close to the hospital as I can afford. However, it seems like none of the apartment complexes in this area have parking included, and it is very expensive to keep a car.

I am moving from Alabama, where a car is absolutely essential for everything...

I think I can handle living without a car for the most part, but I am worried about groceries and a few other things. For instance, I will have to commute to Wilmington for 1 month per year. Is there any way possible to keep a car peripherally? I.E. could I park somewhere outside of the city, like at the end of a metro line or at a train stop? Ideally, I would only need the car about once a month, and then I could move it to a close (but expensive) parking lot in city center for the month when I will have to commute every day.

I would appreciate any input, even if it is just to tell me that I am being unrealistic. lol. Thanks!
Groceries near Jeff: Mom's Market(11th St between Market and Chestnut Sts at Ludlow), Target, 1100 block of Chestnut St.Whole Foods, 900 block of South St.

Just so you know, Septa( and Amtrak trains), the Phila transit authority, has trains to Wilmington, so you may not need your car for that commute.

Where in AL are you coming from? I have family in Birmingham.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:29 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times
Philadelphia being the second largest city on the east coast and a colonial city is not car friendly. I have lived over 7 years without a car and if you locate here you will find ZERO problems with giving up car ownership. To be honest it is VERY LIBERATING to not need to own a car and to save the wasted expenses.

I know many med students and your need to travel outside for residency etc. is common here. There are a few parking areas that you can manage to park your car without needing to zone.

If you change your plates to Pennsylvania, and get a Pennsylvania license, with a Philadelphia address you can get a zoning permit to park on residential streets. The yearly cost is below $50. I would recommend to go this route first since you do not need the car on a daily basis for most of the year.

When you do travel daily if you have reoccurring problems finding parking, then perhaps pay for a dedicated space at a garage.

This is your BEST route.

For your yearly needs, you are moving to a Top 5 walkable city in the USA. Meaning you do not need a car. By any means or standards. There is a reason car ownership is a hassle here. Because the city was designed before cars. And puts people before cars. Which is badass.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:01 AM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,995 times
I would suggest renting a car or using Lyft,
and from the end of a stop if you can if you do not have to rush to Wilmington per se.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:38 AM

82 posts, read 68,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Groceries near Jeff: Mom's Market(11th St between Market and Chestnut Sts at Ludlow), Target, 1100 block of Chestnut St.Whole Foods, 900 block of South St.

Just so you know, Septa( and Amtrak trains), the Phila transit authority, has trains to Wilmington, so you may not need your car for that commute.

Where in AL are you coming from? I have family in Birmingham.
Don't forget about the Reading Terminal, 2 Blocks further than 11th and Market but it is the best groceries imo in the area. I may be biased because I used to work there though.

It should be perfectly easy to live without a car in the Center City area. There is a train that goes to Wilmington, but if your place of work is not walkable there is probably an uber/lyft you could take from the station. I think there may even be an uber discount if you take it from train stations but I could be wrong. Otherwise you may be able to park your car near a station along the Wilmington line say near Claymont station

Old 03-21-2018, 12:41 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I would suggest renting a car or using Lyft,
and from the end of a stop if you can if you do not have to rush to Wilmington per se.

Yes, if the OP will only need a car on rare occasions Zip car-share is also good choice. If the OP intends to buy a large amount of groceries at one time Shop-Rite home delivery works well.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:33 PM

16 posts, read 15,794 times
Agree with everyone. I used to work at Jefferson and now make the commute to Wilmington daily. I think that you should be fine without a car when you are working in Center City. Many residents manage without a car.

Unfortunately the hospital in Wilmington is several miles from the train station and pretty removed from any mass transit options. Having access to a car during that month is pretty much a necessity. I don’t know a single person who doesn’t drive to DuPont. It’s a beautiful campus but just secluded from the rest of Wilmington. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2018, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,116 times
@kyb01, I am coming from UAB in Birmingham. I am very hopeful for a milder summer this year in Philly!

Thank you everyone for the encouragement! I'm sure I will be able to make do, it will just be an adjustment. Thank you for the helpful tips! I will definitely have to sign up for Shop-Rite and zip car. Plus I just found out that Amazon has a grocery delivery service now as well.

I had no idea this was a Top 5 walkable city... that is very reassuring!

Old 04-22-2018, 10:31 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,589,431 times
Peapod (Giant) also delivers and there is a Trader Joe's at 20th and Market.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:18 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Peapod (Giant) also delivers and there is a Trader Joe's at 20th and Market.
21st and Market, and the entrance to the store is on the back side of the building (tricky to find.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia