Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:42 PM

15 posts, read 66,308 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'm moving out there from San Diego and can hardly wait to be in a real city with real culture. I had a friend who went to an Eagles (Fly Eagles Fly!) game wearing a Giants jersey when he was @ 7 years and he got hit with beer cans! Maybe they were aiming for his dad who should have known better! While it's not a complete representative of the Philly attitude in my eyes, I appreciate the passion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 09:05 PM

7 posts, read 25,584 times
This makes me feel great! I am originally from Philly and made the mistake of moving to Florida 6 years ago after vacationing here (why does everyone think its going to be like vacation-doh!)...well I'm thinking about moving back and this is exactly what I want to hear! Yay! And believe me, I need some culture!! And some people under 40! :-)

Old 06-09-2008, 11:04 AM

86 posts, read 417,503 times
I'm near Philadelphia right now at "Vanillanova" U for summer term, and I gotta agree, y'all have an interesting city.

I love how you can walk everywhere in Center City and South Philly. I made it from the Schuylkill to the Delaware in a little over an hour (probably could have done it faster, but my head was at a 90 degree angle the whole time, looking at the 'scrapers). Public transportation rocks too- R5 gets me from Villanova to 30th Street station in 25 minutes.

I haven't been to the northern parts yet; I'm looking forward to go.

I live in Florida and can't wait to get the heck out. This state is too hot and you gotta drive EVERYWHERE. plus the only culture outside of Miami is the "yee-haw" culture

Maybe I'll come up to Philly for grad school.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:38 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,343,340 times
I miss the Philly people. Honest, grounded, not afraid to speak their mind. They always let you know where they stand on any issue, especially politics and sports. Their passion is amazing. Glad you like the city; I think the best is yet to come

Old 06-13-2008, 10:42 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
i find myself missing philly every now and again - loved the people there, in fact i'm defending them for not being a rude sort on another thread here

you'll be fine at any sporting event except the eagles as long as you act right - NBA is where I got the most talk, hockey the least ....... baseball tends to be a little more social

i'd take the trains in and out with my sonics/marlins/sharks stuff on and aside from some typical talk never had much of a problem

dodgers shouldn't be a problem - just don't get defensive, keep a sense of humour and roll with it

Old 06-30-2008, 01:33 PM

71 posts, read 353,977 times
i know what you guys mean, i live in lancaster county, but wish i lived in philly. all i need is a decent amount of money so i can find a nice place in center city.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:22 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscrilla View Post
I too would like to give Philly some praise. I love visiting your town. In fact, I make it a point to go at least once per year. I did a two yr stint in/around Philly back in 97-99 and ever since then have been totally mesmerized by the city. I am so surprised that it's charms have not been more expressed.

Philly to the outsider is outstanding. My opinion is that it has the best original food going for it. What's better than an Italian hoagie for lunch a cheesesteak for dinner and a water ice for a snack? Don't forget about the awesome pizza and pretzels too. Man, I can't wait to come visit this year!!!
A major spike in blood pressure and weight.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
I miss the Philly people. Honest, grounded, not afraid to speak their mind. They always let you know where they stand on any issue, especially politics and sports. Their passion is amazing. Glad you like the city; I think the best is yet to come

People in Philly have the most narrow minded, uninteresting, political views. They are brainwashed Liberals. The Republicans could not even run a Candidate for Mayor. And, the town is worse off for it.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:27 PM

I was brainwashed years ago to like Philly but I got over it. There's some definite good things like Mcglinchies Bar on 15th and Latimer but I would not move there. The friendly attitude is selective and inconsitent. You may meet some friendly people but you also will meet quite a few unfirendly folks as well.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:27 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,565,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriskupn View Post
This makes me feel great! I am originally from Philly and made the mistake of moving to Florida 6 years ago after vacationing here (why does everyone think its going to be like vacation-doh!)...well I'm thinking about moving back and this is exactly what I want to hear! Yay! And believe me, I need some culture!! And some people under 40! :-)

Same here I am originally from the Northern NJ (Newark metro area) and moved to Florida (Not because I wanted to) and absolutely hate it, no culture and no real downtowns to speak of, just a tourist haven. I am planning on moving to Philly in about a year and can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia