Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 10:23 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I share you frustration kyb01. Getting overlooked for the typical stuff, I can rationalize. But Independence Day
at the place where the actual Declaration was written and those bells of freedom first rung out? Makes zero sense.

Ok but why does Boston get tons of national media coverage on the 4th and Philadelphia gets none?
Exactly. This is when I tend to loathe Boston. Eh....

Philadelphia was the capital of the country for ten years. But, let's over celebrate the 4th in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I didn't see any coverage of Boston in today's newspaper or the national news websites I review each morning. NYC's fireworks were broadcast nationally by NBC, btw.
Yeah, NBC. Owned by Comcast who, in this instance, doesn't care enough about Philadelphia to give it some national air time on the 4th of July.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:54 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
NYC and DC don't need a reason. Boston is much more of a model city (lower crime, lower poverty, but with the history to boot). Philly is the poorest of the 10 big cities. That has to have something to do with it.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:15 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
NYC and DC don't need a reason. Boston is much more of a model city (lower crime, lower poverty, but with the history to boot). Philly is the poorest of the 10 big cities. That has to have something to do with it.
100% the demographics of the need to change, and the arrival of Amazon, or Schuylkill Yards or more super-bowl wins will also help.

Philadelphia needs to stand out from its Northeastern competitors in order to be noticed more and taken more seriously.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, it probably does but....

So for optics sake the city where the country began, technically speaking, should be ignored, re the 4th, because it has poor people. Okay...

Course right now I'm not entirely sure there will be a USA in a decade's time so maybe I should forget about it.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
100% the demographics of the need to change, and the arrival of Amazon, or Schuylkill Yards or more super-bowl wins will also help.

Philadelphia needs to stand out from its Northeastern competitors in order to be noticed more and taken more seriously.
OT. I'm almost convinced that Amazon has trolled/scammed cities with this hq2 business tbh.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yes, it probably does but....

So for optics sake the city where the country began, technically speaking, should be ignored, re the 4th, because it has poor people. Okay...

Course right now I'm not entirely sure there will be a USA in a decade's time so maybe I should forget about it.
We are talking about the media, so yes that could be enough of a reason.

Do you if Philadelphia had the lowest poverty rate among the nations largest cities it would still be ignored the way it is? I think not.

Crime is also not an attractive trait, Chicago seems to hold that award for large cities, but Philadelphia could easily take it back.

That being said, I don't necessarily see a problem with Philadelphia taking a back seat to NYC and DC (that won't change), but Boston is irritating, even LA.

Lets just hope in 2026 if we are still around that there will be some media coverage in Philadelphia.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
We are talking about the media, so yes that could be enough of a reason.

Do you if Philadelphia had the lowest poverty rate among the nations largest cities it would still be ignored the way it is? I think not.

Crime is also not an attractive trait, Chicago seems to hold that award for large cities, but Philadelphia could easily take it back.

That being said, I don't necessarily see a problem with Philadelphia taking a back seat to NYC and DC (that won't change), but Boston is irritating, even LA.

Lets just hope in 2026 if we are still around that there will be some media coverage in Philadelphia.
Even the ton of awful winter weather Boston gets does not stop Bostonian smugness. Of course that's a signal for MarketEl to post, once again, about Puritans vs Quaker attitudes.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:09 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Does Boston have idiots on dirt bikes riding through downtown in droves, popping wheelies and riding against traffic? Maybe it's not just dirt bikes, but also bicycles.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Does Boston have idiots on dirt bikes riding through downtown in droves, popping wheelies and riding against traffic? Maybe it's not just dirt bikes, but also bicycles.
Or flashmobs on Newbury Street?.... I agree with all of your points.

I do still think Philadelphia is unfairly overlooked though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia