Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 09:21 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,473 times

Advertisements

I like Wawa, just like everyone else. However, I’ve been told by multiple auto mechanics that their gas is substandard. Their soft pretzels are, for the most part, awful. Their sandwiches are so-so; I find their chicken salad and egg salad to be very good, but their Italian hoagies not as good as they should be. And, the bread is not top tier. That being said, they are good when you’re in a hurry.

I guess the point of this post is to see if others agree, and to figure out why the company is worshipped by so many in this region. Shouldn’t they up their game, or don’t they have to, given the aforementioned praise and worship they already receive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 09:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I like Wawa, just like everyone else. However, I’ve been told by multiple auto mechanics that their gas is substandard. Their soft pretzels are, for the most part, awful. Their sandwiches are so-so; I find their chicken salad and egg salad to be very good, but their Italian hoagies not as good as they should be. And, the bread is not top tier. That being said, they are good when you’re in a hurry.

I guess the point of this post is to see if others agree, and to figure out why the company is worshipped by so many in this region. Shouldn’t they up their game, or don’t they have to, given the aforementioned praise and worship they already receive?
Well, look at the alternatives, not just who they go head to head with, but if you drive down the east coast, who you could also stop at. WaWa looks pretty darned good in comparison.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:45 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,297,366 times
As far as the sandwiches they are not that bad, especially after being out till 2AM and your hungry as hell. Wawa has recently moved into Florida and from what I am told, becoming very popular.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:50 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
A few (maybe more) years ago, Wawa switched to making their own bread, and gave up Amoroso rolls. I dislike their Hoagies now because their bread is TOO SWEET. Guess they figured out like with other fast food, sugar is addictive. Wawa's products are generally OK, but they have a LOT of them in one place so offer a lot of convenience. I never heard bad stuff about their gas, but do know people with performance vehicles that will only buy gas at Sunoco, and Shell, so maybe there is something to it.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:04 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,762 times
I haven't been to a Wawa in years so I couldn't tell you why people worship them.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:41 AM

409 posts, read 370,045 times
I agree with Wawa being overhyped. Their stations are clean, their gas is a few cents cheaper than the competition, and their sandwiches work in a pinch. If you describe Wawa as anything more than that, it's because of Philly homerism.

Yes, it's better than your typical Exxon or Shell station. I cringe when I hear New Yorkers talk about 7-11 being part of their daily routine. At the same time, Sheetz and Royal Farms have surpassed Wawa.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:26 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,956 times
For me, the operative word with regard to Wawa is "convenience". I live in close proximity to two Wawa's, so that's where I usually buy my gas. I don't care for their hoagies, but I'm fine with their "build your own" sandwiches. In a hurry, and need to pick up a box of donuts, a beverage (love their coffee), or a healthy snack? Wawa is my go-to spot.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:46 AM

1,213 posts, read 954,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
I agree with Wawa being overhyped. Their stations are clean, their gas is a few cents cheaper than the competition, and their sandwiches work in a pinch. If you describe Wawa as anything more than that, it's because of Philly homerism.

Yes, it's better than your typical Exxon or Shell station. I cringe when I hear New Yorkers talk about 7-11 being part of their daily routine. At the same time, Sheetz and Royal Farms have surpassed Wawa.
Royal Farms just opened a few locations around here and I couldn't be more disappointed. Very unimpressed and rank them a few rungs below WaWa. Hopefully this is just a reflection on the individual stores I've visited and not the franchise. I've actually never been to a Sheetz, so can't speak to that operation.

Honestly, I think the OP is incorrectly analyzing the purpose of WaWa. In no way is it meant to actually be a competitive restaurant, but rather a one-stop option with above average products. There are few other retail establishments were one can get fuel, buy a range of hearty and/or healthy made to order food products and pick up a variety of extras all under 10 minutes. As someone with a busy schedule, I simply don't have time or desire to drive to a local deli, find parking, go through a slower and less automated ordering process, get my food, drive to another location for gas, and possibly a third for any extras I might need.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:16 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
I have also heard that Wawa treats their corporate employees well from people I know who work on the campus. They still hold family-type values even though they are a massive company.

And definitely convenience, especially in the suburbs, so you don't have to deal with a huge grocery store if you need something quick. They are great in the city too, but they unfortunately attract a lot of panhandlers and low-life people outside at night.

I also have found it interesting that people always seem to question Wawa and why Philadelphia people are "obsessed" with it. If Wawa were a New York thing, I guarantee no one would question it. Kind of a cheap shot.

Also, I would take Wawa any day of over Burger King, Wendys or any other yucky fast food places. Its great to have a decent option that most other major cities do not.

PS - My DC friends love that Wawa arrive in Dupont. Huge new market for Wawa.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:25 AM

752 posts, read 459,551 times
I agree with everything the OP wrote. It's a great convenience store and a great option for a cheap but decent lunch. But people proclaiming that their food is as good as you would get from even a mediocre, regular deli is deluded though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia