Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:42 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,291 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm not trying to start anything with the locals, but I've never been to the Philly area but I've been all around it - NYC, NNJ, NE PA, MD, DC, etc. This is not by accident - I just have never though it had much tourist appeal and is overshadowed by its neighbors.

I'd like to visit one day and prove my preconceived notions wrong. But what do all of you think of your city and metro area? How do you honestly feel when you return from NYC or DC?

I know all about the great history, universities, hospitals, institutions, pharmaceutical industry, etc. I just want to know if I should visit the city.

Also, being used to all of the other big cities in the northeast - NYC, Boston and DC, suppose I had a job opportunity in the Philly/SNJ area, do you think I'd like living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 07:35 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
I grew up in NY (Brooklyn) and moved to Philly when I was in my early 20's. I have family in Boston and have spent plenty of time there, less so in DC. I'd pick Philly over any of them - great restaurants, plenty of culture, green spaces and park areas, educational opportunities, neighborhood diversity.

But you're welcome to think what you think. Somehow Philly will survive even though you don't believe it lives up to your standards.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:11 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
lived in the nyc tri-state area all my life. also, lived in manhattan for 6 yrs. jersey for another 7 yrs. now i live in philly. & i've spent plenty of time in dc & boston.

its no manhattan, but nothing is. boston, dc, philly are all second rate in that aspect (although some of them refuse to believe it lol). but philly has as much to offer as the other two cities mentioned and cooler,grungier, real imo. but i'm not gonna knock the other two. they're fine cities too. they're more cosmopolitan, educated....but i'm not seeing much disparity between them these days. it seems like 'center city" has as many people from boston, new york and transplants from other parts of the country/world, so go figure...i would say that philly is more run down than boston/dc. it seems like it tkes forever to re-vitalize neighborhoods. short answer, stay CLOSE to center city if not in center city.

anyway, philly is an awesome beer city, great nightlife & music scene. and the sports teams??fohgettaboutit! ya know its crazy when us new yorkers talked about how insane the philly fans are.

as some people told me: "you have to know where to look". you should visit and figure it out for yourself.

Last edited by john_starks; 04-15-2008 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-15-2008, 12:16 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
We just moved to Philadelphia from Hoboken. I like New York, but don't love it. Too many people, too many high rises and WAY too expensive! I like London better if I'm honest.
I breathed a sigh of relief every time I went back to our brownstone in Hoboken that was (in comparison) affordable. We used to come to Philly a couple of times a year for long weekends staying at hotels in the Rittenhouse Square area and loved it. Lots to explore and beautiful surroundings. Now we live here!

I am a huge fan of Boston (love it!), and Philadelphia too. Philadelphia center city is gorgeous and has lots going on. It's a fantastic cross between Hoboken and Manhattan, but better. To be fair I still like Boston a little more because I am so in love with the park right in the center of town, but Philly is close behind.
I think Philly is much better than DC which was mediocre at best (IMHO) last time I was there, and as I don't love NY, I would MUCH rather live in Philly than in NYC.

My favourite parts of Philly are center city north of South Street and south of Race St and in between the two rivers. So many GORGEOUS neighborhoods and lots of bars, cafes and restaurants. The museam area (with the Rocky steps) is lovely and I LOVE Chestnut Hill area - gorgeous!

I don't really know why you would judge a place that you haven't actually been to. Seems odd to me, but oh well! Also I can't imagine chosing to visit DC over Philadelphia! Weird!

Just to add; I also love that Philly is so close to Bucks county - you can have gorgeous city and gorgeous country in the same day!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:33 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,857 times
So you visit NJ, Maryland before Philly? Both places which have far less tourist appeal than Philly?? Ok you're a wierdo.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:09 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
Hello,

I'm not trying to start anything with the locals, but I've never been to the Philly area but I've been all around it - NYC, NNJ, NE PA, MD, DC, etc. This is not by accident - I just have never though it had much tourist appeal and is overshadowed by its neighbors.
Bluntly, you're missing out, then. Philadelphia (while it is tarnished in some spots) and its suburbs are some of America's most prized gems. A metropolitan area at a fraction of the price of New York -- world-class architecture, quaint old suburbs, rich local heritage, scrumptious food, gorgeous countrysides with rolling hills, etc. I currently reside in DC for school, and while its a cool place in its own right, it just doesn't seem to have the same kind of urban culture as Philly, not to mention its outrageous to live here price-wise. Basically, if we're judging on character and vibrancy alone, there's DEFINITELY nothing "second rate" or "boring" about Philly.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:22 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
From a tourist view point I can't think of another place that has more tourist attractions, museums etc. then Philly (OK London has it beat). Only Los Angles, Washington and NY have as many things to see IMO. Boston and Chicago may be "prettier" but they don't have the volume of attractions that Philly has and no other city is even close (OK Orlando if that's your thing) I know, I have been everywhere. See what you have been missing all this time?

Last edited by bryson662001; 04-15-2008 at 01:53 PM..

Old 04-15-2008, 04:54 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
i recall an argument in a DC nightclub while waiting for the bathroom. a guy from DC was arguing with a guy from Philly as to what's a better city. those two clownshoes were arguing during the whole wait. i finally told them that it didn't matter because they both suck compared to NYC anyway. we all agreed and resumed waiting quietly for the restroom.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:58 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
Living and visiting are always two diffrent things.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:37 PM

837 posts, read 1,711,229 times
I've been in Philly too long and need to leave. But, one (of several) things that I do like about this city is the history. If you have any interest in early American history, it's a great place to indulge your interest. I remember my first year here, I was on one of my long rambling walks through Center City. I looked to my left and there was Benjamin Franklin's grave. I know not everyone cares about that sort of thing, but I thought it was pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia