Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 11:28 AM

115 posts, read 83,434 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Like many, moving has been on my mind lately. I'm in the initial pre-contemplative stages but thought I would do some opinion searching on CDF. I'm wondering if there is a similar set up in the greater Philly area to where I am in SW CT/New England. By set up, I don't mean rude people/drivers, excessive traffic, etc. I mean layout/services, things like that.

Town population ~ 25k, rolling hills, lost of trees, ample local services, nearest bigger city is ~ 20mins way (pop. of ~75k) that has a lot of shopping, dining, amenities, services, etc. NYC is about 1.5hrs away by train. Current job is about 20mins away, and I get to almost everything within a 20-25min drive (doctors, post office, grocery, dept stores, gas station, banks, etc). Basically, suburbs of NYC with a hint of rurality but definitely not rural.

Maybe there some people that have been to SW CT and know the area and can attest to what I'm describing.

I like the set up of where I live and I understand that not every place is like this. But I'm growing more and more tired each day of the excessive expenses, taxes, attitude, rush, many times brutally cold winter of this area and am looking to see if maybe the greater Philly area has something like this.

Hopefully I've made some sense to what I'm looking for in feedback/input. Feel free to ask any questions- I just ask that you keep it clean, real, and not be rude. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 12:58 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,755,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm72 View Post
Hey all,

Like many, moving has been on my mind lately. I'm in the initial pre-contemplative stages but thought I would do some opinion searching on CDF. I'm wondering if there is a similar set up in the greater Philly area to where I am in SW CT/New England. By set up, I don't mean rude people/drivers, excessive traffic, etc. I mean layout/services, things like that.

Town population ~ 25k, rolling hills, lost of trees, ample local services, nearest bigger city is ~ 20mins way (pop. of ~75k) that has a lot of shopping, dining, amenities, services, etc. NYC is about 1.5hrs away by train. Current job is about 20mins away, and I get to almost everything within a 20-25min drive (doctors, post office, grocery, dept stores, gas station, banks, etc). Basically, suburbs of NYC with a hint of rurality but definitely not rural.

Maybe there some people that have been to SW CT and know the area and can attest to what I'm describing.

I like the set up of where I live and I understand that not every place is like this. But I'm growing more and more tired each day of the excessive expenses, taxes, attitude, rush, many times brutally cold winter of this area and am looking to see if maybe the greater Philly area has something like this.

Hopefully I've made some sense to what I'm looking for in feedback/input. Feel free to ask any questions- I just ask that you keep it clean, real, and not be rude. Thanks in advance.
Hmmm. Dunno, maybe Chester Co.(PA) or parts of Bucks Co.

I really like Doylestown or maybe New Hope but both are too far away from Center City Phila. for me to make leisurely trips into town if I lived in those places.

I have to say that if you are expecting that moving to the Phila metro is going to be way less expensive than where you are you're probably going to find out otherwise.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Hmmm. Dunno, maybe Chester Co.(PA) or parts of Bucks Co.

I really like Doylestown or maybe New Hope but both are too far away from Center City Phila. for me to make leisurely trips into town if I lived in those places.

I have to say that if you are expecting that moving to the Phila metro is going to be way less expensive than where you are you're probably going to find out otherwise.
Thanks for your input. I'm not expecting the Philly metro area to be less expensive. It's probably similar. The closer one is to a city, the more expensive it gets.

I hardly go into NYC but it's nice that's relatively close by if I wanted to take a train in. I'm more of a live in the suburb guy and access a city on occasion. Last time I was in NYC was 2017.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:07 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
You will most definitely find the suburbs of Southeast Pennsylvania in many ways match that of CT and in some instances surpass.

The Main Line
Blue Bell
Bucks County areas of Newtown and Doylestown would work best.

All extremely beautiful areas. Rollings hills, rural feel, but suburban mindset.

I would also throw West Chester in there for you.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
You will most definitely find the suburbs of Southeast Pennsylvania in many ways match that of CT and in some instances surpass.

The Main Line
Blue Bell
Bucks County areas of Newtown and Doylestown would work best.

All extremely beautiful areas. Rollings hills, rural feel, but suburban mindset.

I would also throw West Chester in there for you.
Thanks! I don't know exactly how to ask this question but are those communities you mentioned close to jobs? I don't think I'd want to commute from the suburbs to, say, Center City each day. Lots of variables, I know.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:17 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,755,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm72 View Post
Thanks! I don't know exactly how to ask this question but are those communities you mentioned close to jobs? I don't think I'd want to commute from the suburbs to, say, Center City each day. Lots of variables, I know.
SAP, UniSys and Vanguard are in the suburbs as examples. While Comcast , Aramark and the premiere health system giants, PennMed, Jefferson or CHOP are in the city as other examples. Urban Outfitters is in the city as another one. Most of the top law firms are in Center City.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:19 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
The Main Line is certainly beautiful and probably one the best suburban areas in the country, but it certainly has its fair share of rush, attitude and expenses.

I would say further out toward West Chester or areas in Bucks County would fit the bill. The closer you get to Philadelphia (The Main Line), the busier it gets (even though its still beautiful).

Media is also beautiful, and the general area feels rather calm off of the main roads for being in such a densely populated area.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:50 PM

558 posts, read 299,255 times
I think you could recreate a lot of what you are describing here. Most of the suburbs are smaller than 25k population, but services and amenities are not lacking until you get pretty far out.

Like most Metros, the majority of people and the majority of jobs are in the suburbs. What industry are you in?

Old 07-14-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The Main Line is certainly beautiful and probably one the best suburban areas in the country, but it certainly has its fair share of rush, attitude and expenses.

I would say further out toward West Chester or areas in Bucks County would fit the bill. The closer you get to Philadelphia (The Main Line), the busier it gets (even though its still beautiful).

Media is also beautiful, and the general area feels rather calm off of the main roads for being in such a densely populated area.
Thanks! I'll check these places out. When you mention rush, attitude and expenses, it could be comparable to here where I live. I'll keep that in mind.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
I think you could recreate a lot of what you are describing here. Most of the suburbs are smaller than 25k population, but services and amenities are not lacking until you get pretty far out.

Like most Metros, the majority of people and the majority of jobs are in the suburbs. What industry are you in?
That's good to know, thanks. One thing I have to keep in mind is that PA is like (guessing) 10 times bigger than CT so things are spread out more in PA, which could explain why a lot of the Philly suburbs are less than the 25k population of where I live.

I'm a mental health therapist with a private practice and a full time job currently and subject to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia