Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 12:10 PM

213 posts, read 157,574 times

Advertisements

I definitely think it could revitalize. Just look at Phoenixville's revival: 20 years ago it was a dump, and now it's one of the trendy areas that's gotten remarkably better as millennials flee the city for their slice of suburban/small-town life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 03:20 PM

1,213 posts, read 955,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-nasty View Post
I definitely think it could revitalize. Just look at Phoenixville's revival: 20 years ago it was a dump, and now it's one of the trendy areas that's gotten remarkably better as millennials flee the city for their slice of suburban/small-town life.
True, but keep in mind that the “updated” Phoenixville was designed by the individual who mapped out Manayunk. This why the two towns are structured similarly - one main Street with almost all venues located there. It was almost a personal project. I don’t see this being widely replicated.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:08 PM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Most people who live in Norristown aren't driving into the city on a daily basis anyway; they work locally, in King of Prussia, Conshohocken, Blue Bell, Collegeville, etc., or Norristown itself. And if they do work in the city, they take public transportation. Perhaps you missed that part of the discussion that more than one poster has mentioned. The abundance of public transportation is one of Norristown's positive features and one of the reasons why I stay put.
A friend of mine who lived in Sharswood - he's the guy who tipped me off to the Philadelphia Housing Authority's bait-and-switch on planning for new housing in the neighborhood after it demolished two of the three Norman Blumberg towers - finally gave up on living in Philly two years ago.

He and his wife found a lovely turn-of-the-20th-century mansion on (IIRC) Haws Avenue on Norristown's west side.

To get to his housewarming, I took the (R6) Norristown line to Elm Street, then walked up Marshall. The Hispanic business district on Marshall has some gaps in it but looks to me to be in decent shape; there are a couple of restaurants I'd like to try on a future visit.

Haws Avenue is this very wide street lined with large turn-of-the-century twins with elaborate detailing, all of them well maintained. I'd say this is one of Norristown's hidden gems.

Someone else I spoke with recently who's bullish on Norristown's prospects is the broker who runs the largest real estate office in Chestnut Hill. He specializes in high-end properties but doesn't shy away from good downmarket projects either (I spoke with him at an unveiling of a new development of single-family houses on part of the Roxborough antenna farm; these houses will sell for $350k-$450k). This broker had his Christmas party last year at a photo studio and event space in an old industrial building located between West Main Street and the Schuylkill on a hard-to-get-to alleyway; the facility had that urban-loft-chic vibe, and I had a long conversation with its co-owner, whose hubby is an interior designer who basically owns the front of House Beautiful. He and I hit it off, and they think Norristown has a brighter future ahead of it too.

So many people seem to feel this way, it's got to come true someday soon. Not even ineptitude can stop that, though it can slow it down.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
True, but keep in mind that the “updated” Phoenixville was designed by the individual who mapped out Manayunk. This why the two towns are structured similarly - one main Street with almost all venues located there. It was almost a personal project. I don’t see this being widely replicated.
But where else were the shops, restaurants and brewpubs going to go? Each of those communities had a single Main Street to begin with.

And it took Manayunk about a decade to evolve into a decent destination, and another decade to evolve into a capital-D Destination. I can remember when, shortly after moving here in 1983, the only establishments one found on Main Street in Manayunk were Bill Green's United States Hotel and Janney's, plus some old corner bars (I think the Grape Street Pub is one of those). Most of the rest of the storefronts were vacant and still were five years or so later.

Phoenixville likewise didn't blossom overnight.

I see the possibility of the same thing happening in both Norristown and Pottstown, which also has a downtown oriented towards a single Main Street, albeit an extra-wide one. Norristown's downtown does extend a block or two in both directions from Main Street, but that street still has the greatest concentration of businesses.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:27 AM

558 posts, read 299,373 times
A revitalization here would take time, at least a decade or more. You are fighting a not so great school system, years of relative neglect and high taxes in the suburbs. And perceptions change slowly.

Still, the crime rate has plummeted over the past decade, what decay I have witnessed appears more worn than forlorn and the transportation and rail access are all in place already. I would not write this place off.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:11 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
I could say that about alot of philadelphia neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
So? None of this will help Norristown. Again, if Norristown and Bridgeport were going to revive( or be more than what they are )they would have already.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:31 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I could say that about alot of philadelphia neighborhoods.
I think Norristown has a lot more potential than say a Chester.

King of Prussia is a monster region, the overflow into a more naturally urban area will happen, it may start in 2020 or 2030, but I think the future of Norristown is bright not dark, not sure why Kyb01 is negative.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:31 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,087 times
She is from center city philadelphia. Used to debate her on topics for years starting back on usenet phl.media

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

King of Prussia is a monster region, the overflow into a more naturally urban area will happen, it may start in 2020 or 2030, but I think the future of Norristown is bright not dark, not sure why Kyb01 is negative.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:41 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Yeah, I think the area has a lot of potential. Being sandwiched between Conshohocken (the thirty-something semi-urban oasis) and KoP, with commuter rail to boot, is fantastic.

A lot of Norristown is actually pretty nice. It is just a matter of revitalizing the "downtown" area.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
She is from center city philadelphia. Used to debate her on topics for years starting back on usenet phl.media
She grew up on the Main Line, and I don't recall her saying she lived in CC - I think she lives in a nearby outlying neighborhood.

We've met in the flesh - when I also worked at Penn, where she still works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia