Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 11:06 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActualUDResident View Post
Please explain how something that happened in the South is somehow local.

White supremacy is not a thing locally. The vast majority of white people in this area belong to ethnic groups white supremacists hate, and there are far too many people who would never allow their crap.

That is why the commissioner needs to focus on the real issues rather than the nonsense she let happen in Portland over and over.
If I recall the story that broke recently about the emails that some activists pried open, the local supremacists already serve on the police force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 06:36 AM

409 posts, read 370,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
If I recall the story that broke recently about the emails that some activists pried open, the local supremacists already serve on the police force.
I believe what you're referring to wasn't e-mails, but public Facebook posts. And the cops weren't members of a white supremacist group, per se, but the cops made what the activists considered to be racist comments. In my mind, the posts ranged from questionable to undeniable. The fact 72 cops got taken off duty as a result, but only 13 got fired, correlates with that.

A database of comments can be found here: https://www.plainviewproject.org/data?city=philadelphia

Old 01-07-2020, 08:38 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Even though the city has been under majority Democratic control for decades doesn't mean that racial harmony and equity was a goal of everyone who voted that way. One can see it in semi-anonymous social media comments under Inquirer articles among other places. One can also see it in how Philly police officers tend to regard people of color from all economic classes but especially those from lower-income neighborhoods. Black officers often have to "go along to get along". At least in NYC, former Black and Latino officers are speaking out. But I digress...

This is all on a continuum of White supremacy. The white hoods may be all but gone but it lives on in many forms, including those who participated in the so-called "We The People" rally in November 2018.

Hopefully, Commissioner Outlaw will be able to make some headway in tackling these issues. It would be nice if FOP President McNesby were willing to work alongside her.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:54 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Even though the city has been under majority Democratic control for decades doesn't mean that racial harmony and equity was a goal of everyone who voted that way. One can see it in semi-anonymous social media comments under Inquirer articles among other places. One can also see it in how Philly police officers tend to regard people of color from all economic classes but especially those from lower-income neighborhoods. Black officers often have to "go along to get along". At least in NYC, former Black and Latino officers are speaking out. But I digress...

This is all on a continuum of White supremacy. The white hoods may be all but gone but it lives on in many forms, including those who participated in the so-called "We The People" rally in November 2018.

Hopefully, Commissioner Outlaw will be able to make some headway in tackling these issues. It would be nice if FOP President McNesby were willing to work alongside her.
We can all hope.

But don't think that black cops here have been silent: there's been a group representing their interests, the Guardian Civic League, since the late 1970s, I believe. The head of the GCL and the head of the FOP don't always see eye to eye on how the department should be run, though both said nice things about Commissioner Outlaw after she was announced - and both of them also said they had wished the city had picked a commissioner from within department ranks.

I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment. The best Police Commissioners we've had lately have come from outside the PPD.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:44 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
We can all hope.

But don't think that black cops here have been silent: there's been a group representing their interests, the Guardian Civic League, since the late 1970s, I believe. The head of the GCL and the head of the FOP don't always see eye to eye on how the department should be run, though both said nice things about Commissioner Outlaw after she was announced - and both of them also said they had wished the city had picked a commissioner from within department ranks.

I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment. The best Police Commissioners we've had lately have come from outside the PPD.
Thanks for that insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia