Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 09:41 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Well, except for that time with the whole sexual assault business.
Wasn't that nearly 20 years ago. Not excusing it but people can change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 09:51 AM

752 posts, read 460,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Wasn't that nearly 20 years ago. Not excusing it but people can change.
I think deep down, Kobe was a good guy who tried to be his best and obviously a phenom of a player. Despite the rivalry and especially the 2001 Finals, I couldn't dislike the guy. That being said, I just find it interesting how if we "like" someone, alleged rape is, you know....20 years ago and people change.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:17 AM

333 posts, read 282,820 times
Quote:
I think deep down, Kobe was a good guy who tried to be his best and obviously a phenom of a player. Despite the rivalry and especially the 2001 Finals, I couldn't dislike the guy. That being said, I just find it interesting how if we "like" someone, alleged rape is, you know....20 years ago and people change.
It complicates his legacy for sure. Yes, he was an astonishing basketball player, one of the best of all time and a surefire HOFer. But he also sexually assaulted a hotel receptionist and, while not convicted in court (because the victim refused to testify), later settled a civil suit and issued a public apology that basically all but admitted that it was rape.

So yes, we can definitely mourn the loss of his talent. And mourn for his wife and daughter, and the other victims, and the heartbroken families they all leave behind. It's a terrible tragedy. But we do have to be careful not to canonize the departed, especially in cases like this.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:50 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
It complicates his legacy for sure. Yes, he was an astonishing basketball player, one of the best of all time and a surefire HOFer. But he also sexually assaulted a hotel receptionist and, while not convicted in court (because the victim refused to testify), later settled a civil suit and issued a public apology that basically all but admitted that it was rape.

So yes, we can definitely mourn the loss of his talent. And mourn for his wife and daughter, and the other victims, and the heartbroken families they all leave behind. It's a terrible tragedy. But we do have to be careful not to canonize the departed, especially in cases like this.
Exactly. He more or less admitted to rape, and a violent rape (not that there are non-violent rapes, but I think everyone knows what I mean). Below are some statements and they are quite disturbing.

------------------
Authorities said the woman was examined at a hospital the day after the encounter and had injuries “not consistent with consensual sex.”

She also had a small bruise on her jawline and her blood was found on the T-shirt Bryant wore on the night of the incident, cops said.

In an interview with cops, Bryant allegedly admitted choking the woman but implied it was a sexual kink.
------------------

Old 01-27-2020, 05:21 PM

319 posts, read 145,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Exactly. He more or less admitted to rape, and a violent rape (not that there are non-violent rapes, but I think everyone knows what I mean). Below are some statements and they are quite disturbing.

------------------
Authorities said the woman was examined at a hospital the day after the encounter and had injuries “not consistent with consensual sex.”

She also had a small bruise on her jawline and her blood was found on the T-shirt Bryant wore on the night of the incident, cops said.

In an interview with cops, Bryant allegedly admitted choking the woman but implied it was a sexual kink.
------------------
He sodomized her against her will.

I don't care if it was twenty years ago, doing something like that is something that has to be in a person's heart.

Normal men aren't capable of rape.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:48 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
I'm a female. The possibility of sexual assault is there all the time for our entire lives. But, I believe in second chances. Maybe you don't.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:29 AM

1,697 posts, read 972,355 times
It's funny. This topic has started to emerge after the initial shock and what I find interesting is that most of the people I've heard taking on the "people change, he was a great guy" stance are women. Even my wife, which surprised me.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:42 AM

752 posts, read 460,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'm a female. The possibility of sexual assault is there all the time for our entire lives. But, I believe in second chances. Maybe you don't.
Kobe is Roman Catholic and I'm sure he repented and reconciled himself with God. I believe in second, third, fourth, etc. chances. I just wanted to respond to the "He was a real class act" comment. I think he tried to be a class act and certainly tried to amend his life after that ugly incident - I think that's where the inspiration should come from and not making it seem as though he was a saint his whole life.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:25 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,809 times
Quote:
Kobe is Roman Catholic and I'm sure he repented and reconciled himself with God. I believe in second, third, fourth, etc. chances. I just wanted to respond to the "He was a real class act" comment. I think he tried to be a class act and certainly tried to amend his life after that ugly incident - I think that's where the inspiration should come from and not making it seem as though he was a saint his whole life.
Oh phew... all good then if he repented to his god.

I think what has some people annoyed (well me at least), is how this minor indiscretion of forcible and violent rape seems to be more or less ignored in the media. I was talking to my nephews the other day and they had no idea Kobe raped a 19 year old girl in 2003. I think it's a bit disingenuous and downright dangerous to completely ignore that fact while immortalizing him.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:48 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Well, except for that time with the whole sexual assault business.
What about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia