Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think University City will overtake Center City and become the main central business district
Yes 1 2.86%
No 34 97.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 11:58 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
And that attitude is still very stubbornly persistent among many older/Boomer natives. Complain about how awful the city was in the 70s and 80s, and still complain when growth, development, and transplants change the city for the better because "this isn't the Philadelphia I grew up with". It drove me crazy when I lived there.

Though thankfully that attitude is being overshadowed by younger natives only knowing Philadelphia in its upswing, and transplants like me who chose to move and stay there for long periods because we loved it.
Same mentality with the street sweeping.

Longtime older Philadelphians: "This city is so dirty and gross."

City enacts street cleaning program...

Longtime older Philadelphians: "This is ridiculous, where are we supposed to park? How we will get to work?!"

The Inquirer posted the recent article to FB about enacting street cleaning and ticketing cars (thank goodness) and the comments on FB were beyond hilarious. If residents in every other major city manage to move their cars, Philadelphians can too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 12:55 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
The only thing I dont like about University City is the 64 Bus. One of the worst buses of the city that is always missing

Old 02-22-2020, 08:34 AM

15 posts, read 6,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post
SEPTA though? I really have no idea how some suburbanites are so averse to using public transportation in the city when comparatively we have a quite good system.

Using SEPTA starting in the suburbs devours time and adds cost. Many potential riders are not near a bus or trolley stop so they have to be willing to walk-alot, take a cab or have someone drop them off at a stop or the 69th St Terminal. It can turn into a production in a hurry. A person driving can come and go as they want not having to worry about a schedule. It's simply not convenient or easy for a lot of people.

Old 02-23-2020, 12:09 PM

121 posts, read 98,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tax2high026 View Post
Using SEPTA starting in the suburbs devours time and adds cost. Many potential riders are not near a bus or trolley stop so they have to be willing to walk-alot, take a cab or have someone drop them off at a stop or the 69th St Terminal. It can turn into a production in a hurry. A person driving can come and go as they want not having to worry about a schedule. It's simply not convenient or easy for a lot of people.
Fair and as I mentioned in other posts I am a big advocate of most regional rail lines having at least 30 minute frequencies off-peak. Convenience I can agree with you on but I am not sure depending on where you are going cost would be that different when you account for gas and parking costs. Parking in Center City and University City will get more scarce as time goes on and more gets developed and I really hope SEPTA seizes this opportunity to replace the car trips with transit trips. Successful cities are designed around the pedestrian not the car.

Old 02-24-2020, 08:58 AM

899 posts, read 540,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post
Fair and as I mentioned in other posts I am a big advocate of most regional rail lines having at least 30 minute frequencies off-peak. Convenience I can agree with you on but I am not sure depending on where you are going cost would be that different when you account for gas and parking costs. Parking in Center City and University City will get more scarce as time goes on and more gets developed and I really hope SEPTA seizes this opportunity to replace the car trips with transit trips. Successful cities are designed around the pedestrian not the car.
A lot of people really don't like using SEPTA because it's dirty and filled with weird and uncomfortable people. Especially the blue line. I live in CC and know plenty of people who never use it for this reason.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:06 AM

121 posts, read 98,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
A lot of people really don't like using SEPTA because it's dirty and filled with weird and uncomfortable people. Especially the blue line. I live in CC and know plenty of people who never use it for this reason.
And that is really unfortunate. As someone who's earliest memories is riding the El (just fyi calling it the Blue Line is a quick way to be noticed as not from here) I can attest that it can get quite dirty and cleanliness should definitely be a priority for SEPTA going forward. With that being said so is New York's subway and people ride that. The El has close to 200,000 riders per day and I wouldn't be surprised if it eclipses that soon. I am not sure your point in saying this if you live in Center City I think it would crazy to drive from CC to UC but thats me. Plus most people who have the ability to use the El to get to UC probably use it already considering the neighborhoods it runs through. The big concern in regards to parking wold be for folks from the suburbs however 30th street station has all regional rail lines running through it. The regional rail is infinitely more clean than the El. The biggest issue is frequency on the regional rail but I believe that may improve as time goes on with increased demand from a growing region with shortening parking supply.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:27 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
The only thing I dont like about University City is the 64 Bus. One of the worst buses of the city that is always missing
I must be lucky as the 64 bus has been more reliable for me than some other buses and trolleys in the neighborhood.

Old 02-24-2020, 06:28 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
I must be lucky as the 64 bus has been more reliable for me than some other buses and trolleys in the neighborhood.
It's never on schedule. Thank God for the transit app because I would miss it every morning. Some morning it comes to 49th and Chester at 7 :40 and 7:55 and other mornings it arrives at 7:48 and 8:06
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia