Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2020, 12:23 PM

752 posts, read 459,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
But, it's not really only that. I've felt a revulsion for the city way before being GF. I'm just not a fan of Philadelphia.
Quote:
So, yes, I'd leave the city, suburb, and state. Career wise, there's nothing for me here and I'm floundering. I want to experience other places. I'm 30, so we'll see. I also am not a fan of rudeness from Philly fans.
Just a piece of unsolicited advice follows. We all prefer one place to another but just because we aren’t in our preferred place doesn’t necessarily equate to being miserable. This is especially concerning given your apparent preference of Baltimore – in the big picture, the two cities are scarily similar. The biggest difference might be that Philadelphia has more transplants and therefore is less “working class East Coast jerky”, which seems to be what you want to avoid.

Follow your dreams but wherever you end up, you will be the part that’s the common factor so it’s important to make your own happiness wherever you live and wherever you work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 12:39 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,619,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briantroutman View Post
Let’s be honest here.

If you go back and look at the first post, this thread is about people who live in the City of Philadelphia who are considering moving out of the city.

I’ve seen posts of yours on other threads, and unless you’ve moved recently, you live in King of Prussia—which is not Philadelphia by any stretch of the imagination. King of Prussia is an utterly car-dependent slice of Middle America designed and built for people who think ordering a Venti Frappuccino from the heated leather seat of their premium midsize crossover is the pinnacle of human existence.

To site yourself in the middle of big box land and then bash Philadelphia and SEPTA based on your lack of specialty food stores and convenient transit is fundamentally dishonest—to yourself as well as everyone who reads your comments. If you moved into a single family home in the suburban havens of Vaughn Mills, ON or West Nyack, NY, I doubt you’d find “Toronto” or “NYC” to be such panaceas of niche cuisine or easy transit either.

I live in the city without a car, and though everything I need on a daily basis is in walking distance, I’m more than satisfied with the level of service SEPTA provides to reach nearly any point within the city plus a number of suburban destinations. No, it’s not convenient to take transit to many points in the suburbs, but in my view, that’s the fault of shortsighted developers and self-centered suburbanites—not SEPTA.

And while my dietary restriction (vegetarian) is not nearly as restrictive as yours, I can safely say I’ve never before had more options within easy reach than I do now in Philadelphia—and that includes the years I lived in the S.F. Bay Area.
Well, you like the city, I don't. I am not a Philly sports fan and get a lot of harassment because of it, hence why I do not like the city and want to move out. I want to go somewhere where there are better jobs and where I can fit in more. I don't fit in King of Prussia, the suburbs, or Philadelphia. I've lived here all my life and want out.

Right now, I work in insurance and it's awful. I want a new job and career, but I keep seeing mostly the same thing I'm doing now in the city. I have an English degree, concentration in writing, and I would like to use that degree instead of working a job that requires no skills or degree. I don't get paid very well either.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:50 PM

And besides, I invested $10,000 into Canadian immigration that I can never get back. I want to try again and try until something clicks. That was half a year's salary.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:22 PM

121 posts, read 97,909 times
A couple things. As a Philadelphian residing in Baltimore if you think the amenities are similar you clearly are either over estimating Baltimore or underestimating Philadelphia. Don't get me wrong Baltimore is an amazing city but also a MUCH SMALLER city as well. I get harassed here for wearing Eagles gear, it comes with the territory. That is something I love about both cities, we are passionate about our teams and our hometowns. Also if you think SEPTA sucks, you have never ridden the MTA hear. The busses are never on time and I don't think they have ordered a new bus since the 90s most feel like they are ready to fall apart. That being said the built environment is extremely similar with tight knit rowhome blocks and great parks.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:31 PM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
YES! They may have GF options, but most of the time they're not soy free, dairy free, or kosher. I'm soy free due to thyroid issues, I was born lactose intolerant, and I'm kosher. I'm very limited to where I can eat out, if I want to eat out.

But, it's not really only that. I've felt a revulsion for the city way before being GF. I'm just not a fan of Philadelphia.
There’s a decent number of kosher restaurants on the inner Main Line, including kosher meat establishments where you don’t have to worry about encountering dairy. Soy free and gluten free options, I’m less certain.

I can’t speak to your other dietary restrictions, but I think your lack of options is a function of living in King of Prussia as opposed to the city proper (or closer to it). Yes, I know you dislike the region regardless, as is your prerogative.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post
A couple things. As a Philadelphian residing in Baltimore if you think the amenities are similar you clearly are either over estimating Baltimore or underestimating Philadelphia. Don't get me wrong Baltimore is an amazing city but also a MUCH SMALLER city as well. I get harassed here for wearing Eagles gear, it comes with the territory. That is something I love about both cities, we are passionate about our teams and our hometowns. Also if you think SEPTA sucks, you have never ridden the MTA hear. The busses are never on time and I don't think they have ordered a new bus since the 90s most feel like they are ready to fall apart. That being said the built environment is extremely similar with tight knit rowhome blocks and great parks.
Baltimore would be perfect since I love the Ravens. But, I've ridden on MTA, Baltimore is like a second home to me. With that said, I might be better off in NYC for a year or two before Toronto. At the end of the day, I want to be a writer and writing professions are abundant in NYC. The transit is great too.

Of course, as I said in an earlier post, it all depends on where I get a job. Everything is dependent on a job. If I get a great job in Baltimore, I'd go. If I get a great job in NYC, I'd go. Who knows, I might get Toronto before any of them. My heart is set on Toronto; I love Toronto, I love Canada in general. I'd really like to live in a different country.

I'm going to start submitting pieces to build a portfolio, it's been a few years. As much as I hate my FT job, they wanted to promote me to an analyst. I said, "English majors can't be analysts." Since the job pays so low, they only require analysts to have a HS diploma. If it becomes available again, I might just say I was mistaken. Do that for a bit, pay off debt, save, and then apply. I want to move and get a better job when I am debt free or as close to debt free as possible.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
There’s a decent number of kosher restaurants on the inner Main Line, including kosher meat establishments where you don’t have to worry about encountering dairy. Soy free and gluten free options, I’m less certain.

I can’t speak to your other dietary restrictions, but I think your lack of options is a function of living in King of Prussia as opposed to the city proper (or closer to it). Yes, I know you dislike the region regardless, as is your prerogative.
I know that, but I can't get to the Main Line and don't really like hanging out in the Main Line. Very expensive and very upscale. I don't make much money at both jobs, so costs limit a lot. I still live with my folks and I mostly just cook myself. My grocery bill doubled, at times tripled, when I got diagnosed with Celiac two years ago. I'm still learning how to adjust, especially monetarily. It's expensive.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post
One category where Baltimore may actually win is kosher restaurants. Yes, Philly’s Jewish population is much larger in absolute numbers and somewhat larger as a percentage of the population, but Baltimore’s community is still fairly large, and it’s very heavily Orthodox. Philly is a middling city as far as its Orthodox share of the Jewish population goes.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I know that, but I can't get to the Main Line and don't really like hanging out in the Main Line. Very expensive and very upscale. I don't make much money at both jobs, so costs limit a lot. I still live with my folks and I mostly just cook myself. My grocery bill doubled, at times tripled, when I got diagnosed with Celiac two years ago. I'm still learning how to adjust, especially monetarily. It's expensive.
Like I said, I know you dislike the region regardless so it’s a somewhat moot point. But there are options. Eating out kosher will be expensive wherever you are, by the way.

Old 03-20-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
One category where Baltimore may actually win is kosher restaurants. Yes, Philly’s Jewish population is much larger in absolute numbers and somewhat larger as a percentage of the population, but Baltimore’s community is still fairly large, and it’s very heavily Orthodox. Philly is a middling city as far as its Orthodox share of the Jewish population goes.
Yes! I know Baltimore is pretty good and Toronto seemed good too.

I was raised Catholic, but did my DNA and found out I'm part Ashkenazi. My dad was adopted. I left Catholicism years ago, did a lot of trying out with other faiths, but now I'm learning about my heritage. I really like it.

Yes, I know kosher and halal are VERY expensive. Combine it with GF and dairy free, it's even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia