Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2020, 03:44 PM

899 posts, read 541,509 times

Advertisements

I like Baltimore because it's easy to get around quickly (if you have a car). I have family in Baltimore's Ruxton and Roland Park, which is their equivalent of Chestnut Hill and the Main Line, and from both places it's under 15 minutes to the train station or inner harbor assuming no traffic. Can't say that about Philadelphia! It takes forever to get around.

Philadelphia is a different class of its own when it comes to urban living and cultural amenities. Nothing in Baltimore compares to Center City or the cultural resources of Philadelphia's museums or the Kimmel Center or the extensive dining scene. Baltimore is absolutely a much smaller town. But it has its charms. And it has a waterfront and waterfront vibe that Philadelphia will never have no matter how much money they spend on wasted projects along the Delaware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 03:48 PM

14,191 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Baltimore would be perfect since I love the Ravens. But, I've ridden on MTA, Baltimore is like a second home to me. With that said, I might be better off in NYC for a year or two before Toronto. At the end of the day, I want to be a writer and writing professions are abundant in NYC. The transit is great too.

Of course, as I said in an earlier post, it all depends on where I get a job. Everything is dependent on a job. If I get a great job in Baltimore, I'd go. If I get a great job in NYC, I'd go. Who knows, I might get Toronto before any of them. My heart is set on Toronto; I love Toronto, I love Canada in general. I'd really like to live in a different country.

I'm going to start submitting pieces to build a portfolio, it's been a few years. As much as I hate my FT job, they wanted to promote me to an analyst. I said, "English majors can't be analysts." Since the job pays so low, they only require analysts to have a HS diploma. If it becomes available again, I might just say I was mistaken. Do that for a bit, pay off debt, save, and then move.
Writer of the literary or journalistic variety? Or some other flavor?

In any case, I feel ya.

This is the fifth-biggest media market in the country, but - maybe thanks to its location - our news media scene here feels to me like a Triple-A farm club in pro baseball.

There comes a point where, if you really want journalism's glittering prizes, you must leave Philadelphia. 90 miles north, 150 miles south, makes little difference.

But there's this odd thing: the reporters I've known personally who have done that still feel affection for this place. At least one of them maintains her membership in the Pen & Pencil Club, our local press club (and the oldest in the country in continuous daily operation), on whose Board of Governors I sit. It's a very convivial bunch of people, our members; once we get past the worst of COVID-19 and we reopen, if you'd be interested in seeing it, I'd be happy to show it to you.

Old 03-20-2020, 04:41 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,625,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Writer of the literary or journalistic variety? Or some other flavor?

In any case, I feel ya.

This is the fifth-biggest media market in the country, but - maybe thanks to its location - our news media scene here feels to me like a Triple-A farm club in pro baseball.

There comes a point where, if you really want journalism's glittering prizes, you must leave Philadelphia. 90 miles north, 150 miles south, makes little difference.

But there's this odd thing: the reporters I've known personally who have done that still feel affection for this place. At least one of them maintains her membership in the Pen & Pencil Club, our local press club (and the oldest in the country in continuous daily operation), on whose Board of Governors I sit. It's a very convivial bunch of people, our members; once we get past the worst of COVID-19 and we reopen, if you'd be interested in seeing it, I'd be happy to show it to you.
Well, I have a general writing degree (minors in Philosophy and creative writing)and when I was in college, I had a paid internship with technical writing and training. I was employed by WCU, where I graduated from, and I worked in their Software Application Training department. I used to write manuals for Office, Windows, Snagit, and fraud. I taught classes about Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Mail Merge, and Snagit. I also sat with faculty/staff for one on one training, and also assisted with conferences by setting up projectors, computers, and making sure everything was functioning. I loved that job.

Unfortunately, most of those types of jobs require a license because many of the companies I looked at (who also have locations in other states and countries... easy to transfer) wanted me to travel to train. I applied at my current job for the tech coordinator, but I didn't get it. My manager doesn't like me and told me, "you should be an analyst since you love technology and Office." I told her, "I thought the tech coordinator was a better match." Then she went on to tell me, "you will never make any money as a writer, you are a loser, you will never get to Canada, you are a loser." Then she added, "you just want to be happy. Well, happiness doesn't exist. Most people go to work for a paycheck, not to be happy at their job! You're also too old to apply for new jobs! Most jobs want recent grads, not someone who is 30!" Uh, what?!

Sorry for that aside. I would LOVE to get into journalism. In college, I used to submit editorials for the school newspaper. I used to write about travel, as well as local happenings. Up until a few years ago, I used to submit travel pieces to different websites. Wasn't paid much, but I enjoyed it and I added to my portfolio.

I may kvetch about Philly, but there are some aspects I do enjoy. I belong to a few communities and I enjoy the people of the communities. To help my low grade depression, especially after I was involved in a violent crime, it helped me to get out there and meet others. I also love the piercing place I frequent and the tattoo parlor I started going to in November. Great people.

I would love to take you up on that offer. Thank you!

Last edited by jessxwrites89; 03-20-2020 at 04:51 PM..

Old 03-22-2020, 01:07 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Haha, yeah. But, we used to vacation a lot in Baltimore when I was growing up. My dad loves that city and I have loved the city too.

Toronto is my most favourite city. Some day soon...
I suppose you understand by now that emigrating to Canada is pretty involved and more than a question of "crossing the border".

My father's family was originally from Baltimore and the Eastern Shore of MD. I only have one cousin who still lives there. Been there many times but the city itself really does not matter to me. I also pretty much despise American League MLB so that alone is enough to keep me exactly where I am.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Well, you like the city, I don't. I am not a Philly sports fan and get a lot of harassment because of it, hence why I do not like the city and want to move out. I want to go somewhere where there are better jobs and where I can fit in more. I don't fit in King of Prussia, the suburbs, or Philadelphia. I've lived here all my life and want out.

Right now, I work in insurance and it's awful. I want a new job and career, but I keep seeing mostly the same thing I'm doing now in the city. I have an English degree, concentration in writing, and I would like to use that degree instead of working a job that requires no skills or degree. I don't get paid very well either.
In a matter of days there will thousands of people scrambling for any kind of employment even with the prospect of unemployment benefits which may take weeks to process. There will be a lot more official infections and deaths. And probably soon you will not be able to move too much at all most anywhere as more place are locked down.

The border between the US and Canada is closed, btw, at least temporarily.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Baltimore would be perfect since I love the Ravens. But, I've ridden on MTA, Baltimore is like a second home to me. With that said, I might be better off in NYC for a year or two before Toronto. At the end of the day, I want to be a writer and writing professions are abundant in NYC. The transit is great too.

Of course, as I said in an earlier post, it all depends on where I get a job. Everything is dependent on a job. If I get a great job in Baltimore, I'd go. If I get a great job in NYC, I'd go. Who knows, I might get Toronto before any of them. My heart is set on Toronto; I love Toronto, I love Canada in general. I'd really like to live in a different country.

I'm going to start submitting pieces to build a portfolio, it's been a few years. As much as I hate my FT job, they wanted to promote me to an analyst. I said, "English majors can't be analysts." Since the job pays so low, they only require analysts to have a HS diploma. If it becomes available again, I might just say I was mistaken. Do that for a bit, pay off debt, save, and then apply. I want to move and get a better job when I am debt free or as close to debt free as possible.
NYC is kind of imploding as I write this. So much of what you are striving for personally will likely be put on hold for an indefinite period of time.

Old 03-22-2020, 03:23 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,625,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I suppose you understand by now that emigrating to Canada is pretty involved and more than a question of "crossing the border".

My father's family was originally from Baltimore and the Eastern Shore of MD. I only have one cousin who still lives there. Been there many times but the city itself really does not matter to me. I also pretty much despise American League MLB so that alone is enough to keep me exactly where I am.
Duh, I know that and that's why I'm not there. I invested about $10,000 just to get invited under the economic class I matched, which was young professional. Crossing the boarder is illegal and I would not dare such a thing. That would mess up future legal entries. When I was refused because my full-time job didn't write the letter I needed, the government told me I could apply again at any time. Major health issues and financial issues cropped up and that's why I didn't reapply. I hope to once I get the financial stuff taken care of. I'm healthier now.

Don't treat me like I'm stupid. I know what it takes to move and I'm not at that point yet. I hope to soon and I really hope I can get another job that is my degree field and pays me more than $17/hour, and has cheaper benefits. My insurance from the company costs me $240/month, and has $500 deductible. It's expensive and awful coverage.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:54 AM

1,697 posts, read 973,987 times
Whoa. Relax.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:52 AM

75 posts, read 66,920 times
Far too much of this thread has focused on someone who hates Philly (but lives in King of Prussia), and plans to move out of the area. I think we should move on, considering this thread is for users considering leaving the -city-. If you don’t live in Philly (or a comparable city for that matter), I’m not really that interested in your perspective. I mean no offense, but it is greatly off-topic.

I enjoy living here immensely, and Philly is certainly one of my favorite cities in the country, but my partner and I are considering leaving for her career path. I could work remotely for most of the week, so we have entertained the idea of living in NYC or DC. I’m not much of a fan of the Disney Land nature of DC, but the architecture and transportation infrastructure are great. If we moved to New York, it would likely be around Kensington or Ditmas Park (which feel most similar to my current neighborhood of Spruce Hill).

Old 03-23-2020, 09:08 AM

14,191 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjozac View Post
F
I enjoy living here immensely, and Philly is certainly one of my favorite cities in the country, but my partner and I are considering leaving for her career path. I could work remotely for most of the week, so we have entertained the idea of living in NYC or DC. I’m not much of a fan of the Disney Land nature of DC, but the architecture and transportation infrastructure are great. If we moved to New York, it would likely be around Kensington or Ditmas Park (which feel most similar to my current neighborhood of Spruce Hill).
Brooklyn, or Queens?

The former is the neighborhood whose residents are moving to Philly in the greatest numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia