Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 02:34 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
They will spread the virus to other bozos. I'm okay with that.

But they will not spread it to those of us taking precautions because, for example, they won't be allowed in stores if they refuse to wear a mask, thereby preventing them from breathing on someone who is being smart about this. And as for those of us being smart about this? I don't know about you, but if I was out and about (with my mask) and ran into someone not wearing a mask, I'd spin around and start walking in the other direction very quickly.
For those of us with kids and family members in need of care, it's a lot harder. Vaccination schedules and doctor appointments, walking down the sidewalk and making a turn on a dime is not so easy. Bozos do a good job of spreading the disease. And our family members are not perfect. Even if they are not being careless with their activities/distance, people catch it while they're working. I have family members that still work in a physical location. One is a medical worker.

At the end of the day, the bozos DO have an impact on all of us. And the overall bozos add to the population of new cases and deaths that keep us in "red" and shut down. That's a big part of my gripe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 04:01 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The thing is, this virus has a mortality rate higher than the flu strains that have popped up of late, including H1N1, the one that came closest to this.

And we all should remember these facts:
  • While older individuals and those with co-morbidities are indeed at greater risk of dying than the population as a whole, and while most of the rest of the population as a whole will probably not get a serious case of COVID-19 if they get the virus, that last is still a crapshoot; recall that a thirtysomething female New York Times staffer with no health issues wrote about her coming down with the genuine-article full-blown disease and has lingering aftereffects. Anyone who has come down with another serious respiratory illness and recovered is not immune to this one and IIRC is considered immunocompromised; I know at least one such individual about half my age. And there's that new respiratory infection that young children get from contracting the virus; this illness was unknown prior to SARS-CoV-2's arrival here.
  • As the virus made its way to these shores, we knew less about how it spread than we do now, and we're still learning. We now know that the likelihood of contracting it is lower in outdoor environments than indoor ones, and that prolonged exposure to the virus increases one's chances of getting it.
  • The whole purpose of the lockdowns was to avoid overwhelming the hospitals, as happened in Italy. So far, that has happened everywhere in this country save New York City. The decisions were made in March out of "an abundance of caution" (our editor's words when we were informed we at Phillymag would be working from home a week and a half before Gov. Wolf put the state on lockdown), and it appears that the abundant caution has largely succeeded at flattening the curve.
  • And while Florida may have dodged a bullet, New Orleans didn't.

Since we are on a glide path towards full resumption of business, I don't see the harm in continuing to act out of an abundance of caution. Preliminary reports suggest we won't see spikes of the kind that occurred when the first outbreaks occurred, but we really need to let another week or two before reaching any definitive conclusion that we have completely passed out of the danger zone and can just go back to the way we did things pre-COVID without skipping a beat.

Or maybe we might if we install more public sinks or washfountains.
While having a discussion about older and the vulnerable with someone who works for the court system, I was asking how lenient will the courts be when it comes to jury duty once the courts start back up?

Currently JD is mandatory up to the age of 75, unless there is a Dr note stating a person meets a certain medical criteria for being excused. I would think fear alone in the 60 to 75 age group would be enough for automatic dismissal while this virus is still out there. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Old 05-29-2020, 08:55 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
While having a discussion about older and the vulnerable with someone who works for the court system, I was asking how lenient will the courts be when it comes to jury duty once the courts start back up?

Currently JD is mandatory up to the age of 75, unless there is a Dr note stating a person meets a certain medical criteria for being excused. I would think fear alone in the 60 to 75 age group would be enough for automatic dismissal while this virus is still out there. Anyone have thoughts on that?
I thought the jury duty age cut off was 70. But in any case good question. All seniors should automatically be excused during the coming new era especially if they have been summoned multiple times like I have. Enough already.

I did read somewhere that courts may open in September.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:00 AM

Phila. area, including the city, goes from red to yellow on 6/5. It's official. Still restrictions and we do not want to ********** up. We will go back to red if we do.

Old 05-30-2020, 06:15 AM

3,145 posts, read 1,602,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
The British papers are reporting that the ONS (office of national statistics) in the UK did a study showing 70% of COVID-19 infections are asymptomatic, showing no symptoms. It's quite high and of course more studies need to be performed as well as to check for any false positives. But it remains, and it has always been the case for the last few months, that the vast majority of COVID-19 infections are either asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms not requiring hospitalization at all.

It doesn't mean the virus isn't lethal to some people, but it's quite clear what it takes to have the virus pose a fatal threat to you. Advanced age combined with advanced health problems. Among the rare younger cases, these victims had significant health problems usually related to obesity (not mild but substantial obesity).

Yet we have people and the media running around assuming that everyone is equally at risk of suffering badly or dying from the virus. It's a great disservice and this paranoia is largely due to excessive media pandering to doom and gloom for the clickbaits, as well as overly-cautious/over zealous government officials.

As the dust is slowly settling, it's becoming increasingly clear governors like Wolf and Cuomo handled the response terribly compared to governors like DeSantis of Florida. That they allowed COVID-19 patients to return to nursing homes is an outright scandal as commonsense easily told you back in February and March that you must do everything to keep COVID-19 out of nursing homes and senior care facilities. But their ineptitude and mass shutdowns encouraged too many people to think they were at high risk of dying from the virus.

I am sure family members with loved ones in nursing homes would agree with you.

"Pennsylvania this week ratcheted up the effort to control outbreaks at long-term care facilities, telling facilities to begin large-scale testing of residents and employees regardless of whether they are sick. The state had previously said only residents and employees with symptoms should be tested."

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/0...ed-monday.html

Speaking of cover ups --
"Pa. caves to pressure, reveals data showing COVID-19 battered smaller nursing homes"
https://whyy.org/articles/in-philade...s-the-hardest/

Just think of the lost opportunity cost of reopenings tied to nursing home infections.

Last edited by Maddie104; 05-30-2020 at 07:26 AM..

Old 05-30-2020, 08:00 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
They will spread the virus to other bozos. I'm okay with that.

But they will not spread it to those of us taking precautions because, for example, they won't be allowed in stores if they refuse to wear a mask, thereby preventing them from breathing on someone who is being smart about this. And as for those of us being smart about this? I don't know about you, but if I was out and about (with my mask) and ran into someone not wearing a mask, I'd spin around and start walking in the other direction very quickly.
You obviously haven’t walked around Center City. You’d be lucky to make your way to the next corner.

Old 05-30-2020, 08:12 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
I was shocked that Philly courts won't reopen until September.
How the heck do you have a society that hold people accountable under the law, and the courts are closed for months, and months -- and months. And you let people out of jail who should still be there.

Among other things, I suppose that this virus "situation/challenge" :
-- is another reminder of what's "truly important" like one's health and loved ones.
-- has edified some people about how jobs they might have shamed some people about are more "essential" than their own
-- put some illumination on rules and regs that people try to say are so needed, but-- what-do-you-know....when it comes down to it are "theater" enacted to make people feel safe or feel good -- but are not even needed...evidenced by the fact that they've been changed or waived for three months and counting.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:01 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Phila. area, including the city, goes from red to yellow on 6/5. It's official. Still restrictions and we do not want to ********** up. We will go back to red if we do.
Hopefully I will be able to go to these places to go and pick up dinner? I know U cant dine in yet

Qdoba
Subway
Panera Bread
District Taco
Boston Market

Old 05-30-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
You obviously haven’t walked around Center City. You’d be lucky to make your way to the next corner.
In Fairmount/Spring Garden I see more masks than not on adults. But, on toddlers none.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Hopefully I will be able to go to these places to go and pick up dinner? I know U cant dine in yet

Qdoba
Subway
Panera Bread
District Taco
Boston Market
Probably. But wait and see.

Consider yourself lucky you don't live in San Francisco where the lockdown will go on indefinitely. How their restaurant scene can actually recover is beyond me. We may be able to recover some if, again, we do not mess up this yellow phase. If Delaware, Bucks, Montgomery, Chester go green first you get back much of Ardmore, Media, KoP( kinda)....rest of Main Line.

And, ugh, if we can avoid protesting morphing into rioting as it has elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia